PDA

View Full Version : 1911 safety

aspica75
02-23-2013, 11:35 PM
I Have been carrying a colt M1991 A1 45 auto for the last couple of mouths. And I carry it in a Galco inside the waist band holster, at about 500 oclock on my body.. This has been working well, however, a few times I have removed my holster at the end of the day and the thumb safety has been off, in fire position. It must be getting pushed down while driving is all I can think Of. Has this happened to anyone else or is it me. I am comfortable carrying it cocked and locked however, cocked and unlocked making me wonder. I love this gun and shoot well with it, but I must figure out how the safety is getting disengaged .

pipepro
02-23-2013, 11:41 PM
I would take a good look at the plunger tube. The safety should have a very positive on/off feel to it. I had a plunger tube come loose where it is staked into the frame, it allowed the tube to pull away from the frame enough so the safety could slip past the plunger.

Raider0311
02-24-2013, 02:24 AM
I don't know what model Galco you have, but I just bought a Galco IWB with a thumb break for my 3" 1911. The #s on the holster read K129L & WB218. I found out quickly that although the leather coming over the back of the slide was cut at an angle as to not interfere with the safety, the leather that comes up to meet it on the body side is wider and sets right on top of the safety. While I was initially fitting the gun to the holster I was twisting it a bit and found that it could pop the safety off with just a little tweaking. Not good! I've got to trim mine up to solve my problem.

XDM 40 cal
02-24-2013, 08:24 AM
I carry 1911 springer and have no issue with a sear saftey dropping while in its holster..

Three things to look at for the holster, is there anything on your body that could push down on the safety? Also you might want to switch to a King tuck that can cover the safety. last thing is change the plunger spring...making the safety have a better lock or crips lock,unlock.

pkuptruck
02-24-2013, 09:22 AM
is it an ambi safety? if so, reconsider a single side safety...

aspica75
02-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the great replies, This gives me some things to look for.
Thanks

shifty_85
02-26-2013, 03:23 PM
i carry my rock island armory all the time in my don hume IWB with no issue's

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w196/shifty_85/Mobile%20Uploads/0526121757.jpg

jackg
02-26-2013, 03:28 PM
The easiest, cheapest & sure fire way to solve the problem is to uncock it.

wsr
02-26-2013, 04:52 PM

you forgot least safe and effective

jackg
02-27-2013, 03:07 PM
you forgot least safe and effective

Your opinion. Not forgot, proposed solution.

wsr
02-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Your opinion. Not forgot, proposed solution.

It's the right opinion though thats the important thing :razz:

jackg
02-27-2013, 03:53 PM
It's the right opinion though thats the important thing :razz:
Again, your opinion.

wsr
02-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Again, your opinion.

all correct answers are somebodies opinion... just so happens that my opinion and the correct answer are the same

but seriously if your a fan of hammer down carry Huron Vally Guns has a pair of sequential ser# Detonics Combat Masters for sale

MI-1911
02-27-2013, 04:24 PM
There are numerous leather thumb-break retention holsters for the 1911. The thumb strap passes over the cocked hammer, between the hammer and the frame, for additional protection from unintended discharge.

I favor the Galco FLETCH OWB for safe carry of my 1911's.

romesr
02-27-2013, 08:34 PM
I have the same thing happened to me but and a big man who carries owb

king2517
03-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Are you talking about carrying half cocked or uncocked

10x25mm
03-01-2013, 08:23 PM
I carry a 10mm Commander-type 1911 Models in a DeSantis 'Speed Scabbard' OWB holster in 'cocked and locked' condition without any safety disengagement occurring. My Commanders have extended ambidexterous safety levers and I notched the holster at the point where the outboard safety is in the 'on' position. As long as the pistol stays fully seated in the holster, the safety cannot drop. My job is pretty physical, so my 20 years of good experience with this system suggests it should work for you.

One further point: I have trouble with full sized Model 1911s pushing up out of holsters when I sit down - in a car, in an office chair, in construction equipment. This is why I adopted the 4.25 inch Commander-type Model 1911 over the full sized Model 1911. It probably is due to where I wear my belt, but many other men I know have the same problem. And frankly, my middle aged figure is ill suited to IWB carry!

jackg
03-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Are you talking about carrying half cocked or uncocked

Uncocked

deadhead1911
03-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Uncocked

Uncocked seems safer to you? You do relize then the hammer is sitting on the firing pin? In front of a live round!! Then depending if your 1911 has a firing pin saftey or not, your depending only on it to prevent ND. Even if your tumb saftey is off you still have the grip saftey plus the firing pin saftey to protect against ND. If your saftey is deactivating to easily deepen the detent in the front of the saftey where the plunger holds the saftey in the on positon. Do a little reserch online, I amsure you will find ample info on how to do this. But a simple look at how it works should be enough. 1911 forum is a great place to start too.

TangoDown3727
03-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Sell your 1911 and buy a Glock to carry and you will never again have this problem no matter which holster you choose. I guarantee!:poke:
;-)

XDM 40 cal
03-03-2013, 06:29 PM
FGqFh-846pw

wsr
03-03-2013, 07:19 PM
FGqFh-846pw

Trying to watch that was annoying, I couldn't make more than about 6 minutes he has a few semi valid points but a lot of wrong.... 1911's have had thumb safeties from the first one.

How the army wanted its troops to carry it and the safest or most effective way are two completely different things.

Hammer down on a live chamber can discharge from a drop but unlikely, the real danger is uncocking and cocking you are bypassing most or all of the safeties built into the gun.
empty chamber well thats useless but safe [including for the bad guys]

XDM 40 cal
03-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Trying to watch that was annoying, I couldn't make more than about 6 minutes he has a few semi valid points but a lot of wrong.... 1911's have had thumb safeties from the first one.

How the army wanted its troops to carry it and the safest or most effective way are two completely different things.

Hammer down on a live chamber can discharge from a drop but unlikely, the real danger is uncocking and cocking you are bypassing most or all of the safeties built into the gun.
empty chamber well thats useless but safe [including for the bad guys]

Agreed , that this guy is not well informend...i made it about 7, but posted for a propus...

ISZ1vet-nMs

deadhead1911
03-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Sell your 1911 and buy a Glock to carry and you will never again have this problem no matter which holster you choose. I guarantee!:poke:
;-)

But then you will just have a glock. I'd rather do some tuning and shop for a holster.

Strangler
03-03-2013, 11:10 PM
There are numerous leather thumb-break retention holsters for the 1911. The thumb strap passes over the cocked hammer, between the hammer and the frame, for additional protection from unintended discharge.

I favor the Galco FLETCH OWB for safe carry of my 1911's.
Strictly opinion here, but relying on a thumb break only delays an accident- safety gets clicked, hammer falls against leather....... OP need to pull gun in a hurry and you are relying on the half or full cock to catch the hammer before dropping it and perferating his nikes.

I stitched some leather welt into each of my 1911 holsters to positively engage the thumb safety following a Mexican carry incident that left me wondering "what if".

MI-1911
03-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Strictly opinion here, but relying on a thumb break only delays an accident- safety gets clicked, hammer falls against leather....... OP need to pull gun in a hurry and you are relying on the half or full cock to catch the hammer before dropping it and perferating his nikes.

I stitched some leather welt into each of my 1911 holsters to positively engage the thumb safety following a Mexican carry incident that left me wondering "what if".

If the safety is off, the hammer does not fall. You still have to grip the frame, to activate the grip safety, and pull the trigger.

deadhead1911
03-03-2013, 11:59 PM

A series 80 1911 has 3 mechanical safeties. Thumb, grip, and firing pin. All need to happen at the same time or no boom. Plus the added safety of controlling your booger hook. While thumb safety being disengaged is not ideal it on its own is not gonna cause discharge. A holster with a sweat guard can also be a big help to control safety disengagement.

costanza
03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
But then you will just have a glock. I'd rather do some tuning and shop for a holster.

Love the response!
regards,
costanza

RYANINDAVISON
07-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I was at first reluctant to carry cocked and locked. However after runnig a test with an empty gun around the house and in teh woods cocked and locked empty. The hammer never fell and the thumb saftey never disengaged. This included doing house work. Running a chain saw, riding a fourwheeler and falling out of a tree setting up a treestand. The thumb saftey on my RIA is very crisp and there is no play. Now it's loaded and cocked and locked whenever I carry it. Scares the **** out of some people that do not understand. I have had a few coments to that fact.