PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Shooters?

detroitpua
01-30-2008, 01:50 PM
A student called me up asking if there are any concerns about her shooting a gun and being exposed to lead while shooting. Another concern, perhaps, is the loud noise. She says she is four months pregnant.

Any input? I don't know if answering this question opens to door to providing medical advice.

Regards

RS2
01-30-2008, 01:55 PM
I would tend to think that any indoor shooting would involve some exposure to lead, and that it probably isn't very good for anyone, let alone a pregnant woman.

I would advise her to consult her physician.

Rolex Dr.
01-30-2008, 03:48 PM
I asked that question to my wifes doc. on our last visit

she said samething along the lead exposure line

She did state if it was light exposure it probably would not be an issue, but would depend on the vent system, the gun the person etc

at 16 weeks the "baby" is so immmauture I dont believe the noise would be as big of a concern as the lead

now if she had to shoot a few rounds in defense or in a hunting situtation that is a lot different then blasting at a range

would i take my wife shooting at an indoor range in her presnt condition
NO she is not that big of a shooter

would I take her to the gun club when i shoot sporting clays (yea she has to drive the cart)

JD

this poses a great question I am going to email my wifes Dr.

KayL
01-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Many of us on indoor leagues use special respirator masks that trap lead. They are only about $35 or so. You have to find ones with filters that specify they work with lead.

BOSS302
01-30-2008, 04:26 PM
As others have stated, lead is the real concern. I would tell her to avoid shooting while pregnant, especially indoors. If she plans on doing it, have her use lead free ammo, and try to shoot when there is no/few other shooters. Choose an outdoor range or at least one with good ventilation. Also be sure she washers her hands well afterwards.

detroitpua
01-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Many of us on indoor leagues use special respirator masks that trap lead. They are only about $35 or so. You have to find ones with filters that specify they work with lead.

You use the masks as a general precaution because you are in a league or do just the pregnant ladies use the masks?

Are these respirator masks reusable/hygenic? If I bought one just to keep in my range bag, could I easily clean it for use with a pregnant student?

karcent
01-30-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm no medical expert, but I think the sound and shockwaves from some of the large caliber guns is nothing I'd want to expose an unborn child to.
It's fact that they respond to sound. It can be seen on ultrasound recordings.

fbuckner
01-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I use respirators at work and we each have one. Iyou can clean them but we found that you cant get them clean enough. I would have her wait till she has givin birth and is no longer breast feeding. This is along the lines of good hygene I would never even think of putting an unborn in harms way no matter how much i was getting paid. That life it to valuable to me

KayL
01-30-2008, 04:36 PM
You use the masks as a general precaution because you are in a league or do just the pregnant ladies use the masks?

Are these respirator masks reusable/hygenic? If I bought one just to keep in my range bag, could I easily clean it for use with a pregnant student?
Most of us use them because we are all conscious of the lead levels in most older indoor ranges (in rifle clubs), which are not good. Unlike the new ones at gun shops with the very expensive air filtration systems.

You should be able to clean and reuse them with just alcohol wipes. They are rubber face masks with double filters so you look like a sci fi critter. I'll post a picture of one similar to what we use. If I remember, I'll dig out mine and get the brand.

This one is only about $15.

No one but a doctor can help a mother decide if the noise and lead exposure would harm an unborn child.

http://store.pksafety.net/asledu.html

detroitpua
01-30-2008, 04:41 PM
I use respirators at work and we each have one. Iyou can clean them but we found that you cant get them clean enough. I would have her wait till she has givin birth and is no longer breast feeding. This is along the lines of good hygene I would never even think of putting an unborn in harms way no matter how much i was getting paid. That life it to valuable to me

Since you put it that way, I find it hard to disagree with you.

However, what I will say is that a few of my students have been robbed between the time we first made contact and the time that they actually took the class. (No jokes about me robbing prospects please - LOL)

Another view might be that letting her shoot - just this once - just to meet the state's requirements and getting a CPL would be better than her getting mugged, beaten, robbed, raped, or killed without a gun.

fbuckner
01-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Just make sure she has her OWN mask. $15 bucks out of her class fee's wouldnt break the bank.

KayL
01-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Another view might be that letting her shoot - just this once - just to meet the state's requirements and getting a CPL would be better than her getting mugged, beaten, robbed, raped, or killed without a gun.
In that case, just for taking a class... if it was me, I would use the respirator and shoot.

RifleGuy
01-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Mr. Ector, I tend to believe that you are correct with the "just this once" stance. I would strongly suugest the young lady wear a respirator, but I would imagine their would be no harm. But, I would consult a physician just to be safe.

KayL
01-30-2008, 04:50 PM
By the way, many doctors don't know much about lead exposure or its effects. People need to do some research on their own.

Rolex Dr.
01-30-2008, 05:44 PM
kay you are correct

i was thinking along karcents line the loudness

JD

KayL
01-30-2008, 06:23 PM
I found a source for the respirator most of us use (and some good prices too). I have a North 7700-30S (The S means small. There's also M, L)

Mine is several years old and it must have changed. The current North 5500-30 picture (below) matches mine, and the 7700 is a slightly different version with bigger cartridges.

So basically, the model I'm using is the current North 5500-30S. These are now $10! You'll see replacement cartridges on each detail page.

Here's a website with North products and good prices.

http://www.boss-safety.com/shop/index.php?manufacturers_id=3&sort=2a&filter_id=1184

KayL
01-30-2008, 06:26 PM
One thing everyone can do to reduce lead exposure after shooting, is to immediately afterward, wash your hands and face with soap and cold water. That will greatly reduce surface dust. I would recommend that to all your students.

fbuckner
01-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Lab safety services also has them.

detroitpua
01-30-2008, 07:01 PM
The input has been very helpful. I imagine that if I say to the prospective student that shooting "just this once should be okay and BTW here's a respirator," she'll probably balk.

KayL
01-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Well, that would be her choice, and she can wait until after giving birth to take the class.

Indoor, almost everyone is using respirators. None of us are pregnant. Heck, most are men. But unless you are using a range with a state-of-the-art air filtration system, everyone should be using them. Those little white strap-ons don't do anything.

fbuckner
01-30-2008, 07:30 PM
strap ons are for uhhmmm.. Oh dust particulate and not very good for that. i will order a few of the lead respirators tonight from lab safety they are one of my suppliers and give me a good break.

KayL
01-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Oh now, just stop it. :whip:

Those cheap white hospital masks don't capture lead particulate. Maybe airborne viruses, but that's it!

You might want to get a batch of replacement cartridges also. Come in a two-pak.

UTPD#5
01-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I would not expose the lady or the unborn to either the lead particulate or the concussion of the rounds. If her doctor signed off on the class, I would still not feel right knowing that there is a chance.

In my academy class we had a pregnant female, 7 weeks, and she was told she could not participate in the live fire portions of the class. It was outside in nice weather. The instructors wouldn't expose her to that.

As an FYI on a similar note, years ago I had the chance to participate in waterborne exercises involving live fire and such...we fired Glocks under water and the concussion felt was enough to cause slight bruising of the kidneys. This causes blood in urine among other things...

My point is...fetus in a "water" sack, some two feet from 100 rounds going bang.

fbuckner
01-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I agree water transmits sound at what 1000 times faster. It would not be in the best intrest or be worth the $160 bucks to endanger this unborn child.

KayL
01-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Off topic... While in utero, my kid went dirt biking, downhill skiing, and snowmobiling. But that was my choice. I stayed away from cigarette smoke though.

langenc
01-30-2008, 08:05 PM
If the lady is worried about lead I hope she dont go where there is smoke and she abstains from alcohol.

The doc will not recommend she do it-liability.

antigunnut
01-31-2008, 07:01 AM
I have trained a women who was with child (the future of our sport). Her doctor gave her a note and we had her shoot alone on the range. and on the lighter side I put ears on her belly.