PDA

View Full Version : FireClean vs. Gunzilla

xp-800
02-09-2013, 11:57 AM
I started with Gunzilla after a fair amount of reading a few months ago. As a cleaner it seemed great like the reviews said. Unfortunately it ate my WalMart blue nitrile rubber gloves that I wear while gun cleaning - much like other solvents do. This made me wonder about its use without gloves, but I picked up some thicker black Raven nitrile gloves from O'Reilly auto parts, which have lasted 3+ multi-gun cleaning sessions on my first pair although almost entirely with FireClean.

I was also less enthusiastic about my perception of Gunzilla as a 'lube' since it is very thin. I didn't like how it would spread and ooze everywhere even after a couple days of storage despite applying lightly in the action and other areas. It would seep out every crack and crevice rather than staying put where I wanted it. However, this may be a good thing for long-term storage, but I don't go more than a month of storage without shooting and the look of an over-oiled wet gun is not appealing. To its credit, a microfiber towel would take care of removing it from the exteriors; no staining of my exterior finishes so far.

I then read about FireClean and picked up a couple bottles. I personally like it a lot better. It's thicker and most importantly for me it 'stays put'. There is not nearly the seepage out onto the exterior of the guns from the slides/chamber. I like this aspect a lot better.

My subjective feel is that the actions of my guns are smoother as well. It's certainly thicker; more like motor oil. And it has even less odor than Gunzilla and does not dissolve my gloves during cleaning.

I have not used it long enough to see if it actually makes fouling easier to just wipe off in the long term, but so far my guns do 'look' cleaner after a session.

Yes, this is a completely unscientific review, but between the two, I'm sticking with Fireclean more for my preferences. I'm also pretty sure that any modern CLP used frequently and properly will keep 99% of recreationally used firearms working well, but this is where certain aspects of a given CLP go to preference rather than science. As always YMMV.

Ruger
02-09-2013, 01:11 PM
I use Gunzilla and nitrile gloves and have never experienced the product damaging the gloves.

xp-800
02-09-2013, 02:02 PM
I use Gunzilla and nitrile gloves and have never experienced the product damaging the gloves.

The ones that get eaten are the blue ones from WalMart. I have since switched to the much nicer/thicker Raven brand from O'Reilly Auto Parts. I'm still on my first pair after 3 cleaning sessions with FireClean, and have only used Gunzilla a a small amount with these. The blue ones I'd go through at least 2 pair per session with Gunzilla.

I just went and looked at the package of the Raven, and they too are nitrile. I guess maybe the Wally World ones are lower quality? I started using gloves in the first place with Gunzilla since my skin woluld start to get irritated after maybe 15 minutes typically when cleaning multiple guns. I only used FireClean once without gloves, but I can't recall that it bothered me.

Thanks for chiming in with your experience.

ColonelKurtz
02-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Gunzilla dissolves my nitrile gloves, too. Which is no surprise as Gunzilla is formulated to dissolve plastic, ie- plastic residue from shotgun shells and wads, though it's supposedly safe for the polymer used for pistol frames.

I now use rubber (?) gloves specifically for use with solvents and haven't had any problems with the gloves dissolving, but they don't provide the dexterity of nitrile gloves.

Gunzilla is supposedly non-toxic, but anything that dissolves nitrile can't be good on the skin for prolonged periods. Even the bottle says to use Gunzilla in a well ventilated area.

Ruger
02-09-2013, 07:20 PM
I use the Costco brand gloves. :scratch:

xp-800
02-13-2013, 12:52 PM
I've now treated all my guns once over the course of a couple weeks with FireClean now. I've let them 'sit' with a fairly heavy coat on the internals.

Last night I went back through them all and re-applied at a normal maintenance amount.

To put it simply, I was incredibly impressed and pleased with the results. Every one of my guns was smoother functioning in-hand; even more so than when I posted initally. My Ruger 22/45 has always been pretty rough and uneven in cycling and harder to rack. The action is now dramatically improved. My son picked it up, and all I told him was that I cleaned it with a different oil. He racked the slide once and said 'Are you kidding me!?'. I just smiled. My others were less dramatic, but noticeably improved; even quieter.

Now, this probably won't translate into anything meaningful at the range over other quality CLPs, but I enjoy the tangible improvement in feel for whatever that's worth.

And no, I am not in any way associated with the product. :smile: Just a very satisfied user reporting my experience. As always, YMMV.

jackstan
02-19-2013, 12:10 PM
I get the impression you fellas are using these products on handguns . I haven't even heard of Fireclean untill today but I did buy a bottle of Gunzilla one year when I was at Camp Perry . Talking with the sales person he billed it as being good for corrosive primed ammo as well . I bought it for that purpose and was much less than pleased with it's results .

So is the Fireclean supposed to be organically based or something else that makes it similar to Gunzilla ?

Thanks , Jack

xp-800
02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
I get the impression you fellas are using these products on handguns . I haven't even heard of Fireclean untill today but I did buy a bottle of Gunzilla one year when I was at Camp Perry . Talking with the sales person he billed it as being good for corrosive primed ammo as well . I bought it for that purpose and was much less than pleased with it's results .

So is the Fireclean supposed to be organically based or something else that makes it similar to Gunzilla ?

Thanks , Jack

It says "biodegradable and non toxic". I don't know if that's organic or not. It does also say oil. But it does not irritate my skin and there is literally no odor.

I use it my AR as well. Equally pleased there too. With a couple treatments, the charging handle/bolt cycling by hand is smoother and quieter.

I do still use Hoppes #9 with a brass bore brush for the all my guns when deep cleaning. Then back through with a couple dry patches, then a Fireclean patch. Everywhere else it's just FC.

jackstan
02-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks xp-800 .

Jack

langenc
02-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Im on my second jr of gunzilla. This one is tha aerosol 'pumper' w/ the lomg pastic straw.

I never use gloves and hardly get anu on my hands. My wife likes as it is petroleum vapor free. One bad part is that it is difficult to find. My last trip to the Smokies I stopped in Cincinnatti and got a bottle. I asked at a Saginaw gunshop and they said "oh use (the brand on the shelf), the govt spent millions researching it. They dont stock Gunzilla nor does Jays.

ductileiron98
02-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Maybe the Wally World gloves are of lower quality ? Hahahahaha ya think !? And just imagine the food folks purchase there to feed their famlies.. Yikes !

Imshootin
02-22-2013, 07:01 AM
Maybe the Wally World gloves are of lower quality ? Hahahahaha ya think !? And just imagine the food folks purchase there to feed their famlies.. Yikes !

I wonder if their gloves have the warning, "May contain lead. Wash hands after handling" like the air hoses and garden hoses I've bought there in the past. :shocked:

MSUICEMAN
02-22-2013, 07:44 AM
I like gunzilla, but before putting into the safe for any period of time i always due a quick patch of oil and a dry patch because i'm still unsure of it as a preserver.