PDA

View Full Version : one eye opened

winked
01-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi everyone!

I wanted to introduce myself. I am a married woman in southwest MI.
I’m new to shooting. My Husband has owned guns for years and I wanted NO part of them.
About three months ago we started the discussion of my husband getting a CPL at first I thought he was crazy.... Period!
Then he comes up with this idea that I needed to learn about guns, huh?...I know he’s crazy now :grin: So , after talking about it, and a little persuasion as in, you don’t have to hunt or kill anything to learn about guns, and me finding the www.corneredcat.com a website that put it in a woman’s perspective that enlightened me so much.

I enrolled and finished the first steps class. I now have a new respect, fascination? Obsession? Interest with guns. (About three times a week at the range.)
The class was monumental for me and I feel that I had an eye opener. Thus the nickname ….winked….one eye opened

I found your website and saw
women’s stance and thought it would be fun to join and chat with other women/men and learn from your experiences.

fbuckner
01-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Welcome to MGO you will find alot of nice folks here and some lively entertaining debates,conversations and a wealth of knowledge. Hopefully you can make it to one of our functions and meet some of the members.

RifleGuy
01-01-2008, 02:00 PM
:welcome: Glad to have you onboard!

Maranatha
01-01-2008, 03:37 PM
How far are you from Lansing, Capitol City Rifle Club has had women only shoots I think in past and probably will have some this year.

Welcome to MGO and to the Shooting Sports, what kind of Gun do you Have?

Tallbear
01-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Glad you found us. Hope you find the information you need to become a responsible gun owner.

And corneredcat.com has a wealth of information for the shooter. Thanks for stopping in..........

KayL
01-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Hallelujah!!! A Woman!

Welcome to the forum, winked. There aren't many women posters here but I keep hoping more will join in. Thanks for coming on board.

To me, guns are the Magnificent Obsession. I'm very tactile, love mechanical things (m'cycles, cars too), and really enjoy shooting, cleaning, smelling, window-shopping, and just talking about guns. Also, the firearms community is an absolutely wonderful group of people. IDPA, Indoor Pistol, and Highpower Rifle are my main activities. And just started hunting finally.

I've discovered that once the mystery and media-created fear of firearms is overcome through education, most women really enjoy shooting and are naturally very good shots.

Like Maranatha said, CCRC (in Williamston, east of Lansing) has some women-only events a few times in the year, and we would be glad to have you come out.

What range have you been going to?

winked
01-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Welcome to MGO and to the Shooting Sports, what kind of Gun do you Have?

Hi!
Thanks for all the welcomes :D

I’m about an hour from Lansing.

I don’t personally own a gun yet. I’m waiting for the one that just says YES!

I took class with a Berretta U22 neos 6.0 (it was ok)
I’ve shot
Sig P226 (liked it)
Springfield XD9 and .40 ( liked the .40 better than the 9 )
Ruger MK2 ( I’ve shot this one a lot, most familiar with it, I can put 10 rounds in a two inch circle ....thinking I’m all that, until my hubby told me I need to back the target off a bit :crazy: )
Walther P22 ( didn’t like it, to much recoil for a .22)
Browning Buck Mark ( liked it a lot)
H&R 676 (liked it)

I have my eye on a S&W 642 with crimson trace…but haven’t been able to shoot one yet. I really want to try one of those.

At this point I haven’t decided.

Suggestions?

winked
01-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi Kay!

What range have you been going to?

I wanted to find one that was convenient for me
Strange as it may seem, but for me, being a woman it took a lot of guts to go into a pistol range by myself. I found one that was close to where I work as I wanted to be able to go during lunch break and shoot.

So I pulled up, got up my nerve and walked into Port City Pistol.
How refreshing! Greg was awesome! I told him I was brand new to shooting and
He said” welcome to the addiction”. We talked for awhile and I was relieved of my fears.

I called my husband as soon as I left; I was totally excited and felt so welcomed. We joined the very next day.

who dat
01-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi Kay!

I wanted to find one that was convenient for me
Strange as it may seem, but for me, being a woman it took a lot of guts to go into a pistol range by myself. I found one that was close to where I work as I wanted to be able to go during lunch break and shoot.

So I pulled up, got up my nerve and walked into Port City Pistol.
How refreshing! Greg was awesome! I told him I was brand new to shooting and
He said” welcome to the addiction”. We talked for awhile and I was relieved of my fears.

I called my husband as soon as I left; I was totally excited and felt so welcomed. We joined the very next day.

My favorite store! You picked a good one. Enjoy.

KayL
01-01-2008, 07:21 PM
...Suggestions?
Yes! My suggestion is to buy every one that you like. I'm serious! You have a good mix of pistols and revolvers there. Start with your favorite and keep adding. Each will be unique to itself and can be used for a different sport or activity. Layaway is a great way to go. You were lucky to be able to try out so many different ones. A distinct advantage.

I looked up Port City in Muskegon; a nice a gun store with an indoor range. Greg was right about 'the addiction.'

Looks like their range hours are only at night on weekdays. Do they let you come in during lunchtime with a membership?

I don't know Port City, but I do know some of the guys at Muskegon Pistol & Rifle Club. I've been to their outdoor range in Holton, and they have a separate indoor range somewhere in Muskegon but I've never been there. You might check them out too. PM me for contact info.

I’m waiting for the one that just says YES!
My problem is they ALL say yes!!!

who dat
01-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Yes! My suggestion is to buy every one that you like. I'm serious! You have a good mix of pistols and revolvers there. Start with your favorite and keep adding. Each will be unique to itself and can be used for a different sport or activity. Layaway is a great way to go. You were lucky to be able to try out so many different ones. A distinct advantage.

I looked up Port City in Muskegon; a nice a gun store with an indoor range. Greg was right about 'the addiction.'

Looks like their range hours are only at night on weekdays. Do they let you come in during lunchtime with a membership?

I don't know Port City, but I do know some of the guys at Muskegon Pistol & Rifle Club. I've been to their outdoor range in Holton, and they have a separate indoor range somewhere in Muskegon but I've never been there. You might check them out too. PM me for contact info.

My problem is they ALL say yes!!!

Kay,
Port City is located in a building with other active businesses attached. The range is in the lower level, under all the businesses. They only have evening hours, 5-8 PM, so as not to disturb the others.

Saturdays the range is open til 2 PM.