PDA

View Full Version : More Fee Increases...ORV now!!!

Barrettone
02-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Just received this (read below...bolded in particular). Man, I thought by getting rid of my snowmobiles, that I would save money, as my ORV stickers were only $16.25 per year compared to my SoS registration for my snowmobiles (which was $50 every two years) and the annual sticker fees for them. Now ORV rates are essentially going to be 2 1/2 times more for all-access!!! I can't win!!! OUCH!!!

Subject: Budget Information for Stakeholders

Dear friend,

During recent stakeholder meetings, we have frequently discussed the need to build capacity to meet the crucial goals of managing and protecting Michigan’s natural and cultural resources into the future. I have greatly appreciated the valuable input and contributions our many stakeholders have made to this discussion. Your input has strongly framed Governor Snyder’s Fiscal Year 2014 budget recommendation, which was released yesterday.

The governor’s budget reflects a strong recognition that natural resources will play a key role in the revitalization of our state. In short, the governor’s proposed budget will help ensure Michigan’s future. Items related to natural resources include:

n Dredging: $21 million for dredging harbors -- $11.5 million from General Fund spending and $9.5 million in redirected funds from existing projects from the Waterways Fund. Michigan faces historically low water levels. The safety of Great Lakes boaters as well as the economies of local communities urgently demands widespread dredging work. Federal money for dredging of these harbors is uncertain and difficult to obtain. The state must seek its own solution. This funding helps address the problem for this year. In addition, the governor has proposed a longer-term solution through his expanded transportation funding proposal. The DNR currently receives 2 percent of the 19-cent-per-gallon gas tax. Under the new proposed gas tax formula, it is anticipated that the DNR would continue to receive a 2 percent share, which would increase available revenue for the Waterways Fund by $9.4 million annually. Part of that funding would be used for dredging in Great Lakes harbors.

n Conservation officers: $3.5 million for new conservation officers, training and equipment. CO numbers are very low. In fact, three counties in Michigan have no CO assigned to them. This budget proposal would correct that problem by supporting 25 new COs, bringing total numbers from 173 to 198. As fully commissioned state peace officers, these COs would also augment the law enforcement network in some rural communities.

n A proposed change to hunting and fishing license types and fees: The proposal would reduce the current 227 distinct license types to 31 types, and change the fee structure. The proposed changes would add $18.1 million to the state’s Fish and Game fund during its first full year of implementation. The underlying principle is to create a structure that is simple, fair and efficient. Our proposed license costs are competitive with other states. The additional funds raised by this fee restructuring would be put directly toward resource management, education and outreach – boots on the ground, waders in the water, feet in the forests. Specifically, the funds would be used for:

ü Increasing educational and public safety contacts by conservation officers

ü Increasing technical assistance for fisheries habitat improvement on coldwater streams.

ü Increasing creel surveys and assessments on inland lakes and streams

ü Increasing outreach to anglers who fish for perch, bluegill and bass to improve angler retention

ü Increasing the rearing and stocking of fish by addressing infrastructure needs at DNR hatcheries

ü Providing grants to stakeholders to increase fisheries habitat on inland lakes and streams

ü Increasing the acres of public game areas receiving habitat management or maintenance; providing grants to stakeholders for this purpose; increasing the acres of state forest land where wildlife habitat management or maintenance is performed

ü Increasing the Pheasant Restoration Initiative focus on public lands throughout southern Michigan

ü Increasing the Waterfowl Legacy Initiative focus on managed areas statewide

ü Expanding hunter access opportunity in southern Michigan

ü Increasing deer food plots and cooperative plantings to increase opportunities for hunters on public lands in the northern portions of the state, but especially in the northeast Lower Peninsula
ü Working with MEDC to enhance marketing of recreational opportunities and design of mobile applications; enhancing the retail sales system to improve the license buying experience; expanding natural resources education; expanding recruitment and retention programs for hunters and anglers

ü Opening priority service centers to the public and increasing the hours existing service centers are open to the public

ü Paying property taxes to local governments for access to public lands

n ORV Fees: Currently ORV users are required to purchase an ORV license for $16.25. The cost has remained the same since 1996 even though ORV trails have expanded by 17 percent from 3,100 miles to 3,627 miles. With the increase in trails and the impact of inflation, current funding is insufficient for maintenance of the entire network and to complete some 400 miles of critical motorized trail connections. The budget proposal involves a two-tiered funding model in which ORV owners would pay $26.25 for a base license and an additional $10 to ride on state trails. Passage of this proposal would raise an additional $2.7 million and allow the DNR in partnership with stakeholder groups to address those priority areas of need for trail connectors that will be identified in the land strategy plan.

n The Summer Youth Employment Initiative: $3 million for the continuation of the program, which last year allocated $1.5 million to 13 non-governmental agencies that help at-risk youth in Detroit, Flint, Saginaw and Pontiac. Over 750 young people ages 16-19 participated. We expect those numbers to increase this summer.

n Disaster and Emergency Contingency Fund: $4 million in the State Police budget. The DNR intends to use the fund to cover costs to respond to disaster relief efforts, such as last year’s busy fire season, which included the Duck Lake Fire. The fund would roll over and build each year.

n Replacing the Great Lakes research vessel Chinook: $2 million one-time General Fund expenditure to replace the 65-year old Great Lakes research vessel, Chinook, which is well beyond its useful life. With the rapid rate of ecosystem change occurring in the Great Lakes – especially the growing threat of aquatic invasive species -- replacement of this vessel is vital to the management of the lakes. The critical inventories and surveys it will conduct provide the department and its partners, such as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, with essential information In addition, $150,000 in General Fund dollars would be added to work on prevention and assessment.

This thoughtfully designed budget proposal protects natural and cultural resources, ensures sustainable recreation use and enjoyment and enables strong natural resource-based economies. The governor’s budget recommendation now goes to the Legislature for consideration and review. Stakeholders will have the opportunity to testify and otherwise affect the outcome. We are at a historic moment in the management of natural resources in Michigan. I hope that you will be among the many active advocates supporting Governor Snyder’s budget proposal for natural resources.

I will keep you posted as the budget moves forward. In the meantime, if you have any questions regarding the budget, please feel free to contact me or another member of our DNR management team.

Thanks for all you do.

Keith

Quack Addict
02-13-2013, 06:33 PM
This thoughtfully designed budget proposal protects natural and cultural resources, ensures sustainable recreation use and enjoyment and enables strong natural resource-based economies.

At least they are being thoughtful about it

By my read, there is A LOT of useless expenditures in there that I don't need to be 'taxed' over :thdown:

While they are being thoughtful about these things, perhaps they can explain to me why I have not choice but to put OTR-taxed fuel into my boat when I fuel up at a marina gas dock.

pgaplayerless
02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
IMO nobody should be surprised that flat-fixed rates for permits etc are going up.

Since 1996, US dollar devalued 47%.....that alone puts you at $23.9 in today's money not counting another 17 years of inflation.

Cackler
02-13-2013, 07:11 PM
At least they are being thoughtful about it

All they are thinking about is taking money out of our pockets.

Why should I have to pay for a damned ORV sticker when I have no intention of ever riding on one of the states "groomed" trails?

miked
02-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Snowmobile fees kept going up with no noticeable improvement in trails. In fact they have taken down a lot of the snowmobile trail signs.

Now ORV stickers, which you have to have to ride an ATV anywhere.

I gave up the sleds because it got to expensive now they want to gouge the ORV's

I honestly don't mind paying if I see something in return, but I've yet to see anything.

It ridiculous

wrinkledshirt
02-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Working with MEDC to enhance marketing of recreational opportunities and design of mobile applications; enhancing the retail sales system to improve the license buying experience; expanding natural resources education; expanding recruitment and retention programs for hunters and anglers

I really need to get spun up on Android (and start wining/dining the DNR leadership). Imagine the tax dollars I could get my hands on!

langenc
02-13-2013, 11:33 PM
The gov also has a proposal to open up ALL roads and many trails to ORVs.
This could be bad as there will be no enforcement by the COs or sheriffs??

Cackler
02-14-2013, 08:27 AM
The gov also has a proposal to open up ALL roads and many trails to ORVs.
This could be bad as there will be no enforcement by the COs or sheriffs??

Why shouldn't we be permitted to ride them on the roads? Other states license them and don't seem to have a problem?

It would be simple. License them and then require a seperate trail fee if being run on special trails just like regular motor vehicles that are street legal. And while we are at it, make the ******* helmet laws consistent too. Who really wants to wear a helmet when hauling out a danged deer? What is the benefit?

keen one
03-05-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm always impresed with the first bit of wisdom "rates have not been increased since ______" who gives a rats but when the last increase was. The rate needs to be commensruate with the service provided.

03-05-2013, 05:50 PM
WTH do I care about using hunting license fees for "at risk youth" in the big cities.

Not my problem. Fund it from elsewheres.

langenc
03-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Why shouldn't we be permitted to ride them on the roads? Other states license them and don't seem to have a problem?

It would be simple. License them and then require a seperate trail fee if being run on special trails just like regular motor vehicles that are street legal. And while we are at it, make the ******* helmet laws consistent too. Who really wants to wear a helmet when hauling out a danged deer? What is the benefit?

Riding em on the roads is probably a better deal than the ones being pushed now-to ride em any where/every where..

Right now we let em on the roads so riders can get to town for gas, food, lodging. In my sub there are NO GAS STATIONS-NO MOTELS and NO GROCERIES/PARTY STORES!!! Why are there ORVs?? from who knows where.

The kid down the street told me "my dad said I could" -- Dad is a dealer and sells em. I guess he tells all customers bad info.