PDA

View Full Version : Question on shotting on my own property.

cannaert
02-26-2013, 11:26 AM
OK. I live in Hartland Twp in Livingston County and I have yet to the same answer from any one on just doing to target practice on my families land.
We have 23 aches (sp) 20 is wooded and the rest is field. I plan on Building a huge dirt berm and picking up some 1/2" plate steel and angling at a 45* angle facing the ground.

My Concern is the fact that I have a subdivision the sites along the North side of the land and two homes at the far west. The Freeway Is on the East side and South side witch is all Woods and Corn fields and it slops down ward.

Any help info would be wonderful and ALL Positive or Negative feed back is welcome.

jmanz6
02-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Check your Township Ordinances to see if it's legal first. Amount of land is not part of the equation, legality in your township/city/village/town is.

TomE
02-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Look at the township zoning laws

http://www.hartlandtwp.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=YxVmWNkla_g%3d&tabid=732

I provided the actual link, your job is to read through all 304 pages for your info. Good Luck

Roundballer
02-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Section 4.40

Off-Road Vehicle and Snowmobile Trails, Outdoor Gun Ranges, and Auto Racing Tracks. Courses or trails for off-road vehicles, snowmobiles, gun ranges or similar use shall comply with the following regulations:

Minimum Parcel Size. A minimum of eighty (80) acres shall be required for such uses or other size parcel deemed appropriate for the proposed use by the Planning Commission.
Location. The site shall be located in a predominantly undeveloped area so as to minimize adverse impact on adjacent uses.
Operations Plan. The applicant shall provide an operations plan clearly outlining the types, location and intensity of uses approved by the Planning Commission. The Planning Commission may regulate the operation and hours of activity to minimize any adverse effects on adjacent properties

It looks like you would have to go talk to them. They are NOT preempted from regulating the discharge of firearms.

Planning Commissions may be convinced to make a variance for private use. Draw a sketch of your site plan, get "okays" from your neighbors, make a presentation to the PC.

shifty_85
02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
my buddy has 3 acres off of fenton road in heartland and he shoots all the time so does the person behide him. hear gun shots out there all weekend when im there.

TomE
02-26-2013, 03:20 PM
my buddy has 3 acres off of fenton road in heartland and he shoots all the time so does the person behide him. hear gun shots out there all weekend when im there.

The OP is axeing 'bout Hartland Township, not heartland.:lipseal:

shifty_85
02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
The OP is axeing 'bout Hartland Township, not heartland.:lipseal:

did not see that! :freak:

TomE
02-26-2013, 03:27 PM
did not see that! :freak:

:beer:

cannaert
02-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks TomE. I Never seem to find what I am looking for on that site. I always end up with someone else finding what I needed.

To Shifty_85 I know what you mean. There is NO other Fenton Rd near a Heartland in the state. Lots of people miss spell it.

Roundballer Thanks for the quick quote from the site.

TomE
02-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Good Luck

cableman22b
03-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Ask the local police

Roundballer
03-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Ask the local police
What the ******* would you want to do that for?

You NEVER depend on the police for an interpretation of the law.
They are not lawyers.
They are under NO obligation to tell you the truth.
They will always give an answer so as to always appear to be "in-charge", whether they know the correct answer or not.

ETA:
Never mind, I just saw. Member since July '09, with 11 posts. Only 7 of those posts still exist, so the other 4 were either ads, were in the Ammo Dump, or were deleted for violations. The 7 posts were made in the last hour, with one of them being an ad. So this is just more "Market place" spillage.

Cackler
03-07-2013, 07:37 AM
What the ******* would you want to do that for?

You NEVER depend on the police for an interpretation of the law.
They are not lawyers.
They are under NO obligation to tell you the truth.
They will always give an answer so as to always appear to be "in-charge", whether they know the correct answer or not.

Especially in the case of township zoning ordinances.

That said, the excerpt of the actual ordinance is just that and without the context, that may not be definitive enough to make a good presumption.

Oh the stories that I could tell about local ordinances, their interpretation, application, and inapplicability to certain things.