PDA

View Full Version : Build Your Own Shooting Sandbags?

Howard000003
04-25-2008, 11:08 PM
After my last trip to the range, I've come to the conclusion I need a couple of shooting rests to prop the front of my CZ 98/22 Mauser up a little. At the particular range I shoot at you sit a little low anyhow, combine this with the length of my rifle I need to prop the front end up 2-3 inches. I looked into buying a couple of leather shooting sandbags but I don't want to pay 40-60 dollars for them. I'm toying with the idea of making my own. Perhaps buying some leather, cut the pattern and having a local shoe repair shop do the actual sewing. Does anyone have any ideas or input on what thickness of leather to use or a particular design? Or do you think leather is even the way to go? Perhaps leather is too much effort, should I just sew some burlap together and fill it with sand?

Roger Roney
04-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Yes, :lol: but wouldn't burlap eventually "leak" sand unless lined with something?

Others will probably have better ideas, but depending on who's nearest/cheapest, how about vinyl, done at an upholstery place, or canvas by a boat top or awning/tent place?

Roger

45 acp
04-26-2008, 04:06 AM
Use the legs from an old pair of jeans Most of the sewing is already done that way. Fill them with kitty litter it is lighter to transport to the range.

RifleGuy
04-26-2008, 04:32 AM
Use the legs from an old pair of jeans Most of the sewing is already done that way. Fill them with kitty litter it is lighter to transport to the range.
Writer Mike Venturino has been doing this very thing for many years. I liked the idea and began doing it as well. I have filled the bags with cat litter, and even bulk ground corn cob (also available from the Pet Dept. at your favorite big-name store) and have had great success. The corn cob is very light, but provides good support for pistolas, rifle shooters might want a bit more weight & density to the fill.

Howard000003
04-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Yes, :lol: but wouldn't burlap eventually "leak" sand unless lined with something?

Others will probably have better ideas, but depending on who's nearest/cheapest, how about vinyl, done at an upholstery place, or canvas by a boat top or awning/tent place?

Roger

Do you think vinyl would be thick enough? I ‘m looking to make something that will last at 5-10 years. The canvas should be fine, I doubt that would rip or wear thin overtime.

who dat
04-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Use rice in whatever fabric you want. You can then use them as heating pads by microwaving them for a minute or two. Great for stiff necks, sore backs, whatever. (I thing dried corn works, too.)

Roger Roney
04-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Do you think vinyl would be thick enough? I ‘m looking to make something that will last at 5-10 years. The canvas should be fine, I doubt that would rip or wear thin overtime.I believe different thicknesses are available, so yes.

We had tons and tons of sandbags at the old Chrysler Highland Park Eng'rg. I can't say for sure as I didn't pay attention and am relying on 10 year old memories, but I think a majority of ours were vinyl. I know some were canvas.

Roger