PDA

View Full Version : Battle (well, range actually) Wound

Lamb
06-03-2013, 08:13 PM
I realize that it would be best to get an in-person, professional consultation on this, but as it's 9:12 p.m. and I am at home rather than where the experts are, I'm writing in hopes someone on here might have some thoughts on the subject.

At the range on Saturday, I somehow hurt my thumb while shooting my Ruger LCR 38-special.

I am right handed. If you hold up your left thumb so you're looking directly at your thumbnail, see where the nail meets the left side of the thumb? That indentation on my thumb is REALLY red, puffy and sore. I noticed it on the way home from the range.

This was my first time shooting my gun (any revolver), so I may have been holding it incorrectly (must have been, eh?).

Any idea on what might have caused an injury in that particular place?

westcliffe01
06-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Hot gas from the cylinder gap might have got your thumb if you had it too far forward ? You have to keep all digits well away from the cylinder gap ! With a 357 or 44 mag you could blow part of your finger clean off.

With a revolver you have to be very disciplined about how you hold the weapon, particularly the supporting hand. Else you might hurt yourself more than the bad guy.

JimSig
06-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Westcliffeo1 is right... Watch this video - the explanation is at 1:26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHD6JJFQ2WM

7.62 Nato
06-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Infected cuticle?

Lamb
06-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Westcliffeo1 is right... Watch this video - the explanation is at 1:26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHD6JJFQ2WM

Thank you for the resource, Jim.

When launching the link, should a survey come up? I can't get beyond it without answering their questions.

Lamb
06-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Hot gas from the cylinder gap might have got your thumb if you had it too far forward ? You have to keep all digits well away from the cylinder gap ! With a 357 or 44 mag you could blow part of your finger clean off.

With a revolver you have to be very disciplined about how you hold the weapon, particularly the supporting hand. Else you might hurt yourself more than the bad guy.

I'll bet you're right. I'd been taught to shoot with a .22 semi-automatic, and this was the first time shooting a revolver. I'll bet I had both thumbs forward like I did when shooting the other gun.

Thank you!

DP425
06-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Infected cuticle?

That's what it sounds like to me. I can't imagine you wouldn't notice your thumb being burnt by hot gas out of your revolver.

Lamb
06-04-2013, 01:51 PM
That's what it sounds like to me. I can't imagine you wouldn't notice your thumb being burnt by hot gas out of your revolver.

I can't either! But it's so strange that it was fine before I went and on the ride back I noticed it was hurting, red and bleeding a bit.

No biggie. I'll just be sure to watch what I'm doing next time!