Smokepole
11-01-2007, 03:30 PM
NEWS RELEASE NEWS RELEASE NEWS RELEASE
November 1, 2007
STUDENTS
COMPETITIVE SHOTGUN SPORTS
BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE CHAIN O’ LAKES SPORTSMEN’S CLUB
FREE SHOOTING DAY!
Would you enjoy the competitive nature of shotgun shooting? Have you ever wanted to try competitive shotgun sports, but never had the opportunity? Now is your chance!

All students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian and are invited to attend a “free shooting day” at Chain O’ Lakes Sportsmen’s Club (COLSC) located three miles west of Mancelona on Peterson Road, one quarter mile east of M-88. Shooting starts at Noon on Saturday, November 10, 2007. Directions may be found at the clubs website www.colsc.org

The program will consist of Five-Stand Sporting Clays and is available for any enrolled student from the 12th grade on down. Students are requested to bring their own shotguns. Ammunition and clay targets will be furnished. Hands on assistance and instruction will be provided.

Beyond this free shooting day you will have the opportunity to compete as a team member of the Chain O’ Lakes Sportsmen’s Club’s Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP). The Program is nationwide and functions under the auspices of the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF). SCTP is an opportunity open to all students and is a pathway to competition at the regional, state, national and international levels, including Olympic competition.

Shotgun sports are not just for the biggest, fastest, or strongest student and they’re not just for boys! From one high school alone 54 students came out for the shooting team and almost half of them were girls. The teams coach, Carol Fox said, “It puts everyone on a level playing field.....it gives them a niche. It teaches them great discipline, self control and camaraderie…..all good things to take with them into adulthood.”

Please join us at Noon on November 10, 2007
and see what your future may hold.

MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS

1. All guns brought onto COLSC grounds must be cased, unloaded, actions open, and NOT REMOVED FROM VEHICLES OR HANDLED IN ANY WAY until directed by COLSC personnel to do so.

2. SAFETY FIRST! Before any guns are handled on COLSC property there will be a safety presentation which is mandatory for everyone in attendance. Everyone present will strictly follow all safety rules without exception.

3. Hearing and eye protection are also mandatory, bring your own.

CONTACT: Doug Fowler dfowler376@torchlake.com (H) 231-264-6905

fbuckner
11-01-2007, 06:46 PM
If I lived closer I would come by to help out. Sounds like a great program and a great way to get kids into the shooting sports. I Applaude you sir and your club

Smokepole
11-01-2007, 07:04 PM
We're getting a lot done in just the year and a half since we opened.
We already offer more shooting activities than clubs up here that have been around for decades, and we are going to keep increasing those levels as we can.
...Hunter safety, SCTP, etc. all work to build community awareness of the club, support for it, and membership in it.

Smokepole
11-12-2007, 07:36 PM
CHAIN O’ LAKES SPORTSMAN’S CLUB
SCHOLASTIC CLAY TARGET PROGRAM

FREE SHOOTING DAY
November 10, 2007
On Saturday, November 10, 2007, the Chain O’ Lakes Sportsman’s Club (COLSC), Peterson Rd, at M-88 Custer Township, held a Free Shooting Day for area youths. Twelve young people, accompanied by their parents, and guided by experienced COLSC members (www.colsc.org) commenced with the inaugural event of SCTP to this area’s youth.

The purpose of the free shooting day was to introduce area young people to the Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP), a nationwide program of organized shotgun competition in sporting clays, trap and skeet. SCTP was started in 2001 under the guidance of the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF). Beginning with 700 youth from the twelfth grade on down, by 2006 the organization had grown to over 8,300 participants competing regionally, state-wide and nationally in the shooting sports disciplines.

The Chain O’ Lakes Sportsman’s Club is sponsoring and supporting a SCTP program in the northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan. Squads of local teens, trained by club members and supported by COLSC will begin competition in their selected shotgun sports in the spring of 2008. All preparations and training will take place at COLSC during the winter months.

The group of enthusiasts who shot at COLSC last Saturday included kids from the fifth grade through seniors in high school. They were first presented with an overview of SCTP, then a session on gun safety in general, and safe shotgun handling in particular, before they stepped onto the shooting line. They shot in squads of 3 to 5 at clay targets coming individually from eight separate traps, moving at various speeds and angles, some from the left and some from the right, some angling in, some angling away, some hanging high in the sky and some flashing straight across their field of vision, including a Bouncing bunny clay. Assisted by the coaching of experienced COLSC members, the grins on each youngster’s face steadily increased in direct proportion to the increase in the number of broken clays appearing off the end of their gun barrels.

One parent commented that their child has wanted for some time to be able to engage in organized shotgun training and competition but that until COLSC announced the SCTP free shoot day he could find nothing available in this area. At sign-up, every parent expressed their appreciation for the opportunity COLSC was providing their child to be trained in the safe use of guns, and the opportunity to compete in shotgun sports.

Brian Kroll, Chairman of the Chain O’ Lakes Sportsman’s Club, stated that SCTP is one example of the clubs responsibility to area youth, and just as importantly, the clubs responsibility to be a positive resource for area communities as well. Doug Fowler, the Club’s Secretary, and SCTP event organizer hopes that the program keeps growing in popularity at the club. Interested Youth, and parents can contact Doug direct at: DFOWLER376@TORCHLAKE.COM , or 231-264-6905. the club also has an ongoing youth shooting program at heavily discounted rates

Businesses, manufacturers, associations, service clubs or individuals are encouraged to consider assisting in underwriting the cost of the program for ammunition, clay targets, and travel expenses. Such sponsors will receive prominent ad space on club shooting apparel and the knowledge that you are directly involved in youth character development, responsibility, self-discipline, commitment and sportsmanship.

Information about the club and its ongoing activities, membership and members to contact can be found at the clubs website www.colsc.org.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/nevali/bsk/colsckids.jpg

fbuckner
11-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Looks like a great day was had !! Keep up the good work this is where they are molded into future gun owners and protectors of the 2a rights.

KayL
11-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Excellent, Brian. You have much to be proud of.

Smokepole
11-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Personally, kids drive me nuts!
BUT, if we're going to raise the little ***** to respect firearms, and be safe with them, we have to get em when they're young. If Drivers Education is the right thing to do, and it is, then teaching young people respect for firearms and how to properly use them is no less important.
...Fortunately, up here the great outdoors, hunting, self reliance, and self defense are all very acceptable and we get great support from the community.
...I really don't do that much, except to try and channel the energies of some great Founders who helped me get this thing off the ground.
...After a year and a half now, we offer more activities at this club than other clubs that have been in the area for decades.
...We have more activities planned in the future, and with the team I am blessed to work with, we will exceed all expectations.

KayL
11-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh..... what a GRINCH you are!

Smokepole
11-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Just don't tell anybody that doesn't already know!
...I'm a hard nosed, retired business man, who expects results greater than the efforts I expend.
...That's called return on investment. (ROI)
I am also a passionate Second Amendment activist because of two major events in my life, and what I continue to witness to this day.
...Americans can meet any challenge, as long as they hold dear the constitutional foundation that empowers them to achieve, and to excel.
...The Second Amendment is part of that foundation, and it is there to protect our ability to persevere, and to continue to achieve.
...Our Young people need to properly learn their place in our society, and to preserve and to protect our constitution, including the Second Amendment.

KayL
11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Just don't tell anybody that doesn't already know!
I promise... It will be our little secret.

You're a good man, Smoke Pole.