PDA

View Full Version : Do You Spy On The Competition?

detroitpua
02-05-2008, 03:57 PM
How many instructors here fill out contact forms on competitor web sites to find a competitive edge?

I just discovered that another instructor filled out my request form. I find it funny. It would have been easier to just ask me. What do you think? Is this under-handed?

San_Marco_Training
02-05-2008, 05:16 PM
I really haven't experienced too many "competitors" around here except one particular couple who will stop at nothing to make it interesting for a few of us.

I know we have taken a few phony calls here and there to ask us specific questions like how long is the course and can I pay extra and get out of taking the class, stuff like that.

Did this person come right out and tell you who they were?

detroitpua
02-05-2008, 05:22 PM
I really haven't experienced too many "competitors" around here except one particular couple who will stop at nothing to make it interesting for a few of us.

I now we have taken a few phony calls here and there to ask us specific questions like how long is the course and can I pay extra and get out of taking the class, stuff like that.

Did this person come right out and tell you who they were?

No. They filled out a contact form asking the following:

"How long does it take to get the CPL after I take the class. How long have you been teaching and what other training have you had? Have you shot in competition, military, or attended other extended training?"

I noticed that the email address was the same as was listed in a solicitation for CCW classes on the internet.

If I wanted to know what other folks were doing I'd just ask. Maybe it's just me.

San_Marco_Training
02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Sounds like another trainer. I have to wonder why some people have to do what they can to keep others from getting a few students. There are more than enough potential students to go around. What's the problem of you teach a few people? You aren't "stealing" students from anyone, so what should it matter to this guy?

detroitpua
02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I "talked" to the person in question. It appears that I have jumped the gun and reached a different conclusion from the actual situation. In retrospect, I should've just reached out to him and asked him "what was up." In any case, my bad.

San_Marco_Training
02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Perfect.. It's always better to find out a simple misunderstanding. Although, I have seen some of the "competitors" in many different fields take part in that kind of activity. Sometimes they just want to keep up with the others and see whats being offered. As long as you are giving the people at least what they expect, you'll be OK. Give them more than they expect and you'll be a hero.

fbuckner
02-06-2008, 03:04 AM
I can understand all the nervousness. San Marco knows as well as other instructors on this site of 2 very un ethical and devious instructors. They dont visit this board as far as i know but there antics have reached across lines many wouldnt cross. But for some reason they are untouchable and we will have to deal with them on individual basis as we have contact with them.

Roger Roney
02-06-2008, 03:57 AM
....of 2 very un ethical and devious instructors. They dont visit this board as far as i know.....And if they did, might we have to suspend the "UC" premise of our founding? :twisted: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad detroitpua got the situation cleared up.

I will say I admire all the instructors here for working together, sharing, helping each other, both with materials and in person, and all the other comraderie you seem to share in trying to be/give your individual and collective best! :clap:

Roger

antigunnut
02-12-2008, 06:44 PM
hey buddy you know TC can check on instructors but a TC can not check on another TC but a Master can. So call me and tell me who it was and I will go visit there class. Also when they do that invite them to your class and when they get there have them help LOL

No. They filled out a contact form asking the following:

"How long does it take to get the CPL after I take the class. How long have you been teaching and what other training have you had? Have you shot in competition, military, or attended other extended training?"

I noticed that the email address was the same as was listed in a solicitation for CCW classes on the internet.

If I wanted to know what other folks were doing I'd just ask. Maybe it's just me.

antigunnut
02-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Hey they are not untouchable soon they will be very touchable and doing only sig training

I can understand all the nervousness. San Marco knows as well as other instructors on this site of 2 very un ethical and devious instructors. They dont visit this board as far as i know but there antics have reached across lines many wouldnt cross. But for some reason they are untouchable and we will have to deal with them on individual basis as we have contact with them.

fbuckner
02-12-2008, 07:11 PM
well see they seem to be untouchable

MICPL
02-12-2008, 07:24 PM
I will say I admire all the instructors here for working together, sharing, helping each other, both with materials and in person, and all the other comraderie you seem to share in trying to be/give your individual and collective best! :clap:

Roger

I couldnt have said it better

San_Marco_Training
02-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I was discussing this matter with a friend today. I was asking advice from someone outside the "gun world". We talked about the "higher standard" we as CPL holders are expected to follow, and how these uncooperative types would be dealt with in other types of business. I'm not here to mess with anyone else's business, I just want to do what I do peacefully without having to spend half my day making sure my ads aren't being messed with, or store managers getting the wrong idea about other trainers, etc.

This guy spends half his working day bitching to managers of ranges and stores about how unfair things are against him. The managers just want to shut him up so they humor him a little. Give an inch.... take a mile.

I'm trying to be patient and ride this one out. I'm giving them all the rope they want to hang themselves. Then we can get back to the way things should be... BBQ!!! Can't wait for the warmer weather!

fbuckner
02-13-2008, 09:37 PM
I have chosen to ignore them altogether. what they do in public is a testiment to how they handle class and students. I just keep on keeping on. straighten up everyones displays equally and keep them all facing front. They reap what they sow. When I did talk to management they simply said they dont have time to manage counter space but would keep an eye on the ads for all of us. It would be nice to have a get together someday at a range and shoot the breeze.

San_Marco_Training
02-13-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm all for a meet. I know I have met at least a few people from here already and don't even know it.
In my case, it's become a personal thing with this guy. I used to teach for him. He did the same thing to anyone who left his organization. He would go out of his way to make things harder for them. But as only time can tell, his plot isn't working as well anymore. People are starting to catch on and not put up with his crap. I'll be the first to call him out on any of this if needed.

going in the marines
02-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Did he send you after cat and Brenda

I'm all for a meet. I know I have met at least a few people from here already and don't even know it.
In my case, it's become a personal thing with this guy. I used to teach for him. He did the same thing to anyone who left his organization. He would go out of his way to make things harder for them. But as only time can tell, his plot isn't working as well anymore. People are starting to catch on and not put up with his crap. I'll be the first to call him out on any of this if needed.

San_Marco_Training
02-23-2008, 12:27 AM
he was always complaining about them. He was so pissed about leaving him and going out on their own. I never met the. They're probably nothing like he described them, or any of the others he disliked.