PDA

View Full Version : DEFEND YOUR RIGHT TO HUNT, FISH and TRAP

Tallbear
04-19-2013, 01:29 PM
We have one chance to defend the right to hunt, fish and trap from out-of-state anti-hunters for good.

Scientific Wildlife Management legislation will make sure that game management decisions are made by sound science, not ballot-box biology. If we don't take advantage of this opportunity now, they'll come back to our state again and again to attack your rights to hunt, fish and trap, one by one.

Call your state representative right now (http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MichiganUnitedConser/489f203a39/a1ff9884d1/2e12aaf7f4) and tell him or her to support House Bills 4552 & 4553 and Senate Bills 288 & 289!

Just yesterday, hundreds of hunters, anglers and trappers rallied at Camo at the Capitol and met with legislators. Their message to us? They need to hear from you! It only takes a minute, but it will defend your rights for a lifetime - Please call now! (http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MichiganUnitedConser/489f203a39/a1ff9884d1/dd271d00d3)

If you don't know your representative, click here to find out and call. (http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MichiganUnitedConser/489f203a39/a1ff9884d1/515bc61f0e) Thank you!

Yours in Conservation,

The MUCC Policy Team
Drew YoungeDyke, Grassroots Manager
Kent Wood, Legislative Affairs Manager
Amy Trotter, Resource Policy Manager

Tallbear
05-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Bills Protecting Rights to Hunt, Fish and Trap Head to Governor

For the last few weeks, you and your fellow hunters, anglers and trappers have flooded the phone lines and inboxes of your legislators, telling them you want Michigan's wildlife to be managed using sound science and our rights to be protected by passing Senate Bills 288 and 289. Many of you even asked them in person at Camo at the Capitol. They listened!

After passing the Senate last week, the Michigan House of Representatives passed the bills today by a vote of 72-38 with bipartisan support! The bills now head to Governor Snyder's desk, and the anti-hunters are trying to get him to veto the legislation. Please call Governor Snyder's office right now and ask him to sign SB 288 and 289 immediately!

Call Governor Snyder now at (517) 373-3400!

SB 288 and 289 allow the Natural Resources Commission to name game species and make fisheries orders under their mandate to use sound science, which over 68% of Michiganders voted for through 1996's Proposal G. They also provide free hunting and fishing licenses to active-duty members of our military, and establish a right to hunt and fish in state law.

These bills also mean that out-of-state anti-hunters will no longer be able to restrict hunting rights using 30-second commercials and endless ballot referendums. Wildlife decisions will finally be made based on sound science, just as you voted for with Proposal G!

We're almost there. Don't let this opportunity slip away! Call Governor Snyder right now at (517) 373-3400 and ask him to sign SB 288 and 289 immediately!

Yours in Conservation,

The MUCC Policy Team

sse
05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Anybody have the scuttlebutt...? Is Snyder gonna sign it...???

cmr19xx
05-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Anybody have the scuttlebutt...? Is Snyder gonna sign it...???

I would hope so. Unfortunately, the appropriations have been removed from the bill though.

Timbo
05-03-2013, 07:02 AM
I called yesterday, took 1 minute of my time.

Call Governor Snyder now at (517) 373-3400!

Tallbear
05-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Governor Signs Bills Protecting Rights to Hunt, Fish and Trap

You called, you emailed, and many of you even attended Camo at the Capitol to tell Governor Snyder and your legislators that you wanted them to support Senate Bills 288 and 289. Today, Governor Snyder signed both bills, ensuring that Michigan's wildlife will be managed with sound science and protecting our rights to hunt, fish and trap!

The bills are effective immediately, and do the following:

Allow the Natural Resources Commission to name game species;
Grant the Natural Resources Commission exclusive authority over fisheries orders, as it currently has with game orders;
Provide free licenses to active-duty members of the military; and
Establish a right to hunt and fish in Michigan statute. It wasn't easy. Out-of-state groups like Humane Society of the United States flooded Gov. Snyder's phone lines urging him to veto the bills and spent hundreds of thousands in television ads attacking the bills. You stepped up when you had to, though, and called Governor Snyder, too! And he listened, agreeing that Michigan wildlife should be managed with sound science, not television ads funded by out-of-state special interests.

Thank you for taking the time to call, write, and drive to the Capitol! Please take a moment to thank Governor Snyder and your legislators for listening, too. You can call Governor Snyder at 517-373-3400. To see how your legislators voted, click here (http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MichiganUnitedConser/5b1475abee/a1ff9884d1/dcebe17c81/ID=158310), and to look up their phone numbers to thank them, click here (http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MichiganUnitedConser/5b1475abee/a1ff9884d1/f89665a93c/page=legislators). Some of your legislators took tough votes on this bill to protect our rights, so it's important that we thank them!

This is perhaps the biggest conservation victory since Proposal G, and it wouldn't have happened without Michigan's hunters, anglers and trappers calling your friends, neighbors, legislators and Governor. Thank you!

Yours in Conservation,

The MUCC Policy Team

sourdough44
05-09-2013, 05:27 AM
I like it. Of course the anti's will have their panties in a wad over this, fine by me. They use every & any angle they can to stop legal wolf control, we should be doing the same on our side.

lwout65
05-09-2013, 06:08 AM
I like it. Of course the anti's will have their panties in a wad over this, fine by me. They use every & any angle they can to stop legal wolf control, we should be doing the same on our side.

I certainly hope so i also hope it cuts off circulation so they can no longer breed.

Good to know the calls and emails did not go unanswered i never know what to expect from Snyder.

Roundballer
05-09-2013, 09:55 AM
If you want to know how the opposition "feels" about it, just read the comments below information in Tallbear's first link.

Check your blood pressure meds first, the stupid is so thick it hurts. They are blaming the passage on "special interest groups" (us) and using all of the terms, "tyranny", etc...

Tallbear
05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 8, 2013

Safari Club International Thanks Governor Snyder For Protecting Hunting, Fishing Rights in Michigan

Washington, DC – Governor Rick Snyder (Mich.) signed Senate Bills 288 and 289 into law today at a ceremony attended by many Safari Club International members. The new laws 1) state that the Natural Resources Commission has the authority to designate game species and 2) protect the right to hunt and fish. SCI’s Michigan Chapters, along with other sporting organizations in Michigan, advocated for final passage of both of these bills during this legislative session.

“The out-of-state forces, like the Humane Society of the United States, had attempted to undercut the authority of biologists and professional wildlife managers with their elaborate campaign to prevent hunting in the state of Michigan,” said SCI President John Whipple. “I am very proud of SCI’s Michigan Chapters for their continued efforts to advocate for hunting and conservation in their state. I would like to personally thank Gov. Snyder and every elected official who supported S.B. 288 and 289.”

S.B. 288 extends the Natural Resources Commission (NRC)’s authority and sound science mandate to naming animals to the game species list. At the same time the bill retains the Legislature’s authority to do the same as well as its exclusive authority to remove game species from the list. S.B. 288 also grants the NRC the exclusive authority to issue fisheries orders, which currently rests with the director of the Department of Natural Resources, and also provides free licenses to active-duty members of the military. S.B. 289 establishes the rights to hunt and fish in state law, and makes protection of those rights a purpose of Michigan’s Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act.

“Without the grassroots backing of all those who support hunting, and those that understand the valuable role hunting plays in wildlife conservation and management, this important legislation would never have passed. Every hunter that called their elected official should be proud of sharing in the success of S.B. 288 and 289,” concluded Whipple.
Conservation groups herald the bills as an extension of voter-approved Proposal G of 1996, which granted the Natural Resources Commission exclusive authority over game management and required it to use sound science in its wildlife management decisions.

sse
05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
I wonder if a dove season could be considered, now that this has passed.

Walther
05-09-2013, 02:56 PM
I wonder if a dove season could be considered, now that this has passed.

Doves were exempted, I believe.

sse
05-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Was wondering that myself. Since this new law discusses all species, I'm thinking it wouldn't take much to overturn the other law. Might even take care of it automatically.
Have not read the law as passed, but that's what I was thinking.

Walther
05-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Changed my post after I read a bit more. There were two things removed, one was the dove, and the other was a $1,000,000.00 funding proposal that would've made it referendum proof. Sounds like it could still be brought forward for a vote if they get enough signatures, and they will.

cmr19xx
05-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Changed my post after I read a bit more. There were two things removed, one was the dove, and the other was a $1,000,000.00 funding proposal that would've made it referendum proof. Sounds like it could still be brought forward for a vote if they get enough signatures, and they will.

Yep. I suspect this fight isn't over.

sse
05-09-2013, 06:38 PM
That was quick...

http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/MIDNR-7a4613

Walther
05-09-2013, 08:21 PM
So, next steps:

Someone challenges it in court and the court rules in their favor. The DNR appeals, the appeals court overturns, and it goes up the ladder. They'll find a way to keep the hunt from happening until they can get it on a ballot.

Yeah, I'm a cynic.

sse
05-10-2013, 12:14 PM
If all that is true, not sure what is the point of the legislation...

Huntergreen
05-22-2013, 09:47 AM
$100 for a wolf license?

That seems prohibitive.

The one local fellow has good luck trapping coyotes with traps in baited buckets.

On a side note:
Heard the first whip-poor-will of the year last night.
Wonderful sound to hear just before sleeping.