PDA

View Full Version : MRE Beef Brisket

Marcus
02-13-2013, 05:21 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b204/jake19drunkpunk/For%20sale%20items/IMG_1370.jpg

I know most of you are Military (Thank you for your service) and would laugh at a Civilian like me getting a novelty out of the idea of an MRE. I have heard of them, but never had one before. What fantastically thought out product and packaging. I wish I had these in Boy scouts.

I have been working on food storage now for about 6 months or so. I have tried a couple of different platforms like retail canned food, eFoods Direct, Wise, Dry Goods. My latest platform for "easy" convenience for road trips and "I need a lunch on the fly" days are MREs.

I like hot food. PB&J and leftovers get old. MREs are expensive and I wanted to see if they had value being incorporated into a food reserve plan.

Well, I ordered a case online and grabbed a "Beef Brisket" on the fly out the door this morning. I was surprised, an MRE is extremely inclusive with crackers, cheese spread, cookies, coffee, gum, and entree. I set up the cooker and warmed the biscuit with the entree, stuck the cheese in there to soften it. Everything was decent and fine.

When I opened up the warmed up biscuit and dumped the beef/gravy I was very impressed. I was expecting a school-lunch beef-ish patty with a salty watery gravy.....and got a nicely sliced roast beef style meat and thick gravy that looked like my wife could have made. There was a distinct smokey aroma, an actual flavor profile and welcomed lack of saltiness I was expecting with a prepped food. WAAAAY better then some of the slop I ate in school. WAAAY better then some of the stuff I ate on the trail.

My office always gets a kick out of the ammo, weapons and laughed at the "Army Food Rations". There was only inquiring glances & interested questions about my lunch today.

I will be keeping a few in a EDC bag instead of Ramen noodles from now on.

pgaplayerless
02-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Be careful MRE's purposefully pack lot of calories and fat, they are not made for civi lifestyles....

Roundballer
02-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Yep... They are somewhere around 3000 calories EACH! One MRE is enough to sustain an ACTIVE person for a whole day.

Jackam
02-13-2013, 06:52 PM
My sons and I treat ourselves to an MRE on opening day or rifle season. We don't come in for lunch and don't need to.
These things are good food, handy, and I'll be honest with you - I haven't found even one dish that I didn't like. They all taste pretty good!

Nice Review!

7.62 Nato
02-13-2013, 06:58 PM
LOL, I read this as Mystery (Mr. E) Beef Brisket!

StoneyBones
02-13-2013, 07:00 PM

pgaplayerless
02-13-2013, 07:11 PM
I just picked a case as well...and also had the beef brisket. gave me some bad gas...wifey wasnt happy!

they are not 3000 calories....1300 on average i think. It says on some cardboard inside it. a male would require three of these a day when active.

it's about 1300 per meal....about 40% of those cals come from fat......

A normal civilian would only need 2 of these tops....and would blow their fat intake several times over :lol:

Marcus
02-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Yup 1300 cal

I usually munch throughout the day. Breakfast....snack....lunch.......I skipped my between lunch/dinner today though. I was full.

I alternate between my office and field work. I like throwing on a toolbelt and working with my crews from time to time. I burn a ton of cals/day.

If I sit in the office too much I DO put on lbs because I eat a lot. Otherwise, I'm 5'11 200lbs of hungry workin guy

tarkataku
02-13-2013, 08:42 PM
That little pack of gum is a mild laxative.... MREs will stop ya up somethin terrible if you are not use to them...... I have had plenty working hurricane relief and its best to find some fruit to keep things movin if ya can...... I hate gum.... Haha

Coctailer
02-13-2013, 09:02 PM
If you eat them for months (3 meals a day) you won't like them anymore.:laugh:

If you have never had one, they are surprisingly good.

sparkman10mm
02-13-2013, 09:09 PM
That little pack of gum is a mild laxative.... MREs will stop ya up somethin terrible if you are not use to them...... I have had plenty working hurricane relief and its best to find some fruit to keep things movin if ya can...... I hate gum.... Haha

Yep...think tar balls...

Donzie
02-14-2013, 05:02 AM
That hasn't been the case in over 20 years. And then, it was all the condiments that had laxatives in them. That's why you need to eat everything even the coffee creamer.
Current MREs don't provide much waste in healthy folks and it may be a while before you will need to go when jumping on a diet of MREs.
These MREs do have the caffeinated gum.
The only down side to MREs that I find is their weight. Packing for a week long hike is not practical. The Mountain House dry meals are much more efficient for a BOB or pack.

Raider0311
02-17-2013, 10:58 PM
My sons and I treat ourselves to an MRE on opening day or rifle season. We don't come in for lunch and don't need to.
These things are good food, handy, and I'll be honest with you - I haven't found even one dish that I didn't like. They all taste pretty good!

Nice Review!

You must have not come across a cheese and veggie omelette yet! :toss:

10x25mm
02-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Are MRE still made exclusively in the USA? The Europeans and Asians are finding out that all their 'beef' is actually horsemeat. Probably not bad for you, but simply does not have the same appeal as real beef, the only item whose price is rising faster than gasoline!

Donzie
02-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Are MRE still made exclusively in the USA? The Europeans and Asians are finding out that all their 'beef' is actually horsemeat. Probably not bad for you, but simply does not have the same appeal as real beef, the only item whose price is rising faster than gasoline!
Usgi and MREStar meals are made in the US, I don't know about the rest.

scottzcamaro
02-19-2013, 12:28 AM
Where do you buy MREs ? Anywhere local or only online?

Marcus
02-19-2013, 05:29 AM

Online. I am not sure about a local source, but they are easy to find for about $100/case

Signess
02-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Off topic:

Who do you work for? I'm in the same business...

StoneyBones
02-19-2013, 09:00 AM

Signess
02-19-2013, 09:00 AM

Like Marcus said... online! But be aware, these things ARE NOT cheap! There is a thread on here that reviews various dishes, and brand makers.

zigziggityzoo
02-19-2013, 09:34 AM

Horse meat is surprisingly tasty. Lean, too.

Signess
02-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Horse meat is surprisingly tasty. Lean, too.

I know it's the trendy thing as of late.... But unless I was up against it, I don't know if I could eat it.

Don't take it out of context here folks.... the key phrase is "up against it". And with that.... I'd probably eat one of you if I was up against it.

lwout65
02-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Best prices i could find sold right here in Gaylord.

http://survivalsuppliesllc.com/local/michigan_gaylord_mre.html

zigziggityzoo
02-19-2013, 10:01 AM
I know it's the trendy thing as of late.... But unless I was up against it, I don't know if I could eat it.

Don't take it out of context here folks.... the key phrase is "up against it". And with that.... I'd probably eat one of you if I was up against it.

I know this is pretty off topic but -

In my opinion, meat is meat. I'm not saying I'd eat fluffy on a day-to-day basis, but if it's nutritious and doesn't taste terrible, I'd pretty much eat any animal without any remorse.

Cat (so I'm told) tastes like rabbit, which tastes like dark meat chicken. So knowing this, I would eat a cat no problem in a SHTF scenario.

Signess
02-19-2013, 03:03 PM
I know this is pretty off topic but -

In my opinion, meat is meat. I'm not saying I'd eat fluffy on a day-to-day basis, but if it's nutritious and doesn't taste terrible, I'd pretty much eat any animal without any remorse.

Cat (so I'm told) tastes like rabbit, which tastes like dark meat chicken. So knowing this, I would eat a cat no problem in a SHTF scenario.

Off topic, yes.... But in reference to "fluffy".... extremely funny! :rofl:

teecro
02-19-2013, 03:07 PM

Smothered down in onions and garlic most any meat is quite tasty...

sparkman10mm
02-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Smothered down in onions and garlic most any meat is quite tasty...
Basically my life credo....:)

donald150
02-19-2013, 10:26 PM
There are some MRE's I wouldn't eat with your mouth. The frankfurters look like the little meat sticks you find in the plexiglass bin at a gas station. I will pass on th ham slice also, far too close to spam.
I stuck with the basics like chili-Mac, beef stew, chicken noodle, ravioli etc..

The new ones are far better than the 1980-90 version however I liked the crackers in the old ones better.

tiamat
02-19-2013, 11:14 PM
My Father-in-law used to be a salesman for a military surplus company. He thought it was good to test out the products from time to time and managed to get my wife to try several of the meals. According to her, the clam chowder was the worst.

StoneyBones
02-20-2013, 07:32 AM

kdogg
02-20-2013, 08:10 AM
I went on a camping trip once. We took MRE's with us for food. You know, it was one of those survival weekends, with black rifles, talk of over throwing public officials etc. DAMNIT! I'm probably on a watch list now!? :)

Seriously though, we went camping with the wife and kids, buddy of mind had given me a case of MRE's he had left from some training he went on with the Guard. Apparently, they don't eat them? Anyway I ate them all weekend on the camping trip and didn't poop right for over a week afterwards. :(

indie_rocker
08-06-2013, 09:55 PM

The Drill Sergeants got a good laugh by not telling us about the gum when we were in the field. We had one guy that was bumming pieces off people because he was craving a smoke like mad... he was lucky he brought extra drawers, certainly needed them. I personally don't miss them, unless we're talking about Menu 9, Beef Stew... Good Lord :woohoo1:

TheWabbit
08-07-2013, 12:12 AM
I was in during the switch from C-rats to MREs, I hear their better now but I have no desire to eat an MRE.