PDA

View Full Version : hanging hand guns?

derrabe
06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Is there anything with wrong hanging an unloaded hand gun by its trigger guard? I am trying to figure out a way to better store my hand guns in my safe and the safe I have has a no removable locking top storage area as well as a lower rifle area. I was thinking of using these (http://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Hook-Magnets-Holds-Pounds/dp/B001KUWGHE/ref=pd_sim_k_1) under neither the top storage area and hanging my hang guns from their trigger guard. Is there any reason I should not do this? I might go up to the 25lb pull hooks if you think 12lb pull is too light for a heavier pistol.

oldskoolford427
06-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Is there anything with wrong hanging an unloaded hand gun by its trigger guard? I am trying to figure out a way to better store my hand guns in my safe and the safe I have has a no removable locking top storage area as well as a lower rifle area. I was thinking of using these (http://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Hook-Magnets-Holds-Pounds/dp/B001KUWGHE/ref=pd_sim_k_1) under neither the top storage area and hanging my hang guns from their trigger guard. Is there any reason I should not do this? I might go up to the 25lb pull hooks if you think 12lb pull is too light for a heavier pistol.
I have seen a safe with them hanging under the top shelf by the trigger guard with large brass cup hooks, I thought that looked like a great way to use that space.

derrabe
06-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Do you think a magnet with a weight baring of 12 lbs should be sufficient?

topgun
08-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Do you think a magnet with a weight baring of 12 lbs should be sufficient?
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="4"]

I don't think using a magnet is a good idea. Over a short period of time, the metal on your handgun(s) will be magnetized and attract small slivers and shavings of steel that will be difficult to remove.

Ranger_b0b
10-20-2013, 09:46 AM
it would probably work, but I have seen most pistols stored on the door. Is there a reason you cannot do that?

10x25mm
10-22-2013, 06:09 PM
All my safes have steel handgun hooks capacitor discharge welded to the steel plates which are the inside panels of the doors. The hooks have been polyvisol coated to prevent damage to handguns and the carpeting has been glued to the underlying steel door inner panel with small holes for each hook. The hooks are spaced so you can hang folding stock modern sporting rifles on them as well.

You could make your own magnetic hooks by gluing aluminum or brass hooks to really good magnets. Unfortunately, it is hard (and expensive) to get the good rare earth magnets which retain their magnetism over geological time. The commonly available ferrite magnets lose half their magnetic properties over two or three years of continuous usage and your handguns will be dropping like flies then. Not good.

If you are really determined to hang handguns from the inside roof of your safe, I would make up a frame from Unistrut (over in Wayne, MI) and use their track hooks. The track hooks can be slid along the Unistrut to make more or less room as each handgun's size requires. Should be able to hang a lot more handguns too.

kdet
10-25-2013, 09:53 PM
ive had a revolver "stuck" to an N42 neo magnet coated with rubber for 2 years with no effect to the firearm.

10x25mm
10-26-2013, 08:57 AM
ive had a revolver "stuck" to an N42 neo magnet coated with rubber for 2 years with no effect to the firearm.

Hardened gun steels are ferrimagnetic and tend to magnetize when exposed to hard ferromagnets over a period of time. This can result in your handgun picking up iron filings and other debris which can adversely effect its functioning. This magnetization can be eliminated by using an electrical 'demagnetizer', which come in two types: flat plate or ring. I have both types and can demagnetize your firerarms should you encounter this issue.

CyborgWarrior
10-26-2013, 10:08 AM
So way back before the internet when I was a reserve for Kern County S.O. we were briefed on discharge at the jail. LEO from a neighboring jurisdiction picking up a prisoner goes to sit on the throne. He removes his 1911 and hang it on the coat hook. After finishing business, retrieving the pistol, the thumb safety was off and the pushing upward motion needed to remove from the hook depressed the grip safety and the hook pushing the trigger caused the pistol to discharge.
As the officer struggled to gain control, the pistol kept firing.
Officer was able to gain control after magazine was empty.

just saying....

DP425
10-26-2013, 10:13 AM
So way back before the internet when I was a reserve for Kern County S.O. we were briefed on discharge at the jail. LEO from a neighboring jurisdiction picking up a prisoner goes to sit on the throne. He removes his 1911 and hang it on the coat hook. After finishing business, retrieving the pistol, the thumb safety was off and the pushing upward motion needed to remove from the hook depressed the grip safety and the hook pushing the trigger caused the pistol to discharge.
As the officer struggled to gain control, the pistol kept firing.
Officer was able to gain control after magazine was empty.

just saying....

And this too would be called a negligent discharge- obviously his attention to detail was lacking and this was fully preventable while still using the hook to hold his pistol.

bolonytony24
10-26-2013, 10:54 AM
hanging pistols would be a good use of space under shelf or from the top. i dont think i would rely on a magnet or hang one from the trigger gaurd loaded. the mesh netting on the inside of the door is nice if you have the depth for it.