PDA

View Full Version : New hunter, looking for someone to teach me the basics.

screagles
02-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Hello all,

I am new and very eager to get into hunting. I just recently got my hunters safety and bought a small game license.

I have been to Bald Mountain state rec area twice now and haven't seen any life there. So if anyone has land I can use or is willing to teach me some hunting skills I would be GREATLY appreciative of it.

Thanks!

Jackam
02-18-2013, 05:28 AM
This is kind of a rough time to get into hunting but there are a few animals that still get around a bit in winter.
Rabbits are one of the animals that you can usually find. As you walk through the wooded areas, mornings and evenings, kick every log pile and rustle every brush pile that you come across. These guys take shelter in those and will take of on a tear when someone disturbs them. Obviously you're going to do better with a shotgun in this situation. You'll kick many more piles than you'll see rabbits, but they're out there!

cmr19xx
02-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Rabbits and squirrels this time of the year. Yesterday would have been a good day. In the winter, I seem to have good luck on sunny days after we get fresh snow.

My biggest recommendation is to just spend more time in the woods both in and out of season. Look for signs of activity, tracks, etc. I do most of my scouting in the off season just taking my dog out in the woods for exercise. By the time hunting season comes around, I have a pretty good idea of where to find the rabbits and squirrels. I wish I had more time to spend up north looking for grouse.

Good advice for rabbits above. If you have a dog that can pound the brush piles for you, even better. For squirrels, I do a lot of walking and sitting. I'll find what I think is a good spot and sit for 15-20 mins. If there's no activity, I move on to another spot and just keep working it that way.

lwout65
02-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Im planning on getting back into bunny busting and squirrels late this year with my son.He is going to be taking his safety class soon as well and i can not wait lol.

Their are some decent videos on You Tube to give you ideas on what to look for as far as cover they like brush piles hedge rows wood piles and such.

Bunnies early morning and allot of walking, squirrels mid day and allot of sitting.

TomE
02-18-2013, 08:43 AM
You can spot the nests from about 500' this time of year, which are few. With the bad acorn crop last fall, the tree rats have moved out, I suspect to the Pine Forest to be like Euell Green

There's only about a dozen in the yard on any given day now.

There is a lot of State Land for hunting around Algonac State Park, but that gets heavy pressure.

A full tank of gas will get you into some squirrel woods to your North. There is literally thousands of acres of Manistee National Forest out my back door. The snowpack is shallow so the walking is easy, about 15% of the oaks still have their leaves so there is still some cover for the wiley little critters.

I don't hunt , dress or eat squirrel but I know how to

I like to tie a couple strings to some saplings on either side of me while sitting on stand. The squirrel will always go on the other side of the tree from you or where it hears noise. When they do this, yank on one of the strings and most likely it'll come running around to your side. You'll have about a half-second to get your shot off.

I can give you a guided hunt in Newaygo, but it'll be a 400 mile round trip, about $70 for a 2 night motel stay, then food and drink. I stay at my small home.That adds up fast, so figure $200 to $300 for a road trip for squirrel. Bunnies are about non-existient by me, down by the river there are some.

RPMO6
02-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Yesterday would have been a good day. In the winter, I seem to have good luck on sunny days after we get fresh snow.

:yeahthat:

Always worked for me. They'll come out in the sun...look up in the trees for the nests. Look at the bottom of the trees around the nests for fresh tracks. If you see them, set up for a while and quietly watch from a comfortable seat. Don't shoot them in their nests. I'll use a .22 for this.

Same with rabbits. Look for fresh tracks in the new snow by brush piles. Tracking can be difficult sometimes...I've seen the little buggers hop along just out of your line of sight and you'll never see them...just their tracks. It's nice to have a friend to rotate jumping on the brush and the other at the ready. I'll use a 20 gauge for this.

Good luck!

TomE
02-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Wednesday should be a good day for bunnies and squirrel, if the fresh snow stops falling by then.

screagles
02-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Awesome advice so far guys. thanks! I am newly motivated and heading back out this weekend

encore3030
02-22-2013, 12:39 PM
i am not in your area but don't forget crow season is open and fun .

LongBeardBuster
03-08-2013, 11:50 AM
i am not in your area but don't forget crow season is open and fun .
I agree A Blast and you can get rid of some of the cabin fever! Went out yesterday and I also heard some GOBBLING!, Made My DAY!