PDA

View Full Version : Jammin' at the range

tootsie
04-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Clip-fed jams. What a pain.

While on the U.S. Army range in 1970 shooting my M-16 from the prone position my weapon jammed. The drill sargeant was displeased.

But worse yet, ever since, I've purchased many clip-fed firearms that were 'jammers'.

My solution was to lightly 'oil' the bullets before loading the clip...then maybe a drop or two of rem-oil on the top round & let it drip down if it's gonna drip.
That has improved the feed but still leaves me wondering when the next feed problem is going to occur.

I'd hate to stake my life on one of those clip-fed weapons.
That's why I rely on my revolver & shotgun for home defense.

Ruger P95, Remington .22, Marlin Camp Carbine, all clip-fed & all have jammed on me.

Maybe I need to put a few hundred more rounds through these guns to 'break them in' further?

Anybody got any tips for improving feed?
Something short of a trip to the gunsmith?

UTPD#5
04-28-2008, 07:56 PM
WOW...I would NEVER oil a magazine or a round of ammo...that is asking for an issue. Either "gumming" of the mag or "failure of the ammo."

Early M16/AR15's were prone to heat issues causing stuck cases and the like.

As for modern magazine fed handguns (pistols) I have fired tens of thousands of rounds with only a handful of issues, generally only after the weapon becomes dirty...or the ammo was at fault.

My suggestion would be to keep the weapon clean, magazines should be clean and oil FREE and ammo should be of a reliable manufacturer.

IMHO with pistols the issue is generally with the operator: limp wristing, incorrect grip, improperly seated mags...the list goes on.

I am a lover of combat revolvers, but, quality pistols have a roll in defensive actions.

tootsie
04-28-2008, 08:13 PM
"My suggestion would be to keep the weapon clean, magazines should be clean and oil FREE and ammo should be of a reliable manufacturer."

That's how these weapons started out, clean/lightly-oiled receivers yet were constantly jamming.
I don't shoot reloaded ammo. I use store bought name-brand bullets.

If you've fired 'thousands of rounds' from your guns without a misfeed I'd say you're fortunate.

My M-16 was clean enough to get by the first-sargeant's inspection.
Yet jammed on the range after only a few shots.

I don't soak the loaded magazine in a can of oil...just lightly coat the ammo with rem-oil. That has drastically reduced misfeeds.

There is a little tongue (I'm no gunsmith) that sits between the magazine and the chamber. My guess is dry ammo & dry tongue = failure to load.

Anybody ever file the edge of that tongue a little to improve feed?

sixhundredrr
04-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Isn't that your feedramp? Most people polish that. As for the failures, you must have been unfortunate. Modern pistols and rifles have improved.

UTPD#5
04-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Were your M16's the SP1 variant with a triangular handguard and no forward assist?

The RAMP you are describing should be SMOOTH and very shiny...I would never consider filing it myself...maybe polish it with some rubbing compound or Flitz for a mirror smooth finish.

I understand the rem oil aids in the feeding, but, that oil is designed to pentrate...thus, making ammo not reliable.

I may be fortunate, but, the fact is I set my magazines up to fail so I can train to recover from a malfunction...but, with mags loaded and shooting to shoot I literally have had only a handful of issues.

I generally shoot SIG's, what type of pistol are you shooting?

I agree with your comment earlier...a revolver always "feed" fine. LOL

Shoot me an email if I can be of any help...good luck!

Grouchy Hippo
04-28-2008, 10:47 PM
I guess I was lucky and careful enough with my M16 because I never had a jam. Of course my primary job was not to fire it but to operate the radio so I did not fire as many rounds as others did.

dmharvey
04-28-2008, 11:33 PM
In 1970 the Army was using the M16A1 rifle. Problems I see with the newer rifles include -

Failure to feed - bad magazine, or dirty rifle.

Failure to chamber - same as above.

Failure to lock - damaged locking lugs or dirty rifle.

Failure to fire - broken firing pin or bad spring in trigger group.

Failure to extract - broken extractor claw or bad extractor spring.

Failure to eject - bad ejector spring.

Failure to cock - bad trigger group component.

I can't speak on the M16A1, they're a little before my time, but I don't see a whole lot of problems with the infantry rifles we're using today (M16A2 and M4A2).

Understanding a weapon's cycle of operation helps a person understand what is going on when something isn't working right. I preach this stuff to my soldiers because there might not always be somebody there to yell at them and/or walk them through a problem... :yikes:

Norton
04-29-2008, 06:43 AM
First mark your magazines so you know which one or ones are jamming. Clean them, do not oil. Use factoey ammo. Get some pics as to exactly what is occuring. Describe in detail where and how the case/bullet is jammed. Is it ejection related? Feed? If you use a brand new magazine does the problem go away?
If your really using clips that is your problem.
Norton

remingtondude58
04-29-2008, 07:49 PM
My solution was to lightly 'oil' the bullets before loading the clip...then maybe a drop or two of rem-oil on the top round & let it drip down if it's gonna drip.

You should not oil your rounds because it can create to much backward force when the shot is fired. At least thats what reloading manuals say will happen if you dont wipe the lube off your reloads so i would assume oiling the rounds would do the same thing

Susquash
05-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Tootie,
Never oil ammo or magazines just as the other posts advised as this will lead to problems of gumming, holding dirt and possibly killling the primers of your ammo so it does not go bang when you need it. Magazines should be wiped out with a dry cloth but no oil should be added. The same is true of modern pistols. We tell our recruits they don't need more than a drop of oil to lube their pistols after they are clean. Sounds like the advice you already received is right on the money.