PDA

View Full Version : SB 0407 weapon-free zones sign

Tallbear
06-05-2013, 10:24 AM
SB 0407 of 2013 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2013-SB-0407)
Weapons; other; weapon-free zones sign; require department of state police to develop. Amends sec. 5o of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.425o).
Last Action: 6/4/2013 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

dab102999
06-05-2013, 11:09 AM
If what I am reading (understanding) all this bill is doing is saying that now a sign has to be developed (GFZ sign). If that is the case what is the good/bad for the gun owning comunity...Or am I off and missing something with this bill??

DP425
06-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Doesn't seem like it adds anything- it looks like it is a sign that is expressly for the PFZ's as outlined in law for concealed carry.

My take on this- nothing more than an attempt at creating some uniformity and trying to remove the "I didn't know an sports stadium is a PFZ!" Seems unnecessary as anyone with a CPL SHOULD know where they can and cannot carry, but oh well.

xmanhockey7
06-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Seems silly. Places aren't even required to post the sign.

JK001
06-05-2013, 02:42 PM
:yeahthat:

It would make more sense to have a standard sign and REQUIRE the facility to post it a certain way like on the door or immediately adjacent to the door. They could even make the sign a PDF so it could be downloaded for a nominal fee.

Make them pay as we do for our permit fees.

themonk41
06-05-2013, 03:27 PM
My email to him ...

This bill seems to be a waste of time and legislative dollars. It also places an unecessary burden on our police that should be out enforcing laws already on the books.

You do or OBVISOULY don't realize that law abiding citizens already know where we can and cannot carry?

But since I'm sure you won't let it go, may I suggest instead of your proposed laguage, replace it with:

Criminal Empowerment Zone: We cannot protect ourselves! Free for all on behalf of Senator Glenn S. Anderson.

You know, since it's so important for criminals to know who's defenseless!

While you're at it, introduce a bill that requries citizens to post the credit card information on their homes and another making it mandatory to leave house keys in the door! I have some great ideas on how to make things easier on criminals. Feel free to call!

Kaeto
06-05-2013, 05:28 PM
This bill is just a first step in making the signs have force of law.

shurhouse
06-05-2013, 06:41 PM
This bill is just a first step in making the signs have force of law.

Maybe. A uniformed design ( while not required to be used ) would be the first step.

JK001
06-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Maybe. A uniformed design ( while not required to be used ) would be the first step.

And a uniform location for display!

Leader
06-05-2013, 08:56 PM

It would make more sense to have a standard sign and REQUIRE the facility to post it a certain way like on the door or immediately adjacent to the door. They could even make the sign a PDF so it could be downloaded for a nominal fee.

Make them pay as we do for our permit fees.

I like this part.
It could be a GREAT revenue stream for the state.
All places that are on the Do Not Carry list, would have to take a class so they know the firearm laws that they are forbidding honest people from exercising.
Then they would have to apply to the county they want to do business in or preform their service in for a license to be a PFZ and pay the $250 for a 3 year license. ( county would be required to issue license within one year but nothing would happen to them if they didn't.)
If they didn't have the currant license posted at EVERY entrance, they wouldn't qualify as a PFZ.

appliancebrad
06-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Guys and Gals, it's DOA fugetaboutit. The D's introduced a bunch of gun bills this past week(right before summer recess) so they can go home ot their constituents and tell them they did so. They'll go home at Christmas Braks and tell their gun hating base that the evil Republicans won't take thier Bills up. This bill is going NOWHERE in the R controlled Senate.

Lots of more important things to concentrate on. Have you contacted your rep about Red Light cameras yet? Tha tone appears fast tracked and has an R sponsor.

xmanhockey7
06-06-2013, 12:02 AM
This bill seems like a good way for businesses who are listed under 28.425o who would otherwise allow OC to ban it because they'll now be a "gun free zone".

Divegeek
06-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Lots of more important things to concentrate on. Have you contacted your rep about Red Light cameras yet? Tha tone appears fast tracked and has an R sponsor.

I just read about that one this week and have been working on the wording of my letters to my rep and senator.

Nothing like passing a law that will cause more accidents and create a new revenue stream for Lansing.

Kaeto
06-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Got a link to the red light camera bill?

DEVIL DOG
06-06-2013, 09:12 AM
If you knew Glen Anderson, you'd know how SILLY he is.

DV8r
06-06-2013, 09:32 AM
We do love to wast our time discussing new ways of chiseling away at our RIGHTS don't we?
:slap:
We need to remove these kinds of laws not change, amend or clarify them.

Divegeek
06-06-2013, 11:08 AM
The red light camera proposal is HB4763 http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(noiu3pn3vyuah3u5dbq0ff55))/mileg.aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2013-HB-4763

It currently has a bipartisan group pushing for it. My guess is that these people are somehow going to feather their nests with money made from this change.

LibertyComrade
06-06-2013, 01:44 PM
I like this part.
It could be a GREAT revenue stream for the state.
All places that are on the Do Not Carry list, would have to take a class so they know the firearm laws that they are forbidding honest people from exercising.
Then they would have to apply to the county they want to do business in or preform their service in for a license to be a PFZ and pay the $250 for a 3 year license. ( county would be required to issue license within one year but nothing would happen to them if they didn't.)
If they didn't have the currant license posted at EVERY entrance, they wouldn't qualify as a PFZ.

These are terrible ideas.

Many state-mandated PFZ locales are still privately owned such as bars, day cares, etc. They are already having their rights as property/business owners stripped from them by the state on whether they would choose to be PFZs or not. We shouldn't levy fines on them on top of the loss of that right just because we don't like the law. That's shooting the victim rather than the perpetrator in many instances.

What you're proposing would be like charging people use-permit fees for using a Free Speech Zone. The FSZ is already a violation of our rights, we shouldn't have to pay for our rights to be taken away.

Leader
06-06-2013, 01:50 PM
These are terrible ideas.

Many state-mandated PFZ locales are still privately owned such as bars, day cares, etc. They are already having their rights as property/business owners stripped from them by the state on whether they would choose to be PFZs or not. We shouldn't levy fines on them on top of the loss of that right just because we don't like the law. That's shooting the victim rather than the perpetrator in many instances.

What you're proposing would be like charging people use-permit fees for using a Free Speech Zone. The FSZ is already a violation of our rights, we shouldn't have to pay for our rights to be taken away.

If they didn't take the class, buy the license, & post it according to law, they wouldn't be covered.
But adding a fine (like if you don't buy approved health insurance) for not getting the license would be MORE money for the state.

Kaeto
06-06-2013, 01:53 PM
That Red Light Camera Bill needs quashed and fast.

TheQ
06-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Guys and Gals, it's DOA fugetaboutit. The D's introduced a bunch of gun bills this past week(right before summer recess) so they can go home ot their constituents and tell them they did so. They'll go home at Christmas Braks and tell their gun hating base that the evil Republicans won't take thier Bills up. This bill is going NOWHERE in the R controlled Senate.

This is why I'm not getting all worked up about it.

I may send an email out some day soon that lists all these anti-gun bills and shames their sponsors. That being said, I'm not losing sleep over the bills.

BenDefelice
06-12-2013, 12:22 AM
seems like they just want a sign.

DEVIL DOG
06-12-2013, 11:49 AM
seems like they just want a sign.
A sign might be good in some instances, like going into a bar that sells ALOT of food. How are we to know if it's ok to CC there? Would you ask the owner? A sign would take away the mystery.

SADAacp
06-12-2013, 10:37 PM
A sign might be good in some instances, like going into a bar that sells ALOT of food. How are we to know if it's ok to CC there? Would you ask the owner? A sign would take away the mystery.

Perhaps Michigan should have a law that requires all private property/business to post a No Weapons/Firearms sign...that would take away the mystery.

jdc48160
06-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Perhaps Michigan should have a law that requires all private property/business to post a No Weapons/Firearms sign...that would take away the mystery.

Require them to post a No Weapons/Firearms sign so it is easily visible to anyone entering the premises.

Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor is a great example of a no weapon/firearm establishment that doesn't have it posted so it is easily visible. You have to look for their "code of conduct" sign at the entrance, then read thru half of it before you ever find anything about weapons/firearms. And it's all in such small print, that if one wasn't specifically looking for it, you could miss it, carry on the premises, and get hassled over it because you couldn't find the sign saying you couldn't.

Flash-hider
07-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Sign or no sign can these elected officials site any incidences where a person with criminal intentions was turned back from committing a crime by the mere presence of a piece of paper with a bunch of words on it.

TheQ
07-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Backed by most of the Senate Dem caucus. Shocker....

:shock: :shocked: