PDA

View Full Version : Safe location

brotheryang
05-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Does anyone keep their safe in the basement? Isn't the humidity in a basement a problem? I don't have a dehumidifier in mine, is that something that would have to be purchased if I wanted to keep a safe down there? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

lwout65
05-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Does anyone keep their safe in the basement? Isn't the humidity in a basement a problem? I don't have a dehumidifier in mine, is that something that would have to be purchased if I wanted to keep a safe down there? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I keep mine in the basement... i would defiantly get a dehumidifier for it the holes should already be there just plugged. They don't cost much and will save you allot of grief.

brotheryang
05-22-2013, 04:39 PM
I keep mine in the basement... i would defiantly get a dehumidifier for it the holes should already be there just plugged. They don't cost much and will save you allot of grief.
Are you talking about a safe dehumidifier? I was talking about one for the basement. Sorry, I clearly don't know a lot about this, lol. What is a good safe dehumidifier, and I am not familiar with what you are referring to. Does it hook up to holes that are in the safe? Is this something all makes have? Thanks again for any help.

lwout65
05-22-2013, 04:54 PM
I was talking about a safe dehumidifier normally there will be a couple holes drilled towards the bottom with plastic plugs covering them to run a cord or two through.

Pop out the plug run the cord out and plug it in they do not get overly hot just enough to keep the humility down will not damage or burn anything they touch in fact you can just pick them up by hand no problem.

I use a dri rod in mine here a couple options on this page i have had it for a couple years now and had no issues. Prices here are not so bad either dunno about shipping.There are a ton of other options just Google ( safe dehumidifier )

http://www.deansafe.com/gun-safe-dehumidifiers.html

Imshootin
05-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Two other issues with putting a safe in a basement. Sewer backups and a house fire.
I've waded through basements with a couple feet of water in them when city sewers have backed up into basements during my drain cleaning days and when fighting a fire, we've filled up a few basements pretty deep as well. If I put one in a basement I would want to build a cement platform at least 6" off the floor to put it on if I had the headroom. Might make the difference between a safe full of wet buttstocks or a safe full of dry guns.

JK001
05-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Are you talking about a safe dehumidifier? I was talking about one for the basement. Sorry, I clearly don't know a lot about this, lol. What is a good safe dehumidifier, and I am not familiar with what you are referring to. Does it hook up to holes that are in the safe? Is this something all makes have? Thanks again for any help.
Still not a bad idea for a basement dehumidifier especially if you don't have central air or don't run it all the time at 72 degrees.

brotheryang
05-22-2013, 09:05 PM
I was talking about a safe dehumidifier normally there will be a couple holes drilled towards the bottom with plastic plugs covering them to run a cord or two through.

Pop out the plug run the cord out and plug it in they do not get overly hot just enough to keep the humility down will not damage or burn anything they touch in fact you can just pick them up by hand no problem.

I use a dri rod in mine here a couple options on this page i have had it for a couple years now and had no issues. Prices here are not so bad either dunno about shipping.There are a ton of other options just Google ( safe dehumidifier )

http://www.deansafe.com/gun-safe-dehumidifiers.html
Thank you, very helpful.

brotheryang
05-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Two other issues with putting a safe in a basement. Sewer backups and a house fire.
I've waded through basements with a couple feet of water in them when city sewers have backed up into basements during my drain cleaning days and when fighting a fire, we've filled up a few basements pretty deep as well. If I put one in a basement I would want to build a cement platform at least 6" off the floor to put it on if I had the headroom. Might make the difference between a safe full of wet buttstocks or a safe full of dry guns.
And thanks for your input, also. If I put it down there, that is a good idea.

lwout65
05-22-2013, 09:29 PM

This is a good idea i have been thinking about this allot myself possibly stacking a couple thick cement slabs and a thick rubber pad in between and drilling through them and into the floor.

It might cost me more for the beer and Jack Daniels then the materials to talk my buds into helping me again lol.

brotheryang
05-22-2013, 09:35 PM
This is a good idea i have been thinking about this allot myself possibly stacking a couple thick cement slabs and a thick rubber pad in between and drilling through them and into the floor.

It might cost me more for the beer and Jack Daniels then the materials to talk my buds into helping me again lol.
Lol. I was thinking cinder blocks with maybe wood cut to size on top of them to distribute the weight evenly. Then I can just get my son to help for some date money!

Donzie
05-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Good points. Just to add, in the event of a house fire, the guns are most often better off submerged than not. The smoke will damage the finish of blued and stainless guns within a couple hours.

hemmingsenm
05-24-2013, 09:42 AM
I have mine in the basement with a dehumidfier rod. My safe came prewired so I just plug it in. Also my safe came with a computer plug that way if you want you could put a storage device in it and sent info to it for safe storage. The idea of putting it up on blocks is a good idea in fact one insurance company dedicated to guns requires it in a basement locations. Mine was not that heavy, 600 lbs, but I hired a company to move it to the basement. The best $150 I ever spent.

dartsinsa
05-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Basement here also.
I poured a 4' pedestal in the corner, and have it sitting on a thin rubber mat and bolted down. It weighs about 850# empty.
I use about a dozen of those small humidity packs (got a bunch of them for nothing a while back) and it stays about 50-60% RH. I really don't know what optimum is, but I keep things wiped down with a silicone cloth and have never seen the first signs of rust or any other problems.

SIR SHOT A BIT
06-09-2013, 12:36 AM
I knew mine was going down there so I upgraded to a fire/waterproof. Made sense to the wife too. I have a dehumidifier in the basement, central air, also put a cartrige for a refrigeration system called a liquid line drier inside. The relative humidity indicater in my safe starts climbing when the door is opened.
I also built a dolly with six casters so it would be off the floor and I could move it if needed.

autosurgeon
06-14-2013, 09:29 PM
I knew mine was going down there so I upgraded to a fire/waterproof. Made sense to the wife too. I have a dehumidifier in the basement, central air, also put a cartrige for a refrigeration system called a liquid line drier inside. The relative humidity indicater in my safe starts climbing when the door is opened.
I also built a dolly with six casters so it would be off the floor and I could move it if needed.

So can the criminals....

SIR SHOT A BIT
06-16-2013, 09:33 PM
So can the criminals....
If they can get it up the stairs, across the basement floor would be easy enough with or without wheels.

RUG3Rfan
06-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I too have mine in the basement. I run a dehumidifier in the basement and one in the safe. Never thought about flooding. Ill have to look into that.

autosurgeon
06-20-2013, 11:40 AM
If they can get it up the stairs, across the basement floor would be easy enough with or without wheels.

Mine they will have to cut it has 4 3/4 inch stainless anchor studs like what are used for automotive lifts holding it down.

Triton20
06-28-2013, 07:38 AM
I have mine in the basement in a room with a dehumidifier. I have been thinking about putting the rod inside the safe, but haven't really needed to as of yet.

Thrindle
07-05-2013, 11:18 AM
I keep mine in the basement, bolted to the floor. I keep a box of silica gel in it to absorb moisture and keep the humidity down. I have to bake the silica gel every 2-3 months to keep the gel dry, and it's worked fine. I inspect all my guns at least once a year and I've never had any rust.

mikezalewski
07-07-2013, 07:39 PM
does this mean that you are keeping all of your weapons in the basement because i personally would want to have my safe in my closet in my bedroom. yes this is where most thiefs would look but if it is a big enough safe there is not really much they would be able to do other thank look at it!

bolonytony24
07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
basement is ok. i personnaly use desiccant pellets to keep things dry inside. its a drying agent that will remove the moisture. similar to the silica gel packs you get with many goods to keep dry in the packaging. this allowed me to keep dry and not put any holes in the safe.

RogueLeader
07-07-2013, 07:54 PM
does this mean that you are keeping all of your weapons in the basement because i personally would want to have my safe in my closet in my bedroom. yes this is where most thiefs would look but if it is a big enough safe there is not really much they would be able to do other thank look at it!

You would be surprised. My safe is supposedly 800 lbs, but I have been able to move it around by myself. Granted, not very fast, but I could do it by myself. Two or three guys could take it if they want to.

Where ever you put it, anchor it, and the more points the better. But, if your anchor points are on interior walls, then can get to those from backside, so you may want to add reinforcements to slow them down.

bolonytony24
07-07-2013, 07:54 PM
not all makes have them and they require power in some form or another. plug in units would require holes in safe. they also sell battery powered ones. you can buy the dry canisters that work well and no need for power or batteries. the pellets need no power but eventually would need to be replaced. good luck

bolonytony24
07-07-2013, 08:07 PM
if its a big enough safe it would probably not fit in your closet? if it fits in your closet a couple of guys with a fridge dolly could probably wheel it out easily. nice to lag them down to concrete and a 6" pad on the basement floor is a good idea. if its a heavy enough for no one to move it then it should be on cement anyway.

Thrindle
07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
I have other, smaller safes in strategic locations around my house for self defense purposes. But my main safe is in the basement with my non-tactical guns, important paperwork, etc.

cmr19xx
07-08-2013, 03:48 PM
I've had my safe in the basement for years. I have AC and a dehumidifier running in the spring and summer. The dehumidifier is in the same room, but not in the safe. I've never had any issues with my guns or ammo. All my guns get cleaned at least a couple of times a year. Ammo gets rotated (oldest used first), but I've shot ammo that's been in my basement for 2-3 years without any issues.

If there's a fire, I'd rather have my safe in the basement than falling through two floors in my house like it would if it was in my bedroom.

RobDog
04-04-2014, 08:53 PM

Would a simple rubber seal around the door to safe surface help to keep the interior of the safe dry if there was a a build up of water in the basement? I'm picturing something like what is used on car doors. Compressed when the door is closed.

Daniel44114
07-25-2019, 12:38 PM
It depends... what's your primary reason for the safe?

Is it to meet the storage requirement in MA?

Is it to protect from kids getting access?

Is it to protect from theft?

Is it to protect from fire?

Natty Bumpo
03-27-2021, 04:54 AM
I have stored firearms in the safe in basements in three houses, so far. Have always used desiccant boxes/bags and renewed them periodically. Never had a spec of rust on any of them. Those houses have all been well climate controlled, however.

mitommy
03-29-2021, 01:47 AM
My safe is in the basement. I have one of those rechargeable dehumidifiers and a golden rod. Humidity has never been a problem. I was also concerned about water in the basement, even though I’ve never had any water. I have my safe raised on 3 pieces of 2 x 6. I figure 4.5” of water I’d the whole basement would be a Lot.

Another thought / recommendation: I have it against a wall and bolted to the floor. When I bolted it down, I drilled all the way thru the floor. The anchor bolts catch just fine, but if I ever need to move the safe, I can just drive the bolts down thru the floor. (That’s the way many machines are mounted to the floor of factories).

erict
03-29-2021, 09:01 PM
My safe is in the basement. I have one of those rechargeable dehumidifiers and a golden rod. Humidity has never been a problem. I was also concerned about water in the basement, even though I’ve never had any water. I have my safe raised on 3 pieces of 2 x 6. I figure 4.5” of water I’d the whole basement would be a Lot.

Another thought / recommendation: I have it against a wall and bolted to the floor. When I bolted it down, I drilled all the way thru the floor. The anchor bolts catch just fine, but if I ever need to move the safe, I can just drive the bolts down thru the floor. (That’s the way many machines are mounted to the floor of factories).

And if possible, put it in a corner with door opening facing wall. Harder to pry open in that scenario.

mittenman
04-05-2021, 06:30 PM
There’s some advantages to a safe in the basement assuming humidity is controlled but one potentially big drawback is if you insure your guns some insurers require that they not be stored in a basement. That’s something to definitely consider and if insured to check on first.

dice
04-05-2021, 06:36 PM
The OP was from 2013. If he hasn't figured it out by now, I doubt he ever will.

Dice

mittenman
04-05-2021, 06:47 PM
The OP was from 2013. If he hasn't figured it out by now, I doubt he ever will.

Dice
LOL Good catch. I didn’t read back past this page before posting.

Roundballer
04-05-2021, 07:32 PM
LOL Good catch. I didn’t read back past this page before posting.

Page length is a variable that can be set in the user cp. I have it set to 40 (ie, 40 posts per page). The OP is still on this page. IIRC, the default is 10 posts per page.

mittenman
04-05-2021, 08:33 PM
Page length is a variable that can be set in the user cp. I have it set to 40 (ie, 40 posts per page). The OP is still on this page. IIRC, the default is 10 posts per page.

I didn’t realize that page length could be set by the user. 10 post per page always seemed a little short to me.

Roundballer
04-06-2021, 02:14 PM
I didn’t realize that page length could be set by the user. 10 post per page always seemed a little short to me.

Then you probably also didn't notice that the OP is banned.

Blue XJ
04-06-2021, 04:00 PM
For those of you using desicant packs, such as myself, these are only $1 at my local dollar store and hold at least a cups worth of water. I replace it about every 4 months or so.