PDA

View Full Version : crossbows

cmr19xx
07-20-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm considering getting my son (11) a crossbow for deer hunting. I know very little about crossbows and there seems to be a wide variety at a wide range of prices. Anyone have any advice in selecting one?

bolonytony24
07-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Barnett has a few that are fair for the price. I think the models are wildcat and quad 400. I personally use a compound but several of my family members have started using these including my niece . you will have to draw it back or get the additional crank device. happy hunting

Leader
07-21-2013, 08:17 PM
If I remember right from the debates before they were legalized here, if you get him one, the deer will just die right in front of him.
You can't miss at any range and every shot is a kill shot.
Doesn't matter what kind you buy.

cmr19xx
07-22-2013, 06:17 AM
If I remember right from the debates before they were legalized here, if you get him one, the deer will just die right in front of him.
You can't miss at any range and every shot is a kill shot.
Doesn't matter what kind you buy.

If only it were that easy.

mikeb32
07-22-2013, 07:09 AM
The big question is, How much do you want to spend?

TomE
07-22-2013, 07:19 AM
I have a Wildcat C5 by Barnett, it's sized small but would be hard for a normal 11 year old to pull back with the rope cocking device

Parker has some youth sized x-Bows, The Challenger is for youth or ladies, around $500 IIRC

http://www.parkerbows.com/crossbows.html

I paid $242 OTD for my WildcatC5 with rope cocker,bolts,target points, and quiver last season.

dab102999
07-22-2013, 07:23 AM
I bought my wife a parker. It is the only model I could find that was small enough for her to pull back without a crank. Also my 11 year old daughter can comfortably shoot it. I liked it so much I bought myself a parker since my elbow no longer lets me shoot a compound.

oldskoolford427
07-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Why a crossbow and not a compound bow?? There are some great compound bows..

RMC
07-22-2013, 09:24 AM
I bought my wife a parker. It is the only model I could find that was small enough for her to pull back without a crank. Also my 11 year old daughter can comfortably shoot it. I liked it so much I bought myself a parker since my elbow no longer lets me shoot a compound.

What model(s) Parker did you buy?

cmr19xx
07-22-2013, 10:58 AM
To answer a few questions:

Compound bow vs. crossbow?
He's small for his age. I've had him try a few compound bows and he struggles to get to the let off point and from there, he just not very steady for a long period of time. A crossbow for a couple of years seemed like an easy solution.

What am I willing to spend?
It really depends. Ultimately, I'd like to get him using a bow instead of a crossbow, but if I'm going to get him out there with me, I think he needs a crossbow right now. As such, I'd like to keep the cost down, but I'm willing to spend the money if I need to. My work schedule is crazy 8 months out of the year. The fall is the one time I can really spend some quality time with my kids so I'm willing to pay for it.

As far as cocking the crossbow goes, I'd do that for him.

mikeb32
07-22-2013, 11:02 AM
I will keep my eyes and ears open.

dab102999
07-22-2013, 11:03 AM
What model(s) Parker did you buy?

For the wife I got a Challanger.

http://parkerbows.com/crossbows.html?action=detail&detailsku=1126

For myself I got a thunder hawk.

http://parkerbows.com/crossbows.html?action=detail&detailsku=1125

These things are light to carry, come with scope and bolts. I was really looking at ten point becauses they were the only ones that had an intergrated self cocker for the wife, then we saw this parker and it is the only one she could rope cock because of the slightly shorter stroke. After we got it home and really shot it for the weekend I liked the lightness of it. So I went out and bought a parker also. And also us both having the same crossbow makes it nice for the same bolts for both. Also has a dryfire feature, and I like the way the bolt encapulates the string. We have been looking at crossbows for her for over a year until we found this one. Can't remember exactly what we spent but I think it was less then $370 for hers out the door and mine wasn't much more. I love to hunt with my compound. Have been doing it for close to 30 years. But this year I finally listened to my elbow that screams after I shoot 20 or 30 shots and retired the compound to my son and bought a crossbow.

BravoKilo
07-25-2013, 11:06 PM
A bit biased since it's my one and only bow... but if you're looking to possibly sell it in the future I'd say check out Excalibur. Definitely a bit more up front than some other brands, but they are both amazingly reliable and accurate and also retain their value.

Their main downfall, however, is their size. While not extremely heavy, their relatively wide footprint (compared to compound crossbows) can be a bit cumbersome at times. That being said, being a traditional/recurve crossbow it keeps things simple -- no major moving parts to worry about, and you can restring it yourself within minutes.

pkuptruck
07-26-2013, 03:56 AM
you'll be surprised by the completely different feel and weight of different crossbows!

best advice, is to take hime with you, while you investigate diferent versions/makers.

Like a rifle, or pistol... fit and "feel" have alot to do with comfort and how well you and/or he shoots it!

Personally... been looking on and off for over a year for one the is "just right"...

Good Luck.. with the crossbow and with mentoring him in the woods!

cmr19xx
07-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice and recommendations. I think we need to head out to try a few. Looking forward to Oct 1.

kiawahman
07-26-2013, 07:57 AM
I picked up a used 175#/265(actual)fps Jaguar crossbow a couple years ago, and have shot the heck out of it with zero issues. They sell new for @ $150 from Sportsman's Guide. The red dot scope has worked perfectly and using a cocking rope I can consistently get 3" circles at 30 yards. The only mods I made were to polish and lube the trigger, and bought Easton 20" bolts instead of the 16" crap they come with. Being that it is a recurve bow and not a compound, it is very forgiving should you have an accidental dry fire. Everyone that has shot it has been impressed, from age 8 to 80.

Yeah, it's made in the far East somewhere, but it has proven its dependability and functionality to me 100 times over. I've never hunted with it, but have no doubt that within 30 yards I could bring down a large deer with ease. Why pay more?!

keen one
08-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Your son should shoulder a few and narrow down the selection. I use an Excalibur Vortex. It's a recurve, simple and reliable. A friend of mine has the backwards Horton variety. It's accurate and really compact. My uncle uses a Ten point. Very accurate.

My impressions are that a quality bow is going to start about $500. Check Craigs list for used and save the 20% new premium.