PDA

View Full Version : Help me please. New thing for me.

blazingangel01
02-15-2008, 09:55 PM
I thought a lot about and next dear season I would like to hunt.So where and how do i start? What do i do with the kill after and so on? Help me.....:!:

Tallbear
02-15-2008, 10:49 PM
First you have to find a place to hunt. If you already have that, you have to know if it's in the shotgun only area.

I blackpowder rifle is a good choice. It will kill deer out to 200 yards "if you pactice". And of course you'll need the basics........camo clothing, scent killer, blind (cover) , etc.

Roger Roney
02-16-2008, 04:52 AM
I thought a lot about and next dear season I would like to hunt.So where and how do i start? What do i do with the kill after and so on? Help me.....:!:First off, have you taken and passed a Hunter Safety Course? Then on to what Tallbear said. :lol:

Roger

Maranatha
02-16-2008, 07:20 AM
and depending where you live, Michigan 2A has a number of Hunters Safety classes scheduled for this year.

fbuckner
02-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Ahhhem CAMO AND FIREARMS..Nuhh uhh CAMO AND BOWS ,ORANGE AND FIREARMS. then go to sportsmans warehouse where it is your one stop shop for all you outdoor needs. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

fotophocus
02-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Ahhhem CAMO AND FIREARMS..Nuhh uhh CAMO AND BOWS ,ORANGE AND FIREARMS. then go to sportsmans warehouse where it is your one stop shop for all you outdoor needs. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

I thought you're supposed to wear your brown Carharts with sticks strapped to your head??

Grouchy Hippo
02-17-2008, 12:14 AM
I thought a lot about and next dear season I would like to hunt.So where and how do i start? What do i do with the kill after and so on? Help me.....:!:

Dear? First thing is NOT shoot anyone you call dear. Second, if it is a deer that you shoot what you do with it depends on if you got a license before you shot it.

Get a "Hunting For Dummies" book and read it.

Just kidding. Take one of those suggested hunting safety classes and then maybe hook up with some experienced hunters who don't drink and hunt.

LivoniaDan
02-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Increase your chances... Get your license early... and get an anterless permit...

ro2
02-29-2008, 10:58 PM
learn to bow hunt first it will make you a much better hunter in the long run. Plus you have to deal with a lot less people coming in the woods 10 minutes before light on opening day.

Done Deal
03-06-2008, 08:25 AM

Hunter safety

Find private ground that holds deer and secure access

Find somebody that is experienced to show you the ropes and, that will be alot easier to do if you take them to the deer rather than expecting them to take you to their spot. Otherwise, you may as well hire a guide and that may not be too beneficial except for putting you in front of a deer to shoot.

Where are you thinking of hunting? I say that because, the equipment you may need can vary. I WOULD NOT stroll into a sportings goods store with plastic in hand and ask for help....you need to educate yourself first so you aren't needlessly spending money.

Tallbear
03-06-2008, 08:32 AM
....you need to educate yourself first so you aren't needlessly spending money.

I really enjoy spending other peoples money. ;)

country_boy
03-20-2008, 02:40 PM
I always go with the combo tag. If you dont have a place to hunt, start knockin on doors. I have got permission from alot of farmers to "take as many as you want" just by knocking on the door and saying "ive been told you are the owner of such and such land. by chance is there anyone hunting there this year?"

If you get permission, make sure you ask before doing anything!!
If you wanna bring a friend, ask permission.
If you want to put up a tree stand or a blind, as first.
If you wanna bait, ask first.
Dont drive into feilds untile you ask!! Farmers may have fields planted, or they may be to soft, getting you stuck, and the farmer mad!!

Dont forget to ask if he cares what you take. Some farmers request i only take bucks that are 8pt or bigger. Some want all does shot. Some are very particular about someone shooting "button bucks".

Once you have permission, scout the land, put up your cams if you have any, and the rest is pretty easy. Enter early, leave late, and between, sit quite.

Alot of the tricks will come with experiance.
(for example, I stay sitting while all the other hunters usually go in for lunch. While they get up to leave the woods, they spook deer.)

I also sit early and late, and tend to push any "extra land" (where i dont sit) during the day, because deer will tend to sleep during the day, thus forcing you to almost literally step right on them to jump them up.

I could go on for days, with hints and tricks. You'll learn. There is alot to it if you want to be successful, and get nice deer.

remingtondude58
03-20-2008, 09:25 PM
private land is great if you can find it. if not stateland is always a option(not as good of one as private though all the time). if you can find a peice of state land unused by other hunters it might be just as good if not better as private land (but a good peice is not easy to find it seems like alot of them are already full of hunters.

gjgalligan
03-21-2008, 08:16 AM
As far as public land goes I gave up hunting in the LP years ago as there are just too many other hunters.
I go to the UP and I prefer the later part of the season.

country_boy
03-24-2008, 10:34 PM
last time i went on public land, there was so much orange, it looked like a pumpkin patch. I left, but my friend stayed. ONE deer, a doe, came by, and he said everyone opened fire at this. So even if you got a deer, you would have to argue over it. NOT TO MENTION, you wont be certain that every other hunter on public land:

A) knows where you are
B) is wearing orange

Public Land=not safe

blazingangel01
03-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Thank you all for the tips I think I will take the class and then Find a farmer with a Deer problem, then get some meat. The only problem is the Girlfriend.

country_boy
03-24-2008, 11:00 PM
lol.....take her with you. Ive seen alot of girls who thought they would HATE hunting. Turns out, they love it. Just remind her that if it werent for hunting, deer would do tons of damage. Destroy crops. Not to mention the # of car-deer accidents would be through the roof. and disease would run rampant among them. Deer would be dying off everywhere, there would be deer born with defects, ect, ect. Its all part of the CIRCLE OF LIFE...lol...make her watch lion King. they describe it perfectly....lol

blazingangel01
03-24-2008, 11:17 PM
I will try but this is what she says "you can only hunt a Deer that is a Great Great Grandfather that will dying of natural cause. I cant shoot a would be father or a Son of a mother and father.You will not hurt a baby Deer, little Robbers(Raccoon), Squirrel(I did when I was 12 she still gets mad if I bring it up), Little Bears(I would like to hunt Black bear some day),Penguins(I know ), Arctic Geese, Panda's, Rabbits and others." Let's put it this way she burst out in tears When we pass any form of Road Kill. She is Die hard Animal lover and Tree hugger.

Leader
03-25-2008, 11:26 AM
last time i went on public land, there was so much orange, it looked like a pumpkin patch. I left, but my friend stayed. ONE deer, a doe, came by, and he said everyone opened fire at this. So even if you got a deer, you would have to argue over it. NOT TO MENTION, you wont be certain that every other hunter on public land:

A) knows where you are
B) is wearing orange

Public Land=not safe

Of the 500,000 plus deer hunters we have in MI., MOST of them hunt SAFELY on public land.
Most of the deaths during deer season are hunters falling out of tree stands & heart attacks. Actually I think you will find we have more deaths in the city of Detroit during Nov. then we do in the deer woods.
We have hundreds of thousands of acres available to hunt on and I am sure you can find a spot if you look.
ALL but the very last deer I have shot has been on public land. In the last 45+ yrs I have never been shot while hunting.

country_boy
03-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Of the 500,000 plus deer hunters we have in MI., MOST of them hunt SAFELY on public land.

Tell that to the ONE person who may have been shot by the hunter who sound shoots. i know alot of them. It becomes a personal choice wether you feel safe on public land. But you wont see me there. Is it really worth the depending on someone else, whom you dont know? Take the time, find some private land.

Saying MOST are SAFE is like saying MAYBE i wont be shot.

remingtondude58
03-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Of the 500,000 plus deer hunters we have in MI., MOST of them hunt SAFELY on public land. We have hundreds of thousands of acres available to hunt on and I am sure you can find a spot if you look.

We have a lot of acres available in Michigan but it seem that everyone goes to the same little piece of land. If you have ever hunted the waterloo recreation area state game area in Jackson county you probably know what i am talking about.