PDA

View Full Version : FREE New Shooter Clinic, Howell, MI August 25th!!!

Barrettone
07-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Please respond to the poll above if you plan on attending, with the number of participants. Bring out your wives, your kids, or anybody interested about getting into the shooting sports, and learning in a safe environment from qualified instructors/RSO's. This is your chance to get a new shooter involved!!! Please only respond to the poll if you are POSITIVE you are coming or bringing someone. These counts are what we go by when planning the event.

MGO would like to announce that it is partnering with Howell Gun Club to put on a FREE New Shooter Clinic on Sunday, August 25th at 10am. MGO will provide all the guns, ammunition, instructors, eye and ear protection, targets, and food for this event. It will feature trap shooting (20 and 12 gauge), benchrest .22 and bullseye for .22 pistol. It will also have a defensive handgun (9mm) component as well. There will be practical instruction on the range, and we will work on grip, stance, and sight alignment prior to the practical exercises. The practical portion will focus on trigger control, target recognition and shot follow through.

Event schedule is as follows:

10:00 am Introductions
10:30 am Basic handgun handling
11:00 am Grip, Stance and Sight Alignment for long gun and handgun
12 noon Lunch Break
12:45 pm Break into equal groups to shoot practical
1:00 pm Go to your first assigned range.
1:30 pm Rotate Ranges
2:00 pm Rotate Ranges
2:30 pm Rotate Ranges
3:00 pm Reassemble at original meeting area for closing remarks

I will personally be there to talk to members and the new shooters. Please take the time to get a new shooter involved!!! If you would like to volunteer your time to help, please PM me with your name and phone number, and we'll get you plugged in. Together, we can ALL make a difference!!!

Pyzik
08-05-2013, 09:08 AM
I'd be happy to volunteer if we get the RSO cert event up before this event.

I selected three slots as well.

mikeb32
08-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Since it is my wedding anniversary I at first didn't think I had a chance at making it..........But then I had a thought, Maybe I will just bring her with me!!
I will let you know as soon as I do some more negotiating!!

Michaelk
08-05-2013, 06:19 PM
I'll be passing this info on to some potentially interested people. Hope they are able to attend with their significant other.

Hunters21w
08-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Any idea what model shotguns might be used for the trap portion? Looking into picking one up soon so this would be a great opportunity to try some out.

If you haven't picked them out yet, don't worry about it ;)

mikeb32
08-06-2013, 10:24 AM
I can't use the Poll again but, I will be there to help out and I will have at east one New Shooter with me and maybe 2.

Barrettone
08-06-2013, 11:51 AM
FREE RSO Class is posted for east side for those that want to take it and help out!!!

http://migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=258285

Barrettone
08-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Any idea what model shotguns might be used for the trap portion? Looking into picking one up soon so this would be a great opportunity to try some out.

If you haven't picked them out yet, don't worry about it ;)

It'll be 12 gauge (what we have ammo for).

Jeff

Pyzik
08-06-2013, 03:09 PM
FREE RSO Class is posted for east side for those that want to take it and help out!!!

http://migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=258285
Great!

It'll be 12 gauge (what we have ammo for).

Jeff
I think he meant Model.

chipsbgz
08-18-2013, 08:47 PM
when is the next one gonna be? we REALLY wanted to go, but I can't get the day off of work unfortunately.

kryl
08-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Almost positive that I will go and bring my son. I will know soon. I didn't vote yet.

Mr. Waverly
08-21-2013, 02:07 PM
For those of us attending an event like this for the first time, a couple of questions.

In addition to what you are providing, is there anything we should plan to bring with us, such as fluids (water, Gatorade, chairs, writing materials, etc...)?

Even though you are providing guns, ammo, and such, would it be advisable to bring our personal sidearms, so that we can practice with them instead of a handgun we are not going to be using?

Will we be in the sun all day, or will we be under cover or in the shade?

I am looking forward to attending, and want to be prepared.

Thanks.

mikeb32
08-21-2013, 02:18 PM
I am sure Barrettone will respond with more info than I can provide, but Hydration is always a good thing!

There is Lunch Break at around noon, which I am sure ill be in shade, but will let the boss address the rest, looking forward to meeting you and your Son.........Mike

Barrettone
08-21-2013, 04:19 PM
For those of us attending an event like this for the first time, a couple of questions.

In addition to what you are providing, is there anything we should plan to bring with us, such as fluids (water, Gatorade, chairs, writing materials, etc...)?

Even though you are providing guns, ammo, and such, would it be advisable to bring our personal sidearms, so that we can practice with them instead of a handgun we are not going to be using?

Will we be in the sun all day, or will we be under cover or in the shade?

I am looking forward to attending, and want to be prepared.

Thanks.

I would bring additional fluids, and lunch will be under cover. As for firearms, keep in mind that this is a "new shooter" clinic. If they just obtained a gun, then if we have ammo, we can probably get them going, HOWEVER, this is not a free-for-all for ANYONE to just show up and get some free ammo to burn through their gun. I just want to be clear on that. The mission is to get new people into shooting. People with their own guns are USUALLY already into it, but there are exceptions of course, like people who JUST got their first gun.

Mr. Waverly
08-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Barrettone,

I agree, this is not an opportunity to hand out free ammo for a fun day at the range, nor should it be. I do apologize if that was how my message came across. I do own two handguns right now, but that does not mean I am proficient with them. I personally see this as an opportunity for me to become more familiar with handguns, learning about stance, grip, trigger control and sight-picture under the guidance of others significantly more experienced than I. The bonus would be if I could train with my own sidearm(s) (and I would be willing to bring .380 and .45 acp ammo for my Beretta Model 84 and FNP-45). With permission, I would like to bring my handguns, but secure them in my vehicle until it is appropriate to bring them to the line. If I can use them, great; if not, then I've learned some skills that I need to transfer the next time I go to the range. Either way, I come out a better shooter.

Again, thank you all for putting your time, effort and patience in this event. I know it is not easy, but the outcome will be worth it.

brotheryang
08-22-2013, 03:09 PM
when is the next one gonna be? we REALLY wanted to go, but I can't get the day off of work unfortunately.
Same here! This is exactly what my wife, son, and I are looking for, but I have to work that day. :cry: Grrrrrrrrr. I am totally frustrated!!!!!! I hope another one can be put together, and thanks to all who are involved for doing this!

kdogg
08-23-2013, 01:12 PM
I'd like to see something like this put on over on the west side of the state. Maybe the Grand Rapids area? West Walker or South Kent Sportsmens Club?

I have some work colleague who would probably be interested in this. They do not own guns and do not shoot but after Sandy Hook, they are interested in learning. The relevance to Sandy Hook is that they are public school teachers.

If we can set one up, I'd be happy to RSO.

*kdogg* pokes right2bear

right2bear
08-23-2013, 01:39 PM
I'd like to see something like this put on over on the west side of the state. Maybe the Grand Rapids area? West Walker or South Kent Sportsmens Club?

I have some work colleague who would probably be interested in this. They do not own guns and do not shoot but after Sandy Hook, they are interested in learning. The relevance to Sandy Hook is that they are public school teachers.

If we can set one up, I'd be happy to RSO.

*kdogg* pokes right2bear

I hear ya man. I'll talk to you tomorrow at the class.

Pyzik
08-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Had a blast, even though I never pulled the trigger. I brought ammo and guns in case I was able to get some free range time but was too pooped and just wanted to get home a take a shower.

One father and son, neither had ever even held a gun before put all rounds in the black at 7 yards! Pretty sure they found a new hobby together.

Jackam
08-26-2013, 09:28 AM
One father and son, neither had ever even held a gun before put all rounds in the black at 7 yards!

THIS is great to read!
Caliber and type of firearm?

Fuzzbutt
08-26-2013, 09:47 AM
It was great being there on Sunday. My wife loved it. I tried to take the most information I could from it. Learned a lot. Was able to shoot a few firearms I have never had an opportunity to try. Was thrilled that my wife liked a few of them and was surprised which ones. I might be the new owner of a Glock in the near future. Seems she has a bit of a shoulder bruise from the trap range but that's no real big deal.

I can't wait to visit another event and hopefully soon it will be with my son by my side too.

Oh and Thanks again to the Howell Gun Club for allowing us to use their facility. I'm going to have to think long and hard about a membership there even though it's basically an 80 mile round trip it was a nice place to shoot.

(Just to pre-answer any questions on which Glock she liked it was both the 17 and the 26. I have a Sig P226 that is just a bit bigger than the G19 but she doesn't like it in 9MM but loved both the G17 and G26 in 9MM. Just goes to show you that what one person likes someone else might not and this really comes into play when it's a lady that you are talking about.)

Pyzik
08-26-2013, 09:57 AM
THIS is great to read!
Caliber and type of firearm?
Sorry, should have specified.
Each shot 10 rounds from a G17 and a G19.

Fuzzbutt, it was nice to meet you and your wife. I was on the pistol line with the Glocks. Your wife did great.
Don't feel bad that she likes Glocks. My wife likes XDs... :???: :D

mikeb32
08-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Everyone that I talked to at the Registration and Merchandise table said they really had a great time. Thanks to Everyone who helped out and made this event a success. Heck, My wife even had a great time!!!

Fuzzbutt
08-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Everyone that I talked to at the Registration and Merchandise table said they really had a great time. Thanks to Everyone who helped out and made this event a success. Heck, My wife even had a great time!!!

Pyzik I know. That's the beauty of the different makes. Everyone can find one they like. I've got 2 other makes of pistols but am not a fan boy of any, though I'm not really keen on M&P's or at least I haven't shot one I like yet. I am really entertaining the idea of owning a glock. Her brother loves them and I understand why. I don't think I'd sell my Sig anytime soon but I think I can deal with having hammered and hammerless pistols.

Mike, I'm glad your wife had a good time too. It was nice shooting with her and meeting you. Maybe next time you can shoot with us too.

Here she is with one of those simple black guns

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w387/thefuzzbutt/th_1233629_718455831503260_1803352116_n_zps0bb89b8 0.jpg (http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/thefuzzbutt/media/1233629_718455831503260_1803352116_n_zps0bb89b80.j pg.html)

SeeTee
08-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Good time on Sunday! It was great to meet and talk with several of the people that came out to the event, It looked to me like everybody had a good time.

A big thank you to Howell Gun club and all the members there that helped us out!
A thanks to MGO members, Barrettone, Mikeb32 and Pyzik who volunteered to work the event, busy day and it sure went by fast!
A few pic.
Mikeb32 & wife manning the check in table.

http://i42.tinypic.com/fp9hlz.jpg

Barrettone doing the greet & introduction

http://i44.tinypic.com/axl5s1.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/23vne45.jpg

Pyzik,( in tan MGO hat) Instructing shooters on the outdoor Pistol & rifle
range

http://i41.tinypic.com/28btcp2.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/35hjnlv.jpg

Pyzik
08-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks for sharing the pics SeeTee! Very cool.