PDA

View Full Version : ar 15

ro2
03-01-2008, 09:57 PM
I will be buying my first ar can someone tell me what is the button on the side of the rifle ejection port side, whats it called and what is the function(button direcly below charging handle)

karcent
03-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Forward assist.
It is used to push the bolt into battery if it should happen to stay open slightly.

Donzie
03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
that is the forward assist plunger. its used to ram the bolt home if there is an obstruction.

ro2
03-01-2008, 10:36 PM
thank you very much! I was on the right track was just looking for exact terminology and funtion just to be sure.:banana:

ltdave
03-02-2008, 04:51 PM
there is thought about this though...

if the round is deformed, the chamber dirty or has some other obstruction, do you REALLY want to jam the round in?

d

HK USP
03-02-2008, 05:42 PM
My youngest daughter finished Aemy basic back in November and the M-16 that they used did not have this feature, and her primary complaint was shoot 3 rounds and clear the jam. This use to be a primary complaint of this weapon platform which seems to be somewhat ironed out in the M-4's, at least mine has shot flawlessly.

My big gripe was the two ton trigger pull (actually a 9 pound creeper) N I just installed a Rock River two stage for a clean 3 pound break. As soon as the weather breaks (I don't do cold any more) I plan on a day at the farm range to see if this old man can shoot it any better now.

karcent
03-02-2008, 06:40 PM

if the round is deformed, the chamber dirty or has some other obstruction, do you REALLY want to jam the round in?

d

Carrying it to extremes, if the charging handle happens to be broken at that moment you would have no other choice.

I've never used the forward assist on an AR and would only be tempted under extreme circumstances.

Donzie
03-02-2008, 07:45 PM
I have had a mis feed jam me up once. i could not get the extractor to grab the case until used the forward assist.:fur3: I found out that when the bullet was seated it crinkled the neck and shoulder.

Brian
03-02-2008, 11:28 PM

d

It depends on who's breathing down your throat trying to shoot you. It's like your spare tire and a carry gun, you hope you never need either one but when you do you better have one.

dmharvey
03-03-2008, 08:00 PM
What was your daughter firing in basic? I've been in for over 8 years now and every M16/M4 I've seen has a forward assist.

S lap the magazine
P ull the charging handle
O bserve the chamber
R elease the charging handle
T ap the forward assist
S hoot

I think they still preach that method for clearing a jam in basic...:army:

My youngest daughter finished Aemy basic back in November and the M-16 that they used did not have this feature, and her primary complaint was shoot 3 rounds and clear the jam. This use to be a primary complaint of this weapon platform which seems to be somewhat ironed out in the M-4's, at least mine has shot flawlessly.

My big gripe was the two ton trigger pull (actually a 9 pound creeper) N I just installed a Rock River two stage for a clean 3 pound break. As soon as the weather breaks (I don't do cold any more) I plan on a day at the farm range to see if this old man can shoot it any better now.

HK USP
03-04-2008, 01:48 PM
She did her basic at Fort Jackson SC, N her training weapon was a M16 WO full auto enabled but did have the 3 round burst fire setting, N she said it did not have the forward assist and was very jam prone, I think they may have done that to hammer home clearance drills.
I observed the people around there (they had to carry their weapon every place they went) N I did not notice it on the ones I saw.

But... (mark me jealous) she did get some good time with a SAW and an .50 BMG.