PDA

View Full Version : Sweeping the gun at the range

agksimon
06-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Twice in the last couple of weeks, I've observed shooters on the line, turn to talk to someone and turned the gun with them, right at who they were talking to. One of those times, it was me and the guy had a S&W 500 (man that bore looked big).
That time, I grabbed the gun by the top strap, pointed it downrange and told him to watch where he was pointing that thing. The other time, I just told the guy to point it down range, as I was 20 feet away. Both guys were very sheepish and apologized. I hope I never run into this again, but I know I will.

langenc
07-02-2013, 10:16 AM
It happens to all of us.

The ones I seem to catch dont bother to apologize, but Im going to get more dramatic in my 'notifications'.

MI-1911
07-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Similar to this are those careless individuals that pick up firearms and start playing with them during cease fire. Typically this is a friend or family member that does this while the gun owner is down range checking/changing targets.

Please educate people on firearm safety when you take them to the range.

RYANINDAVISON
07-08-2013, 10:52 AM
This is why I do not shoot at ranges..

TomE
07-08-2013, 11:58 AM

Yup:phew:

SimbaLion
07-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Twice in the last couple of weeks, I've observed shooters on the line, turn to talk to someone and turned the gun with them, right at who they were talking to. One of those times, it was me and the guy had a S&W 500 (man that bore looked big).
That time, I grabbed the gun by the top strap, pointed it downrange and told him to watch where he was pointing that thing. The other time, I just told the guy to point it down range, as I was 20 feet away. Both guys were very sheepish and apologized. I hope I never run into this again, but I know I will.

It's good that you were aware enough to react and force their gun in a safe direction. While taking someone to shoot for the first time, I had to repeatedly grab her hand to pull her finger off the trigger when she was not aiming or ready to fire. Our lives are worth a little forceful training.

israelifal
07-08-2013, 04:28 PM
It happens to all of us.

The ones I seem to catch dont bother to apologize, but Im going to get more dramatic in my 'notifications'.

When I go to the indoor range you bet I let people know. They have signs all over the place that state " Only handle firearms in the booth" but people can't read anymore and just walk back and forth from the booth to the bench at the back of the shooting area...

Standby
07-09-2013, 10:16 PM

Not uncommon in public ranges....scary but true. Try to go on week days during the day....less people = less chance of being swept.

Kaskelto
07-20-2013, 04:17 AM
People are ridiculous. Seems like common sense not to point a gun at someone else, but I guess some people don't have common sense :banghead:

D-Man
07-22-2013, 09:18 AM
I sweep at the range all the time...

It's the best way to get all my brass;) ;) ;)

SimbaLion
07-22-2013, 09:26 AM
People are ridiculous. Seems like common sense not to point a gun at someone else, but I guess some people don't have common sense :banghead:

It is, but mistakes happen. Most people are not 100% in control of their hands 100% of the time. How many times do you see people touching their eyes and face with their filthy unwashed hands?

I was at the range the other day, and almost pointed my gun at someone, thankfully he caught it before and warned me. The circumstances were, I was going to unload it, and the gentleman interupted me, said "don't unload it here, unload it over there", as he pointed, I started to swivel to look and my gun moved with me.

I had the safety on (I specifically bought a gun with a safety so I wouldn't kill anybody making mistakes like this), and my first reaction was to say "don't worry, the safety is on", but I stopped myself before I could finish saying it, because that is completely unlike me to say. I honestly have no idea what inspired those words to enter my mind. Instead I said "I'm sorry, you're right."

The point is, people make mistakes. Distractions can cause our focus to become split, similar to how a computer multi-tasks, and when your attention is split on multiple things, it is easier to slip up. I make a special effort to avoid causing unnecessary distractions to someone who is wielding a weapon, or any potentially dangerous tool, both as a courtesy to them, and to protect my own life.

It's important to maintain a high awareness as much as possible, and if someone appears to be slipping on their own awareness, don't be afraid to take control of the situation. Some people might become self-righteous *****s, but most people will probably appreciate the help.

GreaseMonkeySRT
07-22-2013, 09:29 AM

Wish I had that option.

Pyzik
07-22-2013, 10:08 AM
I sweep at the range all the time...

It's the best way to get all my brass;) ;) ;)
I thought this was going to be complaint of someone sweeping up his brass! LOL

JohnJak
07-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Remember that it wasn't loaded.:rofl:

SimbaLion
07-22-2013, 10:57 AM

statistically speaking, the most dangerous condition for a firearm?

Ls1rhodes
07-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Every range I've been to I've seen this at one time or another. :shock: most people that do it seem to think their doing nothing wrong also

msagash
07-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Has anyone been to Brown Bear in Chesterfield (21 / Gratiot) and seen the nice bullet hole in the bulletproof glass barrier between lanes 3 and 4?

My CPL instructor told us that it happened during one of his classes. Female shooter in lane 3 had hot brass go down the front of her shirt, and was twisting around trying to get the brass out of her bra, but didn't set her weapon down on the bench first. I can only imagine being the shooter in lane 4 when that happened ...

TomE
07-25-2013, 11:09 AM
I thought this was going to be complaint of someone sweeping up his brass! LOL

:lolup::banana::salute:

bolonytony24
07-25-2013, 06:55 PM
i have seen several guys loading and carrying guns to the rear bench out of cases and i will usually politely ask them to keep in case or point to the range rules.
one day i noticed a guy behind me with 3 1911 laying on the rear counter and he was apparently having trouble with them. they were out of cases and he was cursing at them. i stepped back from the line after placing my weapon in the case and said nice set of 1911. he started to tell me that he was having trouble with the 2 he just purchased. i looked at them and he had 2 colts and a kimber. isaid very nice whats the problem. he told me that the mags will not lock in and stay. he starts to show me at the rear bench and i asked him to case them unless the were at the line.
he then proceeded to explain again that the mags will not lock. he picked up the used colt he had bought and had it pointed at my chest while trying to release a mag. he dropped the mag and it was loaded of course.
idiot im thinking. asked him to please not aim the weapon at me and keep it on the line. idiot had a compacpt kimber and bought to full frame colts and the mags were to short. 7 rds i guess and would not lock in to the full frame? i helped him out and he cased them so i went back to shooting.
as im shooting i hear banging on the glass and turn around to see the same fool loading a 44 mag revolver behind me and again its pointed at me. i started to pack my **** and was very upset. the guy working the range came in yelling at him and he insisted that he was safe and had his cpl. who gives a **** i said, you are unfit to be here and i dont want to be here with you around so i was about to leave when the worker asked him to leave. he had the nerve to say he was in the right and would not admit any wrong. thought he could just wave a firearm around loaded because he had a cpl? i do not wish to run into anymore idiots like this again. :fur3:

Dansjeep2000
07-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Amen, I built one in my back yard

D-Man
07-26-2013, 07:08 AM
i have seen several guys loading and carrying guns to the rear bench out of cases and i will usually politely ask them to keep in case or point to the range rules.
one day i noticed a guy behind me with 3 1911 laying on the rear counter and he was apparently having trouble with them. they were out of cases and he was cursing at them. i stepped back from the line after placing my weapon in the case and said nice set of 1911. he started to tell me that he was having trouble with the 2 he just purchased. i looked at them and he had 2 colts and a kimber. isaid very nice whats the problem. he told me that the mags will not lock in and stay. he starts to show me at the rear bench and i asked him to case them unless the were at the line.
he then proceeded to explain again that the mags will not lock. he picked up the used colt he had bought and had it pointed at my chest while trying to release a mag. he dropped the mag and it was loaded of course.
idiot im thinking. asked him to please not aim the weapon at me and keep it on the line. idiot had a compacpt kimber and bought to full frame colts and the mags were to short. 7 rds i guess and would not lock in to the full frame? i helped him out and he cased them so i went back to shooting.
as im shooting i hear banging on the glass and turn around to see the same fool loading a 44 mag revolver behind me and again its pointed at me. i started to pack my **** and was very upset. the guy working the range came in yelling at him and he insisted that he was safe and had his cpl. who gives a **** i said, you are unfit to be here and i dont want to be here with you around so i was about to leave when the worker asked him to leave. he had the nerve to say he was in the right and would not admit any wrong. thought he could just wave a firearm around loaded because he had a cpl? i do not wish to run into anymore idiots like this again. :fur3:

Just another reason to advocate for "private" lanes at shooting ranges.

TomE
07-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Amen, I built one in my back yard

I hear you there, I'm looking at mine now.

What The Heck did I get myself into by applying for the RSO class?

John70
07-26-2013, 04:08 PM

Common sense is not common!

GNJEEPN
07-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Did this happen at our club? Usually when we go out to shoot the ranges are empty. How ever the times we have been there when others are using the ranges it makes me wonder. I am always very observant of what others are doing on and near the range. Some people just make me very nervous with how they handle their weapons.

moreparts
07-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Funny, very funny. One method of sweeping make for a very clean shooters box, the other method of sweeping can make quite a mess.
Real, real scary.:banghead:

langenc
08-08-2013, 09:15 AM
When you getbsewpt and notify the sweeper you often get somthing like "t is ok-it aint loaded'...

Just remind em that 68% of all people shot are shot w/ unloaded guns..

Pick any number-you wont be far off.

Copied from post #11
I had the safety on (I specifically bought a gun with a safety so I wouldn't kill anybody making mistakes like this), and my first reaction was to say "don't worry, the safety is on", but I stopped myself before I could finish saying it, because that is completely unlike me to say. I honestly have no idea what inspired those words to enter my mind. Instead I said "I'm sorry, you're right."

Give em the same answer as above, still applies.("safety is on")

JDG
08-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Just remind em that 68% of all people shot are shot w/ unloaded guns..

Cute phrase, but impossible....:scratch:

Timbo
08-09-2013, 06:40 AM

Not really, treat every gun as it were loaded. Rule # 3.

If that doesn't do it point them to rule #2. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

langenc
08-09-2013, 09:38 AM

I guess you dont read newspapers and watch TV.

IOt is very common for some one to be shot with an 'empty gun'...68% of the time..

At the Ben Avrey range near Phoenix the ROs declare "CEASE FIRE" "OPEN ALL BOLTS".. You then step back from the benches.

The RO troops the line and checks weach gun for 'emptiness'. The have a gal pickle jar nearlt full of rounds taken from "empty guns". The jar is emptied frequently..

Cute!! Must not shoot at many ranges.

Fred
08-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Watch some of the WW2 movies where they show actual footage of Marines or soldiers sweeping each other with their weapons on a regular basis.
These are loaded guns with safeties off and fingers on triggers!:sniper:

JDG
08-15-2013, 05:34 AM
I guess you dont read newspapers and watch TV.

IOt is very common for some one to be shot with an 'empty gun'...68% of the time..

At the Ben Avrey range near Phoenix the ROs declare "CEASE FIRE" "OPEN ALL BOLTS".. You then step back from the benches.

The RO troops the line and checks weach gun for 'emptiness'. The have a gal pickle jar nearlt full of rounds taken from "empty guns". The jar is emptied frequently..

Cute!! Must not shoot at many ranges.

If the gun is unloaded, it is nothing but a beating tool... All the ones that kill, are loaded. Pretty simple! I'm not talking about peoples excuses for killing people, and saying you thought it was unloaded, don't make it unloaded. I don't shoot with dumb asses, so I don't get to see all the "unloaded" guns go off like many of you see.

JDG
08-15-2013, 05:48 AM
Not really, treat every gun as it were loaded. Rule # 3.

If that doesn't do it point them to rule #2. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Exactly!! Treat it like it is... But if it truly is, it cannot fire. Never sweep anything with a gun that you don't want to destroy, loaded or not.

agksimon
08-15-2013, 07:51 AM
We had a range improvement meeting at our club last week, (Sparta Hunting & Fishing Club) with another scheduled in two weeks. Because of the "sweeping" incidents, along with other unsafe practices that have been observed, we are now considering aggressively enforcing the following NRA range safety rules:

1. Keeping the firearm pointed in a safe direction, downrange at all times.

2. No transporting or handling, behind the firing line, of an uncased or unholstered firearm.

3. No handling of uncased or unholstered firearms when anyone is downrange or during a cease fire.

4. All uncased or unholstered firearms on the firing line must be unloaded, have the bolts or cylinders open and loading chambers exposed for anyone to inspect, after a cease fire is declared and before anyone goes downrange.

It is conceivable that one negligent shooting could result club liability and effectively cause it to shut down, if the above safety rules are not enforced.

TomE
08-15-2013, 08:22 AM
As a side question, with you being a NRA -Range Safety officer as per your signature, can you be held liable personally for a ND causing injury,death or damage while you are present at the range?

Especially if the NRA range rules are not enforced by the present RSO .

Like CPL holders are held to a higher standard, are RSO's subject to the same treatment?

This is not a harassment post,I'm merely seeking information.

Timbo
08-15-2013, 08:29 AM
4. All uncased or unholstered firearms on the firing line must be unloaded, have the bolts or cylinders open and loading chambers exposed for anyone to inspect, after a cease fire is declared and before anyone goes downrange.

To further this one step I would recommend supplying bright neon colored wire ties and have each shooter place one inside the unloaded chamber for easy identification. Cheap insurance and good visual to quickly verify compliance.

agksimon
08-15-2013, 08:49 AM
As a side question, with you being a NRA -Range Safety officer as per your signature, can you be held liable personally for a ND causing injury,death or damage while you are present at the range?

Especially if the NRA range rules are not enforced by the present RSO .

Like CPL holders are held to a higher standard, are RSO's subject to the same treatment?

This is not a harassment post,I'm merely seeking information.

In our class, the possibility of being held accountable through litigation was mentioned. There is liability insurance available through the NRA for this purpose.

I have "corrected" shooters at our club for not following the rules. So far, no one has objected.

agksimon
08-15-2013, 08:53 AM
To further this one step I would recommend supplying bright neon colored wire ties and have each shooter place one inside the unloaded chamber for easy identification. Cheap insurance and good visual to quickly verify compliance.

It will depend on how many people there are on the firing line, such as a sanctioned shoot. We may eventually require this, but not at this time. Though good practice and I carry neon zip ties with me to pass out to people, a quick visual inspection seems to be working.

TomE
08-15-2013, 08:59 AM
In our class, the possibility of being held accountable through litigation was mentioned. There is liability insurance available through the NRA for this purpose.

I have "corrected" shooters at our club for not following the rules. So far, no one has objected.

I've seen you correct folks. I only asked since there is a RSO class at West Walker on the 24th that I think I've been accepted to take.

Gifters
08-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Some ranges are not set up the best... interesting to see Law Enforcement training and driving down to the ranges on the left of the image while live fire is going on at the range on the bottom right... Darwin I guess

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s287/gifters/Range_zpsaaaca1fd.png (http://s155.photobucket.com/user/gifters/media/Range_zpsaaaca1fd.png.html)

agksimon
08-15-2013, 09:07 AM
I've seen you correct folks. I only asked since there is a RSO class at West Walker on the 24th that I think I've been accepted to take.

I highly recommend every shooter to take this class. It's a real eye opener and no matter how many safety rules you already know, you'll learn a lot more.
Another excellent class to consider, if you have a CPL is Personal Protection Outside the Home, a 14 hour class, that is far more intense than the one you took for your CPL and worth every penny.

agksimon
08-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Some ranges are not set up the best... interesting to see Law Enforcement training and driving down to the ranges on the left of the image while live fire is going on at the range on the bottom right... Darwin I guess

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s287/gifters/Range_zpsaaaca1fd.png (http://s155.photobucket.com/user/gifters/media/Range_zpsaaaca1fd.png.html)

No dividing berm between them? If not, it's a shooting waiting to happen.

Gifters
08-15-2013, 12:45 PM
No dividing berm between them? If not, it's a shooting waiting to happen.

No berm... no communication from the LE guys... just stupidity

Deadmeat3344
08-15-2013, 03:46 PM
No berm... no communication from the LE guys... just stupidity

Where is this place so we can avoid it?

GreaseMonkeySRT
08-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Where is this place so we can avoid it?

x2.

Gifters
08-15-2013, 08:18 PM
<---------------------------------- you guys in Detroit shouldn't have a problem

TomE
08-15-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm not in Detroit. Maybe we'll have to do a google earth search of all shooting ranges in your area around Hastings.:idea2:

Bridle Path has a Hastings Address.Details to follow

Bridle Path St crosses Cook Rd. Barry County Conservation Club is at 1180 Cook rd, where Bridle Path hits.

Gifters
08-16-2013, 02:54 AM
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

SIG229R
08-22-2013, 01:55 AM

This is exactly why I moved out to the country and built my own 300 yard shooting range on my land. No morons sweeping their loaded weapons my way, and no range officers on a power trip telling me what to do. I guess the same goes for Deer hunting. I have had a 2 instances on state land where I have heard bullets zoom over my head, and I have seen morons drinking beer while sitting in their blinds with rifles on their lap. Now I just walk out the back door around 200 yards and sit in my blind or tree stand. No worries and no morons any where near me. Life is Good :)

whipsnade
02-22-2014, 01:25 PM
When I complained to my well experienced, NRA Instructor, gun mentor friend about the "sweepers" and and other unsafe occurrences at the local ranges his simple answer was "Wear body armor to the range."

Makes sense, as his advise always does.

I always check to see who is shooting before I pay for range usage. If it is too crowded or I do not like the looks of the shooters (boyfriends teaching girlfriends, a pack of twenty somethings,etc.) I just leave and come back another time. It ain't worth it!

I will never forget how we were taught range safety in the army. Any violations of safety were met with at least a screaming fit by the nearest NCO and usually your steel pot was knocked off your head and some of the poor fools wound up with extra duty. Too bad we can not use some of those tactics with today's new shooters.

Leader
02-22-2014, 04:46 PM
When I complained to my well experienced, NRA Instructor, gun mentor friend about the "sweepers" and and other unsafe occurrences at the local ranges his simple answer was "Wear body armor to the range."

Makes sense, as his advise always does.

I always check to see who is shooting before I pay for range usage. If it is too crowded or I do not like the looks of the shooters (boyfriends teaching girlfriends, a pack of twenty somethings,etc.) I just leave and come back another time. It ain't worth it!

I will never forget how we were taught range safety in the army. Any violations of safety were met with at least a screaming fit by the nearest NCO and usually your steel pot was knocked off your head and some of the poor fools wound up with extra duty. Too bad we can not use some of those tactics with today's new shooters.

A wise man....
As evidenced by all the accidental shootings and killings at gun ranges.
I know I can't count suicides but the rest of them are in the papers & on the news almost daily.

someplace I would guess.

You have a justified fear from being swept.

Biggs10
02-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Last year I was at a Friday night fun shoot , a border patrol guy came in with a girlfriend or wife (acted like he owned the place , quickly a range officer put him in his place) after about a hr his wife/girl was walking toward me and dropped her gun , pointed right at me!

I bet the ride home in that car was quiet ..
The guy wasn't in a good mood after the range officer shut him down

langenc
02-23-2014, 01:30 PM

I tell those that tell me this "that the last 46% of people shot were shot with UNloaded guns."

While shooting at the LARGE (number of benches) BenAvery range N of Phoenix they will call CEASE FIRE-OPEN ALL BOLTS-MAKE SAFE...

Then several ROs will troop the line and check every gun chamber. Ammo found in guns is remover and placed in a gallon jar at the head RO control point.

When we were there the jar was 3/4 FULL... ammo taken from SAFE GUNS!!!I wish Id asked how long it took to collect that ammo.

langenc
02-23-2014, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=whipsnade]When I complained to my well experienced, NRA Instructor, gun mentor friend about the "sweepers" and and other unsafe occurrences at the local ranges his simple answer was "Wear body armor to the range."

What a dumb a55....

My son in law is in the USAF. I dont know what kind of a unit, even the daughter commented that some other AF friends commented that it was 'funny' that she didnt know what he does(previous post was Area 511).

Max said that if your shooting habits are not 'good' in his unit (as an airman) you will very soon be in another unit. It sounds like they do range time more than the average military unit.

tyler79durdan
02-24-2014, 07:57 AM
and no range officers on a power trip telling me what to do.

I think the power trip is a positive thing. You wouldnt want a RO being all shy and soft spoken, right? They are there to lock it down. Hell they are there to protect you from yourself and other shooters, end of story. I say let the testosterone fly when it comes to RO's.

whipsnade
02-24-2014, 06:06 PM
What a dumb a55....

Huh???? Who are you referring to?

langenc
03-05-2014, 12:56 PM
The dumb a55 that thouht body armor was needed at a range!!

Maybe he should remove some violators instead of suggesting BA for cautious folks.

That sounds like the lefties-"get rid of your guns cause some people get shot with them!!"

Ender_1524
04-15-2014, 09:50 PM
I have witnessed this serval times at the outdoor ranges I have visited. Luckily I have not experienced someone sweeping me!

kasperdsmk
06-24-2014, 01:03 AM
The dumb a55 that thouht body armor was needed at a range!!

Maybe he should remove some violators instead of suggesting BA for cautious folks.

That sounds like the lefties-"get rid of your guns cause some people get shot with them!!"

After taking my cpl class for the first time just the other day. and seeing some of the people who "passed" who almost dropped there fire arm after shooting it once, watching the same person's knees giving out and an overall scared look or mentality of there firearm, disobeying cease fire commands. pointing the firearm in all directions while reload. its just terrible they'll let any joe blow own a gun let alone carry concealed. im not surprised someone wouldn't want to wear full body armor everytime at the range I know I will deff be investing in a vest as I plan on going to indoor ranges a lot more now. I also am a firm believer that these people who go get there cpl and do end up trying to use it in a self defense situation are probably 30x more likely to get them selves killed or hurt innocent bystanders then doing any defending vs just listening to the demands of there perpetrator. If you aren't skilled enough or confident enough in handling a firearm you shouldn't period.. I couldn't imagine these people in a real life situation if they cant even handle the stress in a class room environment or the range. IMHO CPL Classes, And ranges to need become a lot stricter on rules and safety of firearms.. Besides that the lecture and instructor was awesome and I learned a lot and enjoyed it..

amontana086
06-24-2014, 02:30 AM
After taking my cpl class for the first time just the other day. and seeing some of the people who "passed" who almost dropped there fire arm after shooting it once, watching the same person's knees giving out and an overall scared look or mentality of there firearm, disobeying cease fire commands. pointing the firearm in all directions while reload. its just terrible they'll let any joe blow own a gun let alone carry concealed. im not surprised someone wouldn't want to wear full body armor everytime at the range I know I will deff be investing in a vest as I plan on going to indoor ranges a lot more now. I also am a firm believer that these people who go get there cpl and do end up trying to use it in a self defense situation are probably 30x more likely to get them selves killed or hurt innocent bystanders then doing any defending vs just listening to the demands of there perpetrator. If you aren't skilled enough or confident enough in handling a firearm you shouldn't period.. I couldn't imagine these people in a real life situation if they cant even handle the stress in a class room environment or the range. IMHO CPL Classes, And ranges to need become a lot stricter on rules and safety of firearms.. Besides that the lecture and instructor was awesome and I learned a lot and enjoyed it..
Liberal trolling.

Delete this garbage.

kasperdsmk
06-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Simply stating facts pertaining to the thread an the experience I had while at action impact does not make me a liberal or a troll in that matter. I've been there numerous times an never had a problem until now. Thanks though.

langenc
07-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Edit- the range is truely a place to be forever vigilant..

topgun
07-14-2014, 11:32 AM
It happens to all of us.

I'll loudly call a "Cease Fire" to get everyone's attention, this works better and is what's advised by most range managers.

mikeb32
07-14-2014, 01:09 PM
I'll loudly call a "Cease Fire" to get everyone's attention, this works better and is what's advised by most range managers.

Amen Brother, as a CRSO I would recommend this course of action to anyone that sees such activity!!

RusticCamper
07-15-2014, 09:57 PM

I couldnt agree more with you, Kudos cause i think sometimes people forget they allow shooters on the line to call a cease fire themselves in case of a danger present on the firing line. Kudos topgun.

DrScaryGuy
08-04-2014, 04:58 PM
Liberal trolling.
Delete this garbage.

Simply stating facts pertaining to the thread an the experience I had while at action impact does not make me a liberal or a troll in that matter. I've been there numerous times an never had a problem until now. Thanks though.
I am unashamedly pro-gun, and I agree with the fact that some people NEEEEEED more training than others, and that instructors should consider body armor - I've had a few tell me that as well, and actually know some that got together to do a big order for a group discount.
Action Impact SUCKS worse than any range I've been to and most of their RSO will wear body armor. Most of the instructors there also wear body armor. I've helped with classes there and I desperately wanted body armor... not because of our students (because the people I help out usually keep one RSO for every one or two students, so safety is almost never an issue), but because of all the other people that go in to that range. I've had more guns negligently pointed at me in that place the few times I've been than I've had pointed at me at all the other places I've been combined. I absolutely HATE having to call in the RSO to kick people out, but when I'm hiding behind the lexan wall because some guy has pointed a loaded gun sideways at me with his finger on the trigger a few times, I do what I have to to stay safe.
True story... I was at Action Impact, firing through my AR magazine until empty, letting it drop and catch on my sling, while drawing my sidearm and continuing to fire. The RSO (one of the nice ones who I like) came over and told me that I couldn't do that anymore because of safety concerns (even though he saw my AR mag was empty and my bolt locked back). He said "oh, I know you and you're always good... but these other people will try to do that and I'll wind up having to deal with ANOTHER guy shooting the floor and the wall behind him". He went on to explain that one guy even managed to charge a pump shotgun with his finger on the trigger and blow a hole in the bench in front of him... and after the RSO yelled at him and gave him a second chance, the next round went through the ceiling for the exact same reason...
I will literally not go shooting at AI anymore after noon. Once all the idiots in the area wake up, that place becomes a nightmare.

bfitz2834
08-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Don't forget the guys that bring their girlfriends and almost let them cut their thumb off with the slide when they hold the gun wrong. I've had to jump over and stop a couple people from getting hurt not knowing how to even hold the gun

AleksanderSuave
08-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Don't forget the guys that bring their girlfriends and almost let them cut their thumb off with the slide when they hold the gun wrong. I've had to jump over and stop a couple people from getting hurt not knowing how to even hold the gun

gotta learn the hard way sometimes :)

Ive never seen a girl cut their thumb off, however, a glock bite or 2 will get them to stop treating it like a date, and treating it more like the serious situation it is, and pay more attention hopefully.

michiganfan
08-16-2014, 07:06 AM
All the time.

jb85
08-18-2014, 07:25 PM
I've seen it happen while training at work. Usually ends up in someone being reprimanded and or getting fired. People who are novice might not realize how big of a deal it is, but making an example out of them and being "that guy" might be a way to safe someone from getting shot by a dummy.

Baher20018
12-20-2017, 03:13 PM
I’ve seen a girl who rented a six shot revolver shoot off 6 rounds. Then, she kept pulling the trigger like something more was going to happen. When the gun was not firing like she thought it should she pointed the gun at her face to look down the Bore. I packed up and left. No range officers just the cashier watching from a camera.

americanexpress
12-11-2023, 08:09 PM
I see it every time I go to the in store gun ranges, lots of first times being taught by amateurs.

Roundballer
12-11-2023, 11:39 PM
Dredged up 10 year old thread.

MCPO_SOCM_RET
12-12-2023, 12:41 AM
Dredged up 10 year old thread.

Actually it is just shy of 6 years old Mr Smarty Pants :biggrin: :poke:

Leader
12-12-2023, 12:10 PM
Actually it is just shy of 6 years old Mr Smarty Pants :biggrin: :poke:

Started 06/30/2013 sure seems like MORE then 10 years to me.

MCPO_SOCM_RET
12-12-2023, 12:15 PM
Started 06/30/2013 sure seems like MORE then 10 years to me.

Yes. But it's a 6 year old zombie. No?

:boat: Fish on!