PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

nightflurry
01-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Found this website the other day.

Just your run of the mill Michigan auto worker. I haven't been a shooter for too long but it's already starting to take up a disturbing part of the budget. ;)

RifleGuy
01-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Welcome, glad to have you on board!

A few suggestions to help with the budget: :silly:

1. Sam's Club & Costco usually have free samples of foods, a little strategic planning and you can dine for virtually free. Hats & sunglasses change your appearance enough where you usually get 2-3 passes at the better dishes.

2. Do all the grocery shopping yourself. Buy the store brands, no-name brands, etc., and repackage it in name-brand containers that you have hidden in the garage in advance. The family will never know, and the cost difference becomes "shooting funds."

3. Dumpster diving is not really that bad. Some days you can grab steaks and burger that the store has discarded for being past it's experation date. Expired? Nonsense! Just cook it a bit longer and add a little more salt. Some ketchup might be in order.

Tip number 3 DOES NOT APPLY TO SHRIMP!!! Trust me, just don't try it.

I've got a bunch of other tips too, just ask! HA!

fbuckner
01-04-2008, 05:47 PM
ha ha ha dumpster diving.. LOL not above me at all I honestly dumpster dive construction sites. It makes there haul away bill less and gives me some pretty good lumber. 3 years ago i got enough CDX to do the roof on my garage and still have about 10 sheets left for the repair of the old parts shed. Not to mention my sniper blind everything used in that came from dumpsters. 4x6 treated posts 24' long its insulated and heated. RSF has hunted out of it or actually we ate hot bear sausage and farted all night

nightflurry
01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
All perfectly sound advice!

Something I actually do is stuff more than one gun in a case when I go to the range. So if the family spots me I'm "Only shooting the 9mm, don't worry."

I picked up some reloading manuals the other day though and hope to get into that within the next few months. Should definitely help keep both myself and the collection fed. :D

RifleGuy
01-04-2008, 05:54 PM
CAUTION!!! Reloading can be nearly as addictive as shooting!

nightflurry
01-04-2008, 06:01 PM
CAUTION!!! Reloading can be nearly as addictive as shooting!

I got room for another since I quit smoking.

Oh and dumpster diving can be great. Back a ways ago I was a night guard at a landfill. Nobody around but me. Checked the dumpsters where people drop off trash every night. Sometimes I'd find a TV in there and plug it in and kick back, one time I had a nice night with an exercise bike. All sorts of interesting stuff people throw away.

RifleGuy
01-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Back a ways ago I was a night guard at a landfill. Nobody around but me. Checked the dumpsters where people drop off trash every night. Sometimes I'd find a TV in there and plug it in and kick back, one time I had a nice night with an exercise bike. All sorts of interesting stuff people throw away.
I had a nice excercise bike once; you could hang 2 suits, 3 pair of jeans, a couple of shirts, a heavy winter coat, a couple of bath towels and two 25 ft. extension cords off of it and still lean a rifle and two shotguns on it. :razz:

RifleGuy
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
I've never dumpster-dived, but I have eaten my fair share of road kill. Some of it I snagged myself, some of it peeled off of someone elses bumper (I saw the hit, never grabbed "stray" road kill!!)
A friend of mine started yelling for us to stop the truck one day. We pulled up, he jumped out and ran to a deer in the road. As he waved the flies away, he said, "This wasn't here two days ago!" He started cutting and tossing meat in the bed of the truck; took it home a couple hours later and put it in the fridge.
I have since politely declined every invitation to his house for dinner; I tend to be "busy" those nights.