PDA

View Full Version : New member

Rhell10n
11-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Hello. I just registered after spending some time reading this forum and others today. I found some threads with good information but nothing in the way of a solid FAQ with everything I need to know about training and buying my first handgun. One thread said there was such information, but it wasn't stickied so I assume it was pruned, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

I live in Eastpointe currently, and I haven't even shot or handled a handgun before. I'd like to find information about training in handgun safety and basic use before worrying about a CCW and then purchasing one. I'll probably be looking after Christmas or New Years. I was planning on stopping in to one of the local stores I've seen but I figured also posting for information wouldn't hurt. Thanks.

fotophocus
11-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Welcome!

I was in a similar situation when I started with handguns this past summer. I took a combined basic pistol safety / concealed pistol license class. That's what I recommend to anyone that asks. You don't *have* to carry, but this way if you have your CCW, you can carry if you decide to need to. Much easier than deciding you want to start carrying, then having to go through the whole process.

fbuckner
11-28-2007, 04:30 PM
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16931

This give a basic outline of what and who to look for. I also suggest you look for a reputable Instructor who is Insured and registered with the State as a business. This way you know that they have done their work and are on the up and up with everyone from the NRA to the IRS. Then check out the NRA's site it will have a listing of instructors in your neck of the woods. Gas is a precious thing these days as well is money for the class. Goos luck and be safe.