PDA

View Full Version : HB 4457 Michigan firearm protection act

Tallbear
03-15-2013, 11:38 AM
HB 4457 of 2013 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2013-HB-4457)
Weapons; other; enforcement of federal limitation on firearms; prohibit. Creates new act.
Last Action: 3/14/2013 referred to Committee on Judiciary

Walther
03-15-2013, 11:58 AM
'Bout time, although I'm not sure it or any of it's kind will help. I guess it just lets the feds know where the state stands.

LibertyComrade
03-15-2013, 04:18 PM
This one has teeth. I greatly approve of this. Glad to see my Rep is a co-sponsor.

Donut
03-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Wow that is awesome.... Hope it is passes

Doug

badmofo529
03-16-2013, 12:06 AM
sweet, i hope this goes through.

malinoisman
03-16-2013, 10:26 PM
Hello All,
Im new here and though this is a very good start. I feel our Legislatures should make it illegal to enforce any new bans on ammunition, semi automatic weapons, accessories whether it is made within the state of MI or Not.

I read the context of the bill and I feel allowing the loophole to exist to not include products not manufactured in Michigan will allow any federal ban to be enforced here in the State.

As a hunter I feel Michigan offers great opportunities for Weapon Manufactures to thrive in this State. Ultimately though the 2nd Amendment is not about Hunting and Shooting Paper Targets. Its about our own self defense and the defense against Tyranny. Any ban will diminish our capacity to do so.

Leo

Walther
03-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Hello All,
Im new here and though this is a very good start. I feel our Legislatures should make it illegal to enforce any new bans on ammunition, semi automatic weapons, accessories whether it is made within the state of MI or Not.

I read the context of the bill and I feel allowing the loophole to exist to not include products not manufactured in Michigan will allow any federal ban to be enforced here in the State.

Leo

Hi Leo, welcome aboard.

This is bill is much like SB 0063, Michigan firearms freedom act. if I understand it correctly, the problem is that the Federal Govenrment sets the rules and regulations for interstate commerce. As such, the state legislature can't enact a law that supersedes the Feds in that regard. This is the reason for the 'made in' and 'owned in' Michigan language.

There are several states passing similiar laws. The truth is, no one knows at this point whether any of them will hold up if challenged. My guess is no, but it will be interesting to see.

malinoisman
03-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Thank You for the pointing out the Interstate Commerce Clause, I sometimes forget to think there are so many Rules and Regulations regarding every facet of of our life.

To be honest ive been a quiet gun owner, hunting when i have the time and not as active as I should be in pressuring our Legislatures to Prevent the further erosion of our rights.

That is starting to change, I started to join forums and hopefully with a little patience I will be a new owner of an AR 15 or AR 10. I never thought about purchasing one before but the fear has taken over.

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction in locating a Youth Shooting Program near the Lansing Area. I have 3 young daughters who are very girly girly but in recent weeks, I've started to discuss the importance of our Constitution and the Rights within them specifically the 2nd Amendment. Even if the end result is not them wanting to hunt but if we can go shooting at targets. It will be a greater improvement than the current status quo.

There are many of us quiet gun owners in Michigan who i hope will feel the need to not be so quiet and start being active. Im at fault for not doing so earlier and i hope its not too late to make a difference.

3006safari
03-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Our county passed a similar resolution to the wording in this bill. We will be forwarding it to everyone on Judiciary Committee. To me, it is ironic that the commerce clause is being used to regulate everything in the United States. When the commerce clause is in the section of the Constitution that limits the power of the federal government.

Andrew

MSGT
03-17-2013, 03:47 PM
A nice symbolic gesture, now if we could just get some manufacturers from the highly restrictive states to move here. I din't know of any arms or accessory mfg's here as of this time.

Walther
03-18-2013, 06:16 AM
A nice symbolic gesture, now if we could just get some manufacturers from the highly restrictive states to move here. I din't know of any arms or accessory mfg's here as of this time.

Eotech and Leapers come to mind immediately. Leapers is in Livonia, Eotech in Ann Arbor. I'm sure there are more.

ATA Works
03-18-2013, 08:27 AM
We have Trijacon in Wixom as well. Detroit Gun Works makes AR receivers but are now under an exclusive contract but that could change in the future.

MSGT
03-18-2013, 09:58 AM
But they aren't manufacturers of the items being targeted by feinstein (left uncapitaized on purpose)

LibertyComrade
03-19-2013, 02:16 PM
But they aren't manufacturers of the items being targeted by feinstein (left uncapitaized on purpose)

Having a bill like this on the books may entice them to Michigan if they decide to relocate though.

Also, this bill protects self-made products which is important when you consider 3D printed weapons and magazines like those you can make via Defense Distributed's WikiWeapon project.

MSGT
03-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Having a bill like this on the books may entice them to Michigan if they decide to relocate though.

Also, this bill protects self-made products which is important when you consider 3D printed weapons and magazines like those you can make via Defense Distributed's WikiWeapon project.
I hope they do decide to move here, we need jobs and I might even start a new career

Donut
03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
I just read that a company in Colorado is moving it's operation section by section out starting with its magazines because of the new laws they they just passed in Colorado. The company warned that if they passed the bill they would move.
I just read this yesterday and it was posted by the company CEO. And the person that posted it said he got the info off Facebook and I believe it will in the news soon.
I say good move to Michigan.

MSGT
03-19-2013, 07:30 PM
That would be MagPul but I haven't heard that they were headed here.

Donut
03-19-2013, 07:47 PM
That would be MagPul but I haven't heard that they were headed here.
Not sure they are headed here because other sates were welcoming them with open arms. So if there was a chance to come here Gov. Snider would have to work fast if there was something he could do.

Walther
03-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Remington is threatening to leave NY. There are 5 states including MI that are actively courting them. I suspect that's at least part of what this bill is about.

MSGT
03-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Not sure they are headed here because other sates were welcoming them with open arms. So if there was a chance to come here Gov. Snider would have to work fast if there was something he could do.

Snyder, firearm friendly, I think not. The backstabber

djohn625
09-10-2013, 01:47 AM
thank you