PDA

View Full Version : MGO/MCRGO/MOC BBQ in Ingham County July 20th

Barrettone
06-01-2013, 05:27 PM
MCRGO/MOC/MGO 2nd Amendment BBQ in Ingham County
MCRGO/MOC/MGO
Saturday, July 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM (EDT)
Holt, MI

MOC, MGO, and MCRGO will be providing brats, buns, condiments, plates, napkins, and "pop" (AKA Soda). Please bring a friend or two and a dish to pass, along with your eating own eating utensils.

The lawful open carry (or concealed carry w/ license) of a handgun is encouraged, though not required.

Please bring no alcoholic beverages to the BBQ.

RSVP Here (http://mcrgo-moc-ingham-county-bbq-mgo.eventbrite.com)

Come on out for a good time!!!

Barrettone
06-01-2013, 05:34 PM
I'd like to build these going forward. We had a good turnout at the June event. Come on out and talk guns with some of your fellow 2A supporters!!!

TheQ
06-01-2013, 05:37 PM

Jackam
06-01-2013, 05:41 PM
MCRGO/MOC/MGO 2nd Amendment BBQ in Ingham County

HOW COME MGO ISN'T LISTED FIRST???!!!

Thought I'd prime the pump :)

Glad it was a good time and turnout. Looking fwd to July 20.

themonk41
06-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Please make this a stickey ...

Barrettone
06-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Please make this a stickey ...

Going on the scrolling banner

Magnum Man
06-01-2013, 05:59 PM

LOL, I will be attending this one.

TheQ
06-01-2013, 06:03 PM

LOL. I made the eventbrite page. Those who may have butthurt will note throughout the page I mentioned the groups in differing orders.

zigziggityzoo
06-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Link Fixed. Hope Jeff doesn't get pissed I edited his post.

FLAME SUIT ON

right2bear
06-01-2013, 08:13 PM
RSVP sent out

Barrettone
06-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Link Fixed. Hope Jeff doesn't get pissed I edited his post.

FLAME SUIT ON

Hell no...it's all good in the hood...LOL.

THANKS!!!

Magnum Man
06-02-2013, 05:45 AM
RSVP sent out
What do you have to "sing" up for the newsletter? J/K

Jackam
06-02-2013, 07:37 AM
What do you have to "sing" up for the newsletter? J/K

I met you at the last BOD meeting so I can safely say - it's an octave that you can't reach! Somewhere between alto and soprano! :)

Magnum Man
07-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Who else will be in attendance this Saturday?

right2bear
07-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Who else will be in attendance this Saturday?

I will be there with the banner, trifolds and supplies to sign people up as members!

Magnum Man
07-18-2013, 11:25 AM
I will be there with the banner, trifolds and supplies to sign people up as members!
Outstanding!! :thumbup: :salute:

Cocowheats
07-19-2013, 04:41 PM
I tried to RSVP awhile back but never got my tickets via email....I think my phone is the culprit but I'm not sure....So, TheQ, I'm the guy that emailed you about needing tickets still.

Regardless, I'll be their....even if I can't have a hotdog;).

TireFryer
07-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Sent an email to event organizer about coming to the picnic, but have not received an email back. I will be there with 3 kids (4 total) with a dish to pass... Even if we don't get a hotdog ;)

Thanks

right2bear
07-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Well... Where were all the MGO people at today? I only counted 2 besides myself.

TireFryer
07-20-2013, 10:12 PM
I was there with my 3 kiddos... The ones chasing the Siamese kitten and begging me to take her home!
Good to meet some peeps and chat. One thing to consider for next time - perhaps have name tags with our "forum names" as we'll as real names so people can connect the dots ;) looking forward to the next one.
Thanks to all who put the time and effort into organizing this.

Jackam
07-20-2013, 11:03 PM
One thing to consider for next time - perhaps have name tags with our "forum names" as we'll as real names so people can connect the dots.

I'd have to use someone else's name. Too much chance of being shot at! :)

I do believe this is a great idea though. At the last BOD meeting that I was at, I didn't know anyone. I saw Magnum Man with a name tag and thought that was a very nice touch!

TireFryer
07-20-2013, 11:17 PM
WILX News10 coverage:

http://www.wilx.com/topstories/headlines/Gun-Groups-Push-Rights-at-BBQ-216304051.html?device=tablet

SeeTee
07-21-2013, 01:07 AM
WILX News10 coverage:

http://www.wilx.com/topstories/headlines/Gun-Groups-Push-Rights-at-BBQ-216304051.html?device=tablet

Fair coverage as far as the video clip showed, Good job everybody! and MGO's own Charles got in on the tv segment too!

"I'd have to use someone else's name. Too much chance of being shot at! :smile:

I do believe this is a great idea though. At the last BOD meeting that I was at, I didn't know anyone. I saw Magnum Man with a name tag and thought that was a very nice touch!"

See that is the thing Jack, too many people don't want to admit who they are at meetings :laughing: the blue name tag tape is at every event! too few use it!

Now for the meeting next week, I'll have nice bright white name tags, so when you write your name on it it will stand out nicely! :poke:

MGO really needs to get those target T-shirts for the BOD and Forum staff :hide:

Jackam
07-21-2013, 08:52 AM
MGO's own Charles got in on the tv segment too!

Isn't he the guy that has recently stated "The dumbest people always get on tv..."

:laugh:

right2bear
07-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Isn't he the guy that has recently stated "The dumbest people always get on tv..."

:laugh:

Indeed:silly:

Jackam
07-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Charles -
I'm glad you were there. Wished I was.
Tell me about your day, if you don't mind. I'm trying to wrap my head around how this works.
You show up and know nobody but you all have a something in common. Now mind you, you are pretty pro-active with MGO and I believe you'd be able to talk about that with anyone. Knowing you, you had apps at the ready and maybe a hat or two or something. But for the average joe, he shows up, knows nobody, gets a brat and sits down, maybe makes some small talk with the guy that's kind of near him.... stands around a bit afterward, and then heads on out.

With the MGO meetings, there is the shoot afterward that binds us all - that part I understand (fully) why people would go. I just think the 3 group hot dog cook out would be awkward for the average joe.

What's your thoughts?

TomE
07-21-2013, 10:19 AM
What group had the T-Shirts on the table?

MJ0865
07-21-2013, 11:33 AM
What group had the T-Shirts on the table?
If I remember correctly MCRGO had the green peace team shirts, and Michigan open carry had their nothing to hide shirts.

Magnum Man
07-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Well... Where were all the MGO people at today? I only counted 2 besides myself.
Unfortunately I had to work.:sad:

MJ0865
07-21-2013, 12:06 PM
But for the average joe, he shows up, knows nobody, gets a brat and sits down, maybe makes some small talk with the guy that's kind of near him.... stands around a bit afterward, and then heads on out.
That makes me an average joe.
I was there, but i'm not the most social person. I just stood in the back corner, ate my hot dog, and talked to my friend that came with me. Then we left
I agree that it could be a little awkward at times of you don't know anyone.
But we did get positive media coverage, and that's always a good thing.

dramey82
07-21-2013, 12:18 PM
I was there, but i'm not the most social person. I just stood in the back corner, ate my hot dog, and talked to my friend that came with me. Then we left

I went to a OC picnic a couple years ago, it was the same way, stood around, didn't know anyone and it felt awkward.

Magnum Man
07-21-2013, 05:06 PM
I'd have to use someone else's name. Too much chance of being shot at! :)

I do believe this is a great idea though. At the last BOD meeting that I was at, I didn't know anyone. I saw Magnum Man with a name tag and thought that was a very nice touch!
Thanks, Jack!

Magnum Man
07-21-2013, 05:09 PM
WILX News10 coverage:

For some reason I can't get the video to come up.

Roundballer
07-21-2013, 06:52 PM
For some reason I can't get the video to come up.
Try this one instead:
http://www.wilx.com/topstories/headlines/Gun-Groups-Push-Rights-at-BBQ-216304051.html

He has a limit to device=tablet in his URL. It loads for me using the one I posted, but I can't watch it because it is a streaming video and my connection is not fast enough.

TireFryer
07-22-2013, 07:50 AM
I can understand being awkward for the average person. This was my first time to any MGO or other group event, but introduced myself to a few people and chatted about other stuff other than guns! Bottom line, nice folks, and they way I figure, take the first step to say "Hello, I am _____, nice to meet you. Nice piece you got there... what is it?" That is enough to remove the "awkwardness" and you've got yourself a 30min conversation! :)

Great to meet such a diverse background of people - engineers to veterinarians to financial industry folks to stay-at-home parents to activists.

looking forward to the next group event! :ak:

SeeTee
07-22-2013, 10:22 AM
I can understand being awkward for the average person. This was my first time to any MGO or other group event, but introduced myself to a few people and chatted about other stuff other than guns! Bottom line, nice folks, and they way I figure, take the first step to say "Hello, I am _____, nice to meet you. Nice piece you got there... what is it?" That is enough to remove the "awkwardness" and you've got yourself a 30min conversation! :)

Great to meet such a diverse background of people - engineers to veterinarians to financial industry folks to stay-at-home parents to activists.

looking forward to the next group event! :ak:

That is the way to do it, just jump in, there was a first time at a MGO event for me, people just have to get out of the house and to a event.

About all any group can do is set-up a positive event for people to meet at and have a good time, that way when there is a call for boots on the ground there is a bigger pool of people to draw on who have at least met before and worked off some of the "awkwardness" it makes it easier for people to volunteer.

The next event is the MGO members meeting and picnic this Saturday!

Links to more information in my sig. line.

right2bear
07-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Charles -
I'm glad you were there. Wished I was.
Tell me about your day, if you don't mind. I'm trying to wrap my head around how this works.
You show up and know nobody but you all have a something in common. Now mind you, you are pretty pro-active with MGO and I believe you'd be able to talk about that with anyone. Knowing you, you had apps at the ready and maybe a hat or two or something. But for the average joe, he shows up, knows nobody, gets a brat and sits down, maybe makes some small talk with the guy that's kind of near him.... stands around a bit afterward, and then heads on out.

With the MGO meetings, there is the shoot afterward that binds us all - that part I understand (fully) why people would go. I just think the 3 group hot dog cook out would be awkward for the average joe.

What's your thoughts?

My thoughts...

To be honest, it was very awkward. MGO had very little to no involvement with the planning, and had but only about 3 of us there. I put on a name tag in order to get people to talk with me, but it really didn't work out. I only seen a couple people from MCRGO as well, one of which sat next to me and asked "whats the big difference between MCRGO & MGO". I told him my thoughts and why I believed that both organizations are important to the bigger picture. He seemed to be very happy with my response, and we just chatted guns, politics, and guy stuff from then on.

Fortunately Autosurgeon, helped me out with setting up our banner, and welcoming MGO to the event.

I wish just 1 of MGO's leadership would of made an appearance. I guess they were all just too busy.

For me the best part was meeting MGO member cocowheats, and getting to chat with Amy from MUCC.

I got to put a face to a couple of screen names.

I agree there needs to be something that binds the members. For the MOC guys, it was their annual membership meeting proceeding the picnic.

MGO was the only one without any merchandise to offer, and I only was able to get 2 people to even take a trifold:???:

I don't see myself making that kind of drive again for the multi group picnic. And this is not meant to be at all negative.

right2bear
07-22-2013, 10:54 AM
I was there, but i'm not the most social person. I just stood in the back corner, ate my hot dog, and talked to my friend that came with me.

Are you the one that had on the MGO hat?

I seen someone standing in line for food with one on, when I was done eating and chasing my daughter, I looked to no avail for that guy in the hat.

autosurgeon
07-22-2013, 11:46 AM
MOC has been doing these for a long time so we are fairly good at em. That doesn't mean we are perfect by any means. It was nice chatting with you right2bear!

malinoisman
07-26-2013, 09:52 PM
This was my first event, as i do not belong to any organization i went to be supportive, and to meet new people.

I had a great conversation with several people and was included in the WILX News Program. I was a bit surprised to hear i was in the news...

I would easily do this again next year or sooner....I didnt know anyone i just jumped in feet first..

was a good event..

fozzy71
07-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Scrolling header on the forum needs to be updated to remove this event since it happened last weekend. July 27th even in the header is also done.

TheQ
07-30-2013, 10:57 PM

I talked to many people I've never met before. If you're a wall-flower ....well *shrugs*.

We're having another event in Grayling. Maybe someone with property in the area wants to invite ppl over to shoot. We could advertise it in the announcement. Email me if interested (PHofmeister@miopencarry.org)

TheQ
07-30-2013, 11:00 PM
My thoughts...

To be honest, it was very awkward. MGO had very little to no involvement with the planning, and had but only about 3 of us there.

With Grayling, MGO's leadership has been involved since before the event was ever posted. I hope they will promote it more and encourage members of leadership to make the drive and attend.

As for us in MOC -- we can't make people do anything :(

I hope MGO will take a more active involvement in Grayling.

TheQ
07-30-2013, 11:03 PM
This was my first event, as i do not belong to any organization i went to be supportive, and to meet new people.

I had a great conversation with several people and was included in the WILX News Program. I was a bit surprised to hear i was in the news...

I would easily do this again next year or sooner....I didnt know anyone i just jumped in feet first..

was a good event..

Yes -- yes! It was great meeting you!

This just shows that if you move away from the wall and chat with people, you will have great conversations. Don't wait for folks to come chat with you. Go strike up the conversation.

TomE
07-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Scrolling header on the forum needs to be updated to remove this event since it happened last weekend. July 27th even in the header is also done.

Maybe by next month :score:

Barrettone
07-31-2013, 12:55 PM
With Grayling, MGO's leadership has been involved since before the event was ever posted. I hope they will promote it more and encourage members of leadership to make the drive and attend.

As for us in MOC -- we can't make people do anything :(

I hope MGO will take a more active involvement in Grayling.

Sorry Guys, but I have a job that requires me to work some Saturdays, I coach my sons football teams, and I have a family. I can't be at everything MGO does. I make what I can. If my boss says "you're working"...then I'm working. It's as simmple as that.

TheQ
08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Sorry Guys, but I have a job that requires me to work some Saturdays, I coach my sons football teams, and I have a family. I can't be at everything MGO does. I make what I can. If my boss says "you're working"...then I'm working. It's as simmple as that.

I understand, Jeff...I do (trust me).

I also know there are many other people in the leadership of the organization.