PDA

View Full Version : A note from the DNR Director

Tallbear
01-01-2008, 10:49 PM
DNR needs stable funding source

BY REBECCA A. HUMPHRIES

I would like to clarify some of the budget issues facing the Department of Natural Resources after reading your editorial, "DNR's short-term funding fix." Last year, we projected that the Game and Fish Protection Fund would have a balance of about $3.8 million on Sept. 30, 2007. We closed the books on Nov. 21, with a fund balance of $10.1 million.

There are three reasons we finished the fiscal year with a larger fund balance than expected.

First, the DNR realized significant savings by strictly adhering to the governor's executive directives to freeze hiring, trim travel and reduce other spending. This fiscal discipline resulted in 81 positions, 43 in our law enforcement division alone, funded by Game and Fish dollars remaining vacant throughout 2007 and into 2008.

Second, there was an increase in the number of hunting licenses sold. We had projected a 1.7 percent decrease, based on sales trends. A portion of the increase was caused by recruitment efforts, such as the introduction of apprentice licenses and the lowering of the hunting age, which occurred in 2006.

Third, Game and Fish Protection Fund investments experienced better returns than were forecast.

Your editorial states we should "bite the bullet" -- well, we have. Over the past three fiscal years we implemented planned spending reductions in the game and fish protection fund totaling $8 million. During the 2007 fiscal year, we further reduced spending by another $4.1 million via the executive directives. This is in addition to the reduction of general fund (taxpayer) support to the department of $31 million since 2001.

I am proud of the way my staff has practiced fiscal responsibility and has stretched our current license fees designed to last only six years into more than 10 years and counting.

Unfortunately, this comes at a cost in terms of our ability to best manage our natural resources for our citizens' use and enjoyment. A continual decline in revenue will not maintain our precious lands and habitat and will have untold adverse affects not only for our conservation constituencies, but also for the communities that depend on their quality to attract tourists for their economic well-being.

I agree, we have averted the short-term budgetary need for revenue generated by a hunting and fishing license increase but we still have to address long-term funding for natural resource management.

I look forward to working with the legislative work group, which is charged with developing recommendations for long-term funding of the department by Sept. 30.

Michigan is blessed with abundant natural resources that set us apart from other states. In fact, a recent study shows we are No. 2 in the nation for the amount of natural resources we manage, but we rank at the bottom on the amount of money spent on managing them.

If we are going to protect and manage those resources for future generations to enjoy, the DNR needs a stable source of long-term funding that spreads support among many, not just the hunters and anglers of this state.