PDA

View Full Version : Instructors CPL training curriculum ???

sullyxlh
11-22-2007, 11:14 PM
just wondering what some of you instructors use in your CPL class,specifically the NRA book,
the class I took used the NRA guide to PP in the home,which to me was a total waste,there was nothing in there that really focused on anything outside the house.
I wanted to know,shouldn't my instructor have used the NRA guide to PP outside the home?
This would seem to make more sense for someone wanting their CPL

Nobody needs a CPL to walk around their house so why would that book even be used??
I could understand the in the home book for someone very new to shooting or has a prerequsite for the CPL class for those that need it,but not for someone looking to carry in public.

fbuckner
11-23-2007, 09:10 AM
PPOTH is a new course alot of instructors dont have it yet. The in the home is accepted by the state of meeting the needs for the cpl process now. I personally wouldnt teach an outside the home course unless a student has taken the in the home some may I wont. It is much more intense and has the possibility for an accident. The in the home is a prereq for outside the home. I agree it would make mre sence but it is what it is for now.

sullyxlh
11-26-2007, 09:57 PM
PPOTH is a new course alot of instructors dont have it yet. The in the home is accepted by the state of meeting the needs for the cpl process now. I personally wouldnt teach an outside the home course unless a student has taken the in the home some may I wont. It is much more intense and has the possibility for an accident. The in the home is a prereq for outside the home. I agree it would make mre sence but it is what it is for now.
I was also looking at this from a legal standpoint,
that is,if a situation ever arose and the State wanted to try and prosecute someone with a CPL,meaning a license to carry out in public,issued by the state,who approved a course and study guide that has no info or training for carrying outside the home............

****,I'm trying to make this question understandable so bear with me....

what I'm getting at is how could the state try someone with a CPL,for an incident,that happened outside the home,when the state approved a course that has nothing to do with carrying out in public but still issued a CPL,based on that course cirriculum.

I am not talking about a crime but more along the lines that a CPL holder may have been in an incident and may have been well within their legal right,but may be dealing with an over zealous PA,
More so,say in a civil suit,the CPL holder took a course,approved by the state,to carry outside the home,but based on that course has no training to carry outside the home.

I don't understand how the state could bring charges against a CPL holder for something that happened outside the home when they issued a carry license to someone who took a state approved course that has nothing to do with outside carry???

Jim Simmons
11-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Sully, I think you may be mixing apples and oranges.

The CPL is a license to carry a pistol -- not a license to get involved in an "incident," as you call it.

The state has set the training standards, and PPIH complies with those standards. I haven't yet seen the PPOH curriculum so I have no idea whether it also complies with those standards.

Intuitively, one would think that a PPOH class might be better geared for those carry a concealed pistol outside the home. But it's very difficult to fault someone for complying with the state-mandated training requirements. And we do know that PPIH fills the bill.

antigunnut
11-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Jim the PPOTH would comply with the state training standards, but at this point, we have a pre-course requirement of PPITH, that is what the NRA has set because of the safety issue's. I can get you a copy of the course if you would like. I will even give you and sully the course in the spring for free so you can see how it works.

Sully, I think you may be mixing apples and oranges.

The CPL is a license to carry a pistol -- not a license to get involved in an "incident," as you call it.

The state has set the training standards, and PPIH complies with those standards. I haven't yet seen the PPOH curriculum so I have no idea whether it also complies with those standards.

Intuitively, one would think that a PPOH class might be better geared for those carry a concealed pistol outside the home. But it's very difficult to fault someone for complying with the state-mandated training requirements. And we do know that PPIH fills the bill.

fbuckner
11-30-2007, 09:26 AM
If i had a say in it I would keep the PPITH a pre req for PPOTH just due to the safety of it. I hope the NRA doesnt sway on that one.