PDA

View Full Version : Kids and guns by the nightstand

Tjgarcia88
04-05-2013, 05:08 PM
It's a habit of mine to keep my pistol on the nightstand next to my bed at night. Lately, my two kids(age 7 and 3) have been sneaking in at the middle of the night and making me nervous about keeping it there. Anyone ran into a similar problem that can give me some suggestions? thanks?(3rd month gun owner)

wsr
04-05-2013, 05:16 PM
don't leave guns where kids can access them. mount a retention holster to the bed or nightstand

teecro
04-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Time to find a more secure location or option for storage of your gun.... Your just 3 months into gun ownership so there is no way that your kids can be expected to understand and/or be educated on the dangers of guns; it is best that you start locking up in some sort of quick acting safe and/or picking a more secure location to keep your gun....

Winterbeater
04-05-2013, 05:44 PM
When my kids were young, I never left guns around. Now they are grown up and gone, I can do as I please. If something bad happened you would never get over it. Make double sure. Between accidents and youth suicides, it's not worth the risk.

Glock2340ACP
04-06-2013, 06:49 AM
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Storage/Gun-Safes%7C/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104369580/Secure-Vault8482-Select-Personal-Safe/733504.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN %3D1100213%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104792580%253Bca t104730480&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104730480%3Bcat104 369580

Personal safe for $63 at Cabelas

Pond Scum
04-06-2013, 07:16 AM
I have this under the bed.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-3040DF-Digital-Security/dp/B000WUH73Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1365250225&sr=8-7&keywords=honeywell+laptop+safe

They also have a smaller version on Amazon for $34.

I bought mine at Meijers. I like it. Fast with the electronic lock but it also has the key lock in case the electronic lock fails. Comes with a cable to secure it to the bedpost.

It won't stop a thief with a crowbar but i figure it will keep out the grandkids.

ChaneyD
04-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Training, training, training. When mine were little I would leave a revolver on the bed unloaded. Kept reminding them on the dangers of firearms. Once or twice had to remind them not to touch. Never a problem. Did the same thing with my grand kids. Now when they go into the bedroom they come back out and tell me they can't watch TV because there's a gun on the bed (unloaded of course).

ChaneyD
04-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Deleted

rdarabos
04-06-2013, 08:41 AM
leave no gun unattended if you have children in the house while you are sleeping it is unattended , I have a key touch pad small safe i keep in bedside table, when the kids come around it is locked. i have it set up with a simple three number combo that i can use in the dark, with practice. it is still loaded but safe from curious , little ones . sometime the kids stay the night so i still feel safe knowing they cannot access the gun. I remember when my kids were young i would wake up even in the middle of the night and they would be standing there starring at me . you cant be too safe with little ones. good luck, hope for the best. just my 2c worth

sparksr2
04-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Gander mountain has a good selection of secure access safes that would work great for your handgun. I have a biometric one that I have on my nightstand secured to back that uses fingerprint access technology. the also have other sizes and types that range from $19.99 simple but secure 21 guage key or combination access gun vault up to $250 for a biometric type. Always be safe and limit access to your hanguns to those who should access them. Great question and feedback from all the great gunowners in michigan.

Chopper
04-06-2013, 12:03 PM
time to teach them not to mess with it and how it works

Jack-w-1911
04-07-2013, 12:37 AM
I would get some type of storage that fits on or in the nightstand. I would also start familiarizing them to firearms and the dangers. (not sure a 3 y.o. would understand any of it, but only you as the parent could judge that).

If you carry (have a cpl) or are comfortable carrying around the house; that would help take the "taboo" out of your sidearm (most kids like playing with or getting into things they are forbidden from). Remember to empty the chamber at very least; as you don't want to be muzzling the little ones that will surely be underfoot. My kids are mostly grown now, but whenever I'm around the grandkids I empty the chamber (that's one accident I don't think I could live with).

I am not a firearms trainer in any legal capacity; just a very conscientious gun owner and carrier. Use good judgement, be safe and by all means have some fun at the range with it. And that is my 2 pennies.

Ricebrnr
04-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Gun proof the kids, you can't kid proof guns.

And get one of the smal lockers mentioned.

Veteran
04-07-2013, 10:57 AM
When my kids were young, I never locked up my rifles. Ammunition wasn't near and I didn't worry about them even touching them. When they got older and had friends over to the house, things changed. Even though I trusted their friends, what if they told someone else about it. I bought a security cabinet and put them in it. Now I have a safe. My point is that times have changed and you have to be more proactive with guns. With the video games, TV shows and movies kids think guns are fun to play with.

MichiganShootist
04-07-2013, 11:11 AM
When my daughter was very young. I took her to the range and showed her how loud and powerful my pistol was (a Glock 21). There were many long talks with her about my gun and how important it was to respect it and not touch it.

Under my supervision We let her try and rack the slide. At that age she had no possibility of doing it. So when I went to bed at night the G-21 was in my night stand with a full magazine and no round in the chamber. In case I needed it --- it would only take a second to rack the gun but I knew my daughter couldn't.

Every 6 months or so we would have another "gun class" and she would have an opportunity to rack the gun and win a prize.

When the day came that she could even move the slide a lock went on the gun.

During the day, when we were gone, or when there were guests in the house the magazine was in my pocket..... if the gun wasn't on my belt.

This wasn't a perfect solution but it was long before these little bedside safes were around. Today I'd buy on of those for sure.

RifleGuy
04-07-2013, 11:12 AM
My daughter was checked out on all my guns when she was 8. She has always had full access to any weapon in the house. She is now 16 (and in her third year of college... woohoo!)

When she was/is having friends over, she gathers all the guns and locks them into the safe before any of her friends enter the house. One gun remains accessible, but it is secured and concealed.

Same approach my Dad took with us boys growing up.

RifleGuy
04-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Gun proof the kids, you can't kid proof guns.

And get one of the smal lockers mentioned.

:thup:

king2517
04-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Everytime I buy a new gun I sit down with my Son and show it to him, I saftey check it then I let him saftey check it, I have him ask questions about it.

I teach him gun safety using a Softair Replica of a Beretta
He is 7 and is not even remotely interested in handling my guns but still I lock up my guns when I'm sleeping or not around

Winterbeater
04-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Same approach Ms. Lanza took. Hope you all know you kid's inside brains better than she did. With child raising issues with my kids, I was a little apprehensive about teenage mood swings, so I kept it all locked up. It's better to be safe than sorry. :togo:

jjkukla
04-11-2013, 06:30 PM
The opinions here will vary as much as Michigan weather. Bottom line is you gotta do what you gotta do so you can sleep well at night. Whatever that is!
I have a 6 year old son. For the last few years I have taken the approach of allowing him to see (not touch) my firearms - I keep them in a safe, with the door open - and even view thru the optics while under my supervision. My philosophy is that the more you try to hide things from kids, the more curious they become. And with the pistol that sits on my nightstand, I let it sit there in the open when he is in the room (unloaded of course). For one, I know he is not strong enough to rack the slide. Two, I constantly remind him "if I ever catch you touching one of my guns, I'll break your arm." So far he has been able to remain out of a cast.
I am sure my techniques will change as he gets older, stronger, more curious and has friends coming over. And I'm not saying that what I do is right for everyone. But for now I choose to take the "mystery" out of the equation and allow him to see what it's all about... in a controlled environment.

gwc1975
04-11-2013, 06:55 PM
The opinions here will vary as much as Michigan weather. Bottom line is you gotta do what you gotta do so you can sleep well at night. Whatever that is!
I have a 6 year old son. For the last few years I have taken the approach of allowing him to see (not touch) my firearms - I keep them in a safe, with the door open - and even view thru the optics while under my supervision. My philosophy is that the more you try to hide things from kids, the more curious they become. And with the pistol that sits on my nightstand, I let it sit there in the open when he is in the room (unloaded of course). For one, I know he is not strong enough to rack the slide. Two, I constantly remind him "if I ever catch you touching one of my guns, I'll break your arm." So far he has been able to remain out of a cast.
I am sure my techniques will change as he gets older, stronger, more curious and has friends coming over. And I'm not saying that what I do is right for everyone. But for now I choose to take the "mystery" out of the equation and allow him to see what it's all about... in a controlled environment.

I have did the exact same thing with my boys. Keep them from being curious!

tquick67675
04-11-2013, 07:37 PM
It's a habit of mine to keep my pistol on the nightstand next to my bed at night. Lately, my two kids(age 7 and 3) have been sneaking in at the middle of the night and making me nervous about keeping it there. Anyone ran into a similar problem that can give me some suggestions? thanks?(3rd month gun owner)

I have 2 boys 6 and 8 and have a Gunvault Biometric mounted to the nightstand. I have found it to be very reliable and feel very confident that they can't get to it.

Gunvault SVB500

magstang1
04-20-2013, 02:06 PM

As respectfully as possible:

Isn't this like dangling a carrot in front of him? Look but don't touch.

My father had guns in our home when I was young. I knew where they were. I don't think that he knew that though. I was occasionally shown them and allowed to handle them with his supervision. That only provoked more curiosity. Should he have handled it differently, maybe. Should I have known better, maybe. None of that would have mattered if something bad would have happened. I'm not going into detail but I DISTINCTLY remember one incident that could have ended horribly, and no one ever knew about it.

You don't know what goes on behind closed doors. You don't know what goes on in a child's mind. Everyone thinks their kids are perfect and they would never disobey. Maybe some are. Most are not.

This is fact: As a gun owner you are responsable for the control of your firearms at all times. If they're out of your sight and not locked up, they are not in your control.

My young son is growing up at a pace that scares the crap out of me. I don't know exactly what the best method is to handle the situation. The only thing I'm certain of is that I'm going to do everything in my power to protect him. The first step is control. The second step is education. He's not ready for education.

This is one of the best bed side solutions I have found. Sturdy, fairly compact, silent, no batteries and it can be opened in the dark by touch. It's not cheap though.

https://www.ftknox.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=54

chjhorses
04-20-2013, 03:07 PM
I got a Gunvault GV2000 Deluxe for my nightstand when my kid started walking-

Takes about 2 seconds to open even in the dark, no fumbling with keys, has 2 shelves. I put the 3 guns I carry most in it along with my OC (once he started trying to play with other things on my belt). Has plug in power with battery backup. Locks you out if the wrong code is entered several times (kid playing with it) and then you have to use the key to reset. Also has a tamper alarm. Haven't had to change batteries yet. It's not great for anti theft, but for being able to keep your loaded handguns close and fast to get to but inaccessible to the little ones who aren't old enough to be taught much yet I haven't found anything better. I agree with teaching them about guns very early and not just keeping them locked away as a secret, but I think that starts once a kid becomes old enough to teach and understand basic concepts. A toddler isn't going to understand, and it's not worth risking your child or anyone else to think "he probably won't bother it".

Skidog
04-20-2013, 03:29 PM
I like this one.

http://www.dunhamssports.com/products/gunvault-minivault/

jjkukla
04-25-2013, 01:36 PM
As respectfully as possible:

Isn't this like dangling a carrot in front of him? Look but don't touch.
I don't disagree with anything you said. As I mentioned, opinions vary and I'm sure the way I handle things (as he gets older) will change. Up til now it has worked fine; he has been very respectful of the rules I have put in place. Further, like I said before, I never leave a loaded firearm unattended - not at deer camp, not at the range and definitely not at home. So if he were so brave as to find one of my guns and decide to "play" with it... it'd be no more than a heavy, metal object that he can break something with.

misfitbiker
04-27-2013, 08:27 AM
I just finished discussing this thread with my 11 year old. He has been aware of my guns as long as he can remember and trained on safety since he was old enough to understand. Any bedside safe, from the cheapest to the most hi-tech is less than the price you would pay if there was an "accident". The time I have spent training my son on safety isn't so much for my home as it is for when he is away to a friends, and could be in the home of an irresponsible gun owner. I guess what I'm saying is, securing your firearms as well as safety training are both very important. My kid knows better, but what about his buddies?

bb1248
07-31-2013, 02:55 PM
I have a son who will be walking soon so this has been on my mind lately. As of now my EDC handgun sits inside the drawer of my nightstand every night. I will be looking into quick access Home Defense options over the next couple weeks. With that being said, I think education is extremely important, and as soon as my son is old enough to understand he will begin learning firearm safety. However, IMO this is not enough. Just because a child can learn the difference between right and wrong doesn't mean that they won't make mistakes or have a lapse in judgement at some point in their life. It would be ignorant of me to think that my son will be perfect and will always do the right thing. When it comes to the responsibility that goes with owning firearms, education and trust isn't enough for me to have peace of mind. That's why if the weapons isn't on me it'll be locked up at all times.

Sorry to revive an old thread. Just my 0.02

larrmill59
08-05-2013, 07:27 PM
I don't have kids of my own but the neighbor kids are always nearby. While they know they should stay out when I'm not there that doesn't mean they always do. It's too easy for them to play hide and seek while I'm in the back yard. The only time my gun is loaded or unlocked or out is late at night when I'm home and the house is locked up.

Once I get my CPL it will be on my person or it will be locked away. (except at night) The risk is just too great to let my guard down even once.

Spike Country
08-20-2013, 08:51 PM
My cpl pistols are always "Hot" when on me as soon as I take them off they go in a locked safe. At night the glock 22 comes out on the night stand full mag nothing in the chamber, the night sights show me the way when I awake at night. I figure I can rack the slide faster than open a safe, not perfect but it works for me.

polcat34
08-20-2013, 09:12 PM
leave no gun unattended if you have children in the house while you are sleeping it is unattended , I have a key touch pad small safe i keep in bedside table, when the kids come around it is locked. i have it set up with a simple three number combo that i can use in the dark, with practice. it is still loaded but safe from curious , little ones . sometime the kids stay the night so i still feel safe knowing they cannot access the gun. I remember when my kids were young i would wake up even in the middle of the night and they would be standing there starring at me . you cant be too safe with little ones. good luck, hope for the best. just my 2c worth

+1

SimbaLion
08-28-2013, 11:48 PM
gunvault sells very affordable quick-access safes. Buy one and never leave your guns unsecured in a house with kids.

Hiding your guns is not useful, children grow up, and become very resourceful, well before they have the good judgement skills of a mature person.

shoxroxice
08-30-2013, 12:16 PM
I have a baby on the way and friends bring their kids over to our house. I keep my guns locked up when they are not in my direct control and possession i.e. being carried by me. Anything less than locked up or carried on body isn't worth the risk IMO.

I second what others have said about a bedside lockbox, the Gunvault is worth every penny for the peace of mind it brings. It's quick to access and help secure handguns from unwanted access. Make sure it bolt it to whatever you're setting it in/on.

For less than $100, it's worth every penny. There are more expensive versions, but this is the best value to me.
Gunvault GV1000S (http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV1000S-Mini-Vault-Standard/dp/B001C601KA/ref=sr_1_5?tag=wothme-20&ie=UTF8) on Amazon.com for $93.45 + free shipping