PDA

View Full Version : FrogLube

Nater018
02-08-2013, 03:29 PM
I've been hearing about this stuff for quite some time now and finally picked it up a few weeks back from Black Ops Gunsmithing. They have the complete kits with the storage tubes for like 35 bucks I think it was? Alls I can say is it's pretty sweet! I followed the instructions...heating up the metal then applying the paste. I actually set my oven to 150 and left the door cracked. I'd set the parts in there until they were warm to the touch then apply the paste. That stuff is like butter and just melts into the metal. When it cooled I wiped off the excess and it like forms this waterproof protective barrier. I ran my Model 11 barrel under the faucet and the water just beads off. With the kit I did two ARs, a Model 11, and three handguns. I've got plenty of lube left...so I think it's a priced right for what you get.

Anybody else out there try it?

duck9191
02-08-2013, 03:43 PM
I have always heard great things about it so last week Ithrew some in to my midway order and got to try it out last night . I see why everyone is talking about it worked great. I normally use slip and it works well, but the difference when functioning the weapon it felt much smoother. Also rocked for cleaning, was really surprised on how well it broke down the crud. Think I'll be stocking up on it on my next order.

Didn't get to try the past yet, that will be tonight.

Nater018
02-08-2013, 05:29 PM
I have always heard great things about it so last week Ithrew some in to my midway order and got to try it out last night . I see why everyone is talking about it worked great. I normally use slip and it works well, but the difference when functioning the weapon it felt much smoother. Also rocked for cleaning, was really surprised on how well it broke down the crud. Think I'll be stocking up on it on my next order.

Didn't get to try the past yet, that will be tonight.

Yeah the paste is pretty neat...like I said it melts like butter when put on the warmed up metal. I guess my only complaint was that you have to strip all the old clp and petroleum based lube off with alcohol...I guess that's just my lack of patience!

XG8
02-14-2013, 10:23 AM
I've used it for the past month as well. I agree, the slide action on my FNP45 is a lot smoother after the 2nd coating. I've applied it to all of my handguns and a few of the shotguns I own as well. Everything has really become smoother in operation. Like it's gliding on itself. If anyone is considering purchasing it, its a definite buy.

lee
02-18-2013, 03:40 PM
FYI only. GB2 tactical in Allen Park carries Froglube.

oldskoolford427
02-18-2013, 04:09 PM
I like my Rig rag with Rig universal grease to wipe down my firearms. No oven needed.

jaguarxk120
02-18-2013, 05:11 PM
I like my Rig rag with Rig universal grease to wipe down my firearms. No oven needed.

+1

Quantum007
02-18-2013, 05:41 PM
I have been using it on my AR for over a year and a half now. It does well in all temp ranges and has been awesome for cleaning. As far as the paste went I cleaned up all my shell holders that had surface rust on them and put them in a mason jar on a candle warmer filled with the paste. After letting them set there for a couple of hours I cleaned them off and so far, knock on wood no rust. It's bio based, no hazmat, and doesn't stink to use in the house. I'm not willing to say it's the best thing ever, but so far it seems to work as advertised, and I'm quite happy with it.

Nater018
02-20-2013, 08:45 AM
I have been using it on my AR for over a year and a half now. It does well in all temp ranges and has been awesome for cleaning. As far as the paste went I cleaned up all my shell holders that had surface rust on them and put them in a mason jar on a candle warmer filled with the paste. After letting them set there for a couple of hours I cleaned them off and so far, knock on wood no rust. It's bio based, no hazmat, and doesn't stink to use in the house. I'm not willing to say it's the best thing ever, but so far it seems to work as advertised, and I'm quite happy with it.

That's awesome! Yeah I really haven't heard anything bad about FLube...I guess cleaning a gun isn't rocket science, but it's cool buying the lastest and greatest and it actually living up to it's reputation. What's GB2 Tactical charging for it? Do they have the kits there? Like I said before, www.blackopsgunsmithing.com has the best price I've found so far.

RSF
02-20-2013, 09:05 AM
I tried it it's ok I'll stick to slip2000 no need to heat or treat the guns

CnA
02-20-2013, 09:29 AM
I have some experience in Tribology in the automotive field and I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of high priced specialty gun lubes is just marketing hype.

That said, I did buy some Frog lube only because my wife is highly sensitive to oil and and hates the smell it. Frog lube smells like Icy Hot or Ben Gay and is very minty. I put some Frog lube on her carry gun and she is not bothered by the smell.

Nater018
02-27-2013, 02:33 PM
I have some experience in Tribology in the automotive field and I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of high priced specialty gun lubes is just marketing hype.

That said, I did buy some Frog lube only because my wife is highly sensitive to oil and and hates the smell it. Frog lube smells like Icy Hot or Ben Gay and is very minty. I put some Frog lube on her carry gun and she is not bothered by the smell.

Dude I am totally the same way! When I first heard about it my "BS" radar was going off. However after reading some reviews and actually using it, I'm hooked. Even like you said, just for the smell...not all petroleum carcinogen like...I've made enough life choices to start growing some tumors soon...so one less reason is all the better!

duck9191
02-27-2013, 04:01 PM
I tried it it's ok I'll stick to slip2000 no need to heat or treat the guns

I have used slip2000 for a long time but everything feels much smoother with frog lube, and I used the liquid not the paste so its the same as using slip. Slip does creep better and is still good over all ooption.

Slossar1004
07-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Old post but +1 for Frog Lube. Replaced allof my Hoppes trash & the tried and true Break Free CLP.

I was under the impression that the liquid in the spray bottle was all you needed during the initial "conversion" to Frog Lube. That's all I did, no alcohol.

I don't heat anything up. Cover everything in the Lube, scrub it, let it sit, clean it off, lube friction points and wipe it down with the micro fiber towel.

The wife appreciates it too because now she doesn't have flashbacks to her dad cleaning guns at the kitchen table stinking the whole house up with solvents and oils.

Mirow82
07-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Ive used it on several Firearms. Never had a problem.

XG8
07-20-2013, 05:05 PM
I've been using Froglube for about the past year now. My initial review was that it is awesome. I still hold true to that. I have an FNS9 in stainless that gets tremendously dirty after a range trip. Any carbon buildup seriously wipes off without much need for scrubbing. I followed the instructions for the initial application, but I figured I'll just keep the wife's heat gun at the bench and re apply with heat all the time. My guns are all super slick now.

I experimented with the presoaked pads they sell also, work just as great as well.

+1 to frog lube.

amontana086
07-21-2013, 04:59 AM
IMO frog lubes overrated and more hype than anything. I got on board the slip 2000 hype a few years back but that was a big improvement over clp and I've switched to using slip on most of my guns even the russians. I tried to switch to frog lube but I just couldn't find it worth it to go through the heating hassle.

bae125
07-21-2013, 07:53 PM
IMO frog lubes overrated and more hype than anything. I got on board the slip 2000 hype a few years back but that was a big improvement over clp and I've switched to using slip on most of my guns even the russians. I tried to switch to frog lube but I just couldn't find it worth it to go through the heating hassle.

I'm kind of on board with that, about half my guns have slip and the other froglube...both do a great job and are non-toxic. Personal preference is what it comes down to I think,

jjkukla
08-10-2013, 09:04 AM
I was on the fence a while back, trying to decide between Frog Lube and Fire Clean. I ultimately chose Fire Clean but I don't think you can go wrong with either product. Grade A stuff!

Iambusy3
04-08-2014, 09:21 PM
I mostly use Strike Hold but I actually use Frog lube on cases that I am resizing. Works great.

jmonarch
05-20-2014, 11:34 AM
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/141077-Results-of-gun-care-product-evaluation

Someone at the link above did what I think is a great job of comparing 46 different gun care products. He rated them based on oder, water displacement, effect on non-metal compounds, lubrication and rust prevention.

Frog Lube performed very well. I haven't gotten any yet, but I will definitely give it a try.

jb85
08-18-2014, 07:33 PM
I'm going to have to try some of this on my rifle. Not super stoked about trying to clean all the old clp/fp10 off though.

Fishman
08-18-2014, 09:54 PM
I tried the Hornady "One Shot" stuff after reading the comparisons....I am VERY happy with this product. I have used almost everything under the sun, and this stuff is TOPS in my book. The CLP was disappointing, very gooey, didn't like the way it felt on the firearm. Hornady also smells good, (even though I love the smell of the toxic stuff!) I recommend everyone reading this thread try the products mentioned... My action is also very smooth with this product. I always Kroil the inside of the barrels of all my guns. Just my 2 cents.

railpig314
12-24-2014, 05:08 PM
I agree. Slip 2000 is the best. Tried Froglube. It's ok, but I would rather stick to a synthetic oil. Slip 2000 makes cleaning much easier......

Armed Fitter
12-24-2014, 09:01 PM
I tried the Hornady "One Shot" stuff after reading the comparisons....I am VERY happy with this product. I have used almost everything under the sun, and this stuff is TOPS in my book. The CLP was disappointing, very gooey, didn't like the way it felt on the firearm. Hornady also smells good, (even though I love the smell of the toxic stuff!) I recommend everyone reading this thread try the products mentioned... My action is also very smooth with this product. I always Kroil the inside of the barrels of all my guns. Just my 2 cents.

Hell, I thought I was the only old school feller that used kroil, your a goodn fishman, and I ain't even met ya

BugsSon402
12-25-2014, 05:16 PM
slip2000 is awesome. I tried Frog Lube before but it was such a pain to apply.

ductileiron98
12-26-2014, 12:08 PM
An oven needed? Um, no thanks. Cold weather and frog lube? um, no thanks.. Old fashion oil, thank you..

Scarman
01-04-2015, 12:57 PM
+1 Kano Kroil oil.. Will remove rust, creeps into .0006 of an inch spaces, will climb up a rod or barrel is stuck into it.. I use it with a combination of others like Slip 2000, Mobil oil, Barricade, rig for long term storage of blued guns, have not tried Frog Snot yet..

Fishman
06-09-2015, 10:54 PM
if people only knew how good Kroil was for the barrel....the best break-in stuff there is. Armed Fitter, you shoot at LCSA?

Ol` Joe
06-15-2015, 10:01 AM
I trust nothing that says it needs to be heated 1st to "set or activate it" or that is "absorbed in the pores" of the metal as anything more then snake oil.

WeaponShield is my favorite Lube to date. It has a bit of a cinnamon odor and its viscosity is thick enough it stays well on slide rails and bolt carriers over extended periods and does not appear to evaporate over time like some lubes I have tried. In the past, I used quarts of Mil-surp CLP and FP-10, and I would still use them today without hesitation also.

As long as the oil stays in place and doesn't run off or evaporate, almost any oil will do a decent job of rust protection. Enough for a gun kept in the house, out of ocean spray, acidic enviorments, rain or snow and extreme temp variations anyway. For rust protection I have stayed with RIG for the last 40 yrs ,and even though I have stored my firearms exclusively when possible in the damp to dry basement environments of 6 homes there is not a speck of rust to found on any of them.

Because of this the "very best" in rust protection is a moot requirement for my lubes. I believe in using the proper product for the job, lube to lube, solvents to clean, and rust preventatives to keep corrosion at bay. it is kind of like not using only Mobil 1 ( a fantastic oil for its intended purpose of engine protection) in my tranny, gear box, or pumping it in the zerk fittings of my trailer bearings.
So far all my firearms function extremely reliably, have no rust, and show no wear to moving parts past a bit of normal "smoothing out during break in".

For the guys that like Kroil, it has the ability to seep into your wooden stocks and cause damage over time. It is probably the best penetrating oil on the market and travels into and under any place it can reach loosening things. I have read reports however of it traveling into the wrist area of stocks, or down action screws into the bedding area, and softening the wood over time. It makes a good bore cleaner when mixed with Shooters Choice, but I would use alcohol or other solvent to final patch and positively remove any extra after use, unless I was going to shoot the gun fairly soon again. You may not see damage right away but 10-15 years from now after repeated use don't be surprised by darkening wood or bedding changes. As always, JMHO...