PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling on Gun Vault

elwarpo
02-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Considering a gun vault in the basement (6" poured concrete walls and a vault door, the question is what do people do for the ceiling?

pkuptruck
02-14-2013, 09:23 AM
cant say for sure... but I would imagine if someone DOES break in, AND knows where the vault room is, AND has time to sawcut your floor to get to the basement...

... then it is a pretty moot point...

autosurgeon
02-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Steel plate hot rolled AR 500 is expensive but can be had in 4x8 sheets.

Peaceful
02-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Smith Vault Doors can answer all of your questions and they are just across the border in Ohio.

Barrettone
02-14-2013, 01:40 PM
I've seen 3 different applications that all do a good job.

1) Spancrete (pre-formed load bearing slabs)
2) 3"x5" angle irons back-to-back with 4"x8"x16" solid block laid in them and mudded with firebrick mortar.
3) Corrugated steel (like what you use under a front porch slab, with a slab poured over the top.

Price out all 3 and pick the best option for you...hope this helps.

Fighterace26
02-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Considering a gun vault in the basement (6" poured concrete walls and a vault door, the question is what do people do for the ceiling?

I did mine with just rebar webbing lag bolted to the floor joists, then covered by drop ceiling

Like pkuptruck said if they come in and saw your floor out you have bigger issues than guns. Best to add firearms to insurance also.

Phelptwan
02-14-2013, 03:22 PM
I honestly considered doing one recently and looked at Spancrete, and a poured form using ICF?. I also looked at non-cement solutions but they quickly went up in dollars. Spancrete seemed to be the best priced.

Barrettone
02-14-2013, 10:45 PM
I did mine with just rebar webbing lag bolted to the floor joists, then covered by drop ceiling

Like pkuptruck said if they come in and saw your floor out you have bigger issues than guns. Best to add firearms to insurance also.

Thats a fine solution, but if you want it to provide protection against fire, you need something that will serve as a firebreak. It is not just about security. Fire sometimes plays a part, and that is why I reccommended concrete products. As a side note, if you are doing this in a basement, I highly reccommend that you elevate your safe or firearm racks 16"-24" (safes can be done with cinder blocks). Should the fire department need to put out a fire, your basement will more than likely be flooded. That couple of feet can make a difference as you can get water damaged firearms. Just a little food for thought...

elwarpo
02-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks all, I know the chance of someone coming through the ceiling is rare, but just my luck if I am on vacation and they have a bit of time. A vault door only invites someone to try to find out what valuables are inside and try to get in.

I like the idea of the angle iron and blocks as a fire break, never thought of a fire break. and mounting the safe higher for a flood/water intrusion only makes sense.

I think it is time to give Smith Vaults a call.

Thanks all this is great info.

Barrettone
02-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks all, I know the chance of someone coming through the ceiling is rare, but just my luck if I am on vacation and they have a bit of time. A vault door only invites someone to try to find out what valuables are inside and try to get in.

I like the idea of the angle iron and blocks as a fire break, never thought of a fire break. and mounting the safe higher for a flood/water intrusion only makes sense.

I think it is time to give Smith Vaults a call.

Thanks all this is great info.

Take a new person shooting, and we'll call it square.

elwarpo
02-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Take a new person shooting, and we'll call it square.

I have take dozens, I am a member of Wolverine Shooting Sports and even pay the $5 guest fee and provide ammo the first time.

Barrettone
02-16-2013, 03:17 PM
I have take dozens, I am a member of Wolverine Shooting Sports and even pay the $5 guest fee and provide ammo the first time.

Good to hear...keep it up!!!