PDA

View Full Version : HB 4774, 4775, 4776 background check for all firearm purchases

Tallbear
05-29-2013, 09:57 AM
HB 4774 of 2013 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2013-HB-4774)
Weapons; firearms; license or background check for purchase of firearms; require. Amends secs. 2, 2a, 2b, 12 & 14a of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422 et seq.).
Last Action: 5/28/2013 referred to Committee on Judiciary
HB 4775 of 2013 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2013-HB-4775)
Weapons; firearms; references in sentencing guidelines; update. Amends secs. 11b & 16m, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 777.11b & 777.16m). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4774'13
HB 4776 of 2013 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2013-HB-4776)
Weapons; firearms; references to pistol in penal code; update. Amends secs. 223 & 232a of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.223 & 750.232a). TIE BAR WITH: HB 4774'13

45/70fan
05-29-2013, 12:01 PM
What part of,"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." is not understood?

spartywrx
05-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Here it comes.

This is why we needed to kill off any pistol licenses, but we didn't.

I would suggest using the MGO email system to broadcast out information in this bill ala NRA action alerts.

1911lover
05-30-2013, 05:53 AM
What part of,"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." is not understood?

Not only do those morons not understand it by design, but they would be very happy to do away entirely with the Second Amendment. IMO they are all traitors and have violated their Oath of Office. Liberalism is a mental disease.

SADAacp
05-30-2013, 06:58 AM
What about the, quite possibly, hundreds of thousands of out-of-state hunters, sport shooting folks, etc, (SEE HB 4774, Subsection 8 ) every year where only a few other states require registration for firearms, both pistol and long guns?

langenc
05-30-2013, 10:38 AM
We understand the 2A but it dont seem that they understand the State Constitution. Each needs to be reminded of that statement.

I didnt recgonize any of the names. I gues since all (D)s they are from the big 3 counties.

Divegeek
05-30-2013, 01:46 PM
From reading the bill, it seems a mess. If you purchase any firearm (pistol or long gun) from a FFL you still have to do the NICS check like normal, but then they fill out an RI60 and you send it off to the police. If you purchase face to face, you must get a purchase permit, and return a portion of the card to the police. Simple enough so far, not that I like it but simple.

Where I see a big hole is that it says if the firearm is a pistol the information is entered into the registry as it is now. My question is what do they do with the long gun info? The bill doesn't specify what to do with it. So some agencies would just throw it away, while I'm sure some of them will start their own quasi-legal long gun registry.

Chances are this won't go anywhere as things now stand, but we need to keep an eye on this and make our voices heard in Lansing.

Roundballer
05-30-2013, 03:12 PM
From reading the bill, it seems a mess. If you purchase any firearm (pistol or long gun) from a FFL you still have to do the NICS check like normal, but then they fill out an RI60 and you send it off to the police. If you purchase face to face, you must get a purchase permit, and return a portion of the card to the police. Simple enough so far, not that I like it but simple.

Where I see a big hole is that it says if the firearm is a pistol the information is entered into the registry as it is now. My question is what do they do with the long gun info? The bill doesn't specify what to do with it. So some agencies would just throw it away, while I'm sure some of them will start their own quasi-legal long gun registry.

Chances are this won't go anywhere as things now stand, but we need to keep an eye on this and make our voices heard in Lansing.
You are missing the point. The requirement is to have the background check, after the purchase of the long arm, there is no responsibility to turn in the form.

If the firearm is a pistol, the purchaser shall return 1 copy of the license to the licensing authority within 10 days after the date the pistol is purchased or acquired. The return of the copy to the licensing authority may be made in person or may be made by first-class mail or certified mail sent within the 10-day period to the proper address of the licensing authority. A purchaser who fails to comply with the requirements of this subsection is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $250.00. If a purchaser is found responsible for a state civil infraction under this subsection, the court shall notify the department of state police of that determination.
This is just about unenforceable for a FTF private sale. They can make it the law, but have no way of tracking if a long arm was brought into the state or if it was sold to the guy down the street, before or after the law is enacted.

When they realize that this is just stupid, they will either drop it or make it truly draconian.

ETA:
It will put a big hurt on out of state hunters coming to Michigan. There are few states that have a license for a long gun, so they would need to figure something out to meet the law for bringing their guns here to hunt.

Divegeek
05-31-2013, 07:54 AM
I fully understand that they wanted to get a background check done on all firearm sales. I don't like the idea as I said above. And you have 2 great points. It is pretty much unenforceable for face to face long gun transactions, and yes it would pretty much make it so that people from Illinois would be the only out of staters that could bring a rifle in to Michigan.

Roundballer
05-31-2013, 10:28 AM
And you only turn in the form if the purchase is a Pistol, long arms, no.

That is another fail in the proposed law, they have not closed the loop on the paper work. The only way to make this work, as the intended "universal background check" is to have total registration of firearms. Same thing as the Federal level scheme.

MP Miller
06-09-2013, 08:06 PM
I fully understand that they wanted to get a background check done on all firearm sales. I don't like the idea as I said above. And you have 2 great points. It is pretty much unenforceable for face to face long gun transactions, and yes it would pretty much make it so that people from Illinois would be the only out of staters that could bring a rifle in to Michigan.

Yep just like it is for pistols now.

shoxroxice
06-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Hmmm, and nothing nefarious would happen with the firearms data... just like nothing bad could happen by the NSA collecting all of your other internet and phone data.

Pyzik
07-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Here it comes.

This is why we needed to kill off any pistol licenses, but we didn't.

I would suggest using the MGO email system to broadcast out information in this bill ala NRA action alerts.
It'll be going out with the next MGO news letter.

I am also spreading the word to every person I know that is even okay with guns, not just gun owners.

TheQ
07-04-2013, 12:34 PM
It'll be going out with the next MGO news letter.

I am also spreading the word to every person I know that is even okay with guns, not just gun owners.

I would tend to say: don't waste your breath on a Bill that is Dead on Arrival.

Pyzik
07-05-2013, 08:16 AM
I would tend to say: don't waste your breath on a Bill that is Dead on Arrival.
I kind of assumed this would die an early death, but I'd rather be the squeaky wheel than the left.

MCMD357
05-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Did anyone else get an NRA-ILA emergency alert about this bill last night? Specifically HB 4774. I can copy paste the email when I get to work for those that want to read.

Divegeek
05-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Did anyone else get an NRA-ILA emergency alert about this bill last night? Specifically HB 4774. I can copy paste the email when I get to work for those that want to read.

No, I didn't, but apparently a group of anti gunners marched on Lansing yesterday demanding that it be passed. The fact that out has sat on committee for over a year without a heading shows that it is very unlikely that it will pass.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

hendo
05-16-2014, 06:25 PM

I did too, it said to contact those on the judiciary committee.

Copperhead1861
05-17-2014, 07:06 AM
I must have missed the hundreds of untraceable shoulder weapons streaming across the Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Canadian and Wisconsin borders. Our guardians in Lansing must step up to protect the peasants of the sovereign State of Michigan! What harm will it cause to trade a little freedom for greater security? Think of the children!

MCMD357
05-18-2014, 03:07 PM
I DO think of the children, but mostly that they cannot get any .22LR to feed their hungry souls.

appliancebrad
05-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Not going anywhere. It was DOA a year ago. Kind of like the lead fishing sinker ban Chris Kolb introduced every session.

Rootsy
05-20-2014, 07:24 AM
Not going anywhere. It was DOA a year ago. Kind of like the lead fishing sinker ban Chris Kolb introduced every session.

Brad, If you get elected (and I truly hope you do) I have a wooden stick for you. That way you can beat the stupidity out of some of these people. Being a politician has to be one of the most frustrating endeavors on earth.

MCMD357
05-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Brad, If you get elected (and I truly hope you do) I have a wooden stick for you. That way you can beat the stupidity out of some of these people.

+1

I'd vote and volunteer for a politician that held other politicians accountable to their duties to the People. Especially if he accomplished said goal with a large stick.