PDA

View Full Version : Hearing protection advice

brotheryang
03-31-2013, 08:23 AM
My wife and son and I are going to be getting in to the clay sports soon. What kind of hearing protection do any of you recommend? I currently have some Howard Leight R-01526 headphones sitting in a cart online. They seem to be low profile, which I am guessing would be better for long gun. But I am open to all suggestions and advice from our fellow members. What do you think? Plugs, headset, both?

deadlyforce66
03-31-2013, 09:06 AM
I have never found a pair of ear muffs that work for me when shooting a rifle or shotgun. I've tried a dozen variety's and all of them get in the way of a good cheek weld for me. For 25 years I've used molded ear plugs and that's all I use. I get them professionally done for about $80 every 5 years or so.

brotheryang
03-31-2013, 10:49 PM
I have never found a pair of ear muffs that work for me when shooting a rifle or shotgun. I've tried a dozen variety's and all of them get in the way of a good cheek weld for me. For 25 years I've used molded ear plugs and that's all I use. I get them professionally done for about $80 every 5 years or so.
Thanks for the advice. First I want to make sure they are into it as much as I hope they will be, before making that investment. Maybe foam plugs until we see the level of interest?

DP425
04-01-2013, 01:32 AM
http://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-X-Neckband.html

Those are what I use- they are designed to be worn with a combat helmet, so they are truly low profile. I'm not huge on shotgun shooting- I do the occasional sporting clays and that's it- no trap or skeet. But they have always worked fine for what shotgunning I have done. As far as rifle work- I do quiet a bit of it... never a problem. I run the silicone ear cups and they work just fine with eye pro. The above ear pro is available in a version that plugs into a standard US Military radio com port and include a mic; these are standard issue in many SF units.

Also worth considering, although a lot more expensive- they do make in-canal electronic plugs. Molded to your ear and include the attenuating mic similar to the muffs. These are usually upwards of $1200 and more. So only really worth considering if your budget is excessively large!

markopolo50
04-02-2013, 05:37 PM
I have done quite a bit of skeet and occasional sporting clays and I usually wear some type of muffs. I like the electronic ones that cut out the noised completely. There are some types that advertise "reducing" the noise level to a certain low harmless level but those didn't work for me. Look at these at Cabela's for example. They have a good rating. Cabela's has quite a selection for comparison and shop around. Good luck with the shooting and family fun. Well if that link doesn't work, they are Howard Leight Impact Sport Earmuff!!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howard-Leight-Impact8482-Sport-Earmuff/708113.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dear%2Bmuffs%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=ear+muffs&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

brotheryang
04-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks dp and Marco. If we really take to this, I figured I would look at molded plugs. The muffs you recommended, Marco, are the same ones I was looking at on Amazon, and there they are $49. thanks again for your advice and experience.

Deadmeat3344
04-03-2013, 04:12 PM
I own a set of the muffs in the OP. They are excellent. Please note that I wear those AND cvs brand ear plugs outside. I recommend that these muffs are not used indoors due to the low noise reduction (but that's going to be the case with low profile muffs anyway). Cheek weld is unimpaired.

mikezalewski
06-29-2013, 05:27 PM
I know that there are some earmuffs that are like $100 but is there any great ears for cheap? I am just starting to get into this so spending a fortun is not an option.

langenc
06-29-2013, 07:00 PM
I know that muffs sometimes go ''clunk'' when hitting the gunstock. Idont know what to tell you to use..

I do know that you need as good of protection and you can afford and use them every shot...and the family. Try some and see if the clunking is really a problem for you.

Borrow a set for a round of clays to see how they fit/work.

bolonytony24
06-29-2013, 07:17 PM
strongly recomend the headsets. some are better than others and cost more. db rating should all be on the packaging. wallmart sells the winchester 26 db ones for 10-12$ and those work just fine. if you are going to be shooting outdoors its not as critical to have the high db as if you were shooting at an indoor range. i have a slightly more expensive pair and buy 2 of the wallyworld specials and use all indoors and they are fine. headsets take alittle getting use to but seem to work better than the standard earplugs. ive seen cabelas selling headsets for upwards of 200$ that are the same db rating or 29 but in camo. id save your money and buy the inexpensive ones and afford more ammo. :hardhat:

TomE
06-29-2013, 07:36 PM
What did you say??? If I had it to do over, no loud car stereo, no loud Walkmans, and wear earplugs AND Ear Muffs.

KeithD
06-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Sordins. Dont cheap out on eyes and ears.

TomE
06-29-2013, 07:56 PM
What?

Gifters
06-29-2013, 08:04 PM
I like the howard light impact sports, we have a few sets of those muffs, for shotgun I can wear them but they occasionally get bumped off.. so I'd double up with ear plugs. I think I have some of the surefire plugs...

If I need to I'll ditch the muffs for shooting long guns or even pistol prone but when you're trying to talk with someone having the HL and plugs works well.

cmr19xx
06-30-2013, 07:08 AM
$30 at Amazon. Work great. Shoot clays all the time with them.

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-40974-Electronic-Ear-Muffs/dp/B001E8PPM0