PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions about buying a rifle and target shooting

Steve_I
05-13-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm thinking about getting into target shooting and I'm looking for advise on a cheaper (Less than 300$, hopefully less than 200$) rifle. I would really like a gun that is fun to shoot, uses affordable ammo, and has the power to harvest a whitetail or a wild hog. I'm also looking for general advise about the sport, such as what distance to focus on shooting, etc.

I have been looking at old rifles like the SMLE Lee-Enfield, Mosin Nagant, Mauser, etc. They seem like they would be fun to shoot and would be an interesting relic to boot. Am I on the wrong track here? I have read about the low quality of wartime firearms, as producers focused on volume. I have also seen some people report that these guns can out-shoot modern arms. Seems like this market may be hit-and-miss.

I have also been looking at SKS and AK47 rifles, although it seems harder to find a nice one in my price range. The ammo should be cheaper than for the rifles listed above, but is it enough to worry about? Also, SKS and AK47s don't strike me as a rifle someone would hunt with, so I'm wondering about that as well. Also, I understand with SKS and AKs that a shooter would be doing 100m targets, while the others in the previous paragraph can easily work the 200m targets.

Should I be looking at more modern bolt action rifles here? Mossberg 100ATR?

I guess I will need a decent pair of binoculars for shooting 100yds+ as well eh? Anything else I should consider before jumping into this sport?

RifleGuy
05-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Good morning Steve! When you say target shooting, can I safely assume you mean casual, informal target shooting as opposed to competitive shooting? If i am correct, I think you would really enjoy the Mosin-Nagant. I have an M44 that is a real hoot. I know a guy who has harvested several deer with his; he said the deer drop decisively when hit and have never voiced any complaints about not being dead enough.
Also, you may find it worth your time to look at Savage; they market a bolt action under the Stevens nameplate, I think it's the model 200, but it is simply the old pre-Accutrigger model 110. I have two Savage 110's, both pre-Accutrigger, both very accurate. You can grab a new Stevens 200 for under $300. There are a few after-market triggers that install easily if you find the factory trigger insufficient for your needs.
Just a couple of possibilities for you.
Welcome to MGO, and good luck!

Steve_I
05-13-2008, 12:37 AM
When you say target shooting, can I safely assume you mean casual, informal target shooting as opposed to competitive shooting?

Yes, just casual shooting. I'm sure it is quite expensive to compete eh? I appreciate the advise! My local shop has a Mosin-Nagant in really good shape for 200$ but I have noticed that on gunbroker they sell for a bit cheaper. Out of curiosity, how is the kick on the MN?

RifleGuy
05-13-2008, 01:00 AM
The round is quite similar to a 30-06 in energy, etc., and recoil is in that realm. A shoulder injury has left me a bit recoil sensitive, but I still shoot my Nagant; I just add a slip-on recoil pad and wear a blue-jean jacket.
Also, check Dunham's Sports; they usually have a decent selection of Nagants on hand for reasonable prices.

Roger Roney
05-13-2008, 01:16 AM
You threw a curve there Steve. Your title stated target shooting, and before you finish the second sentence, you throw in hunting. :lol: Yea, I know, it's "live moving" target shooting, but it changed the range of available rifles. :lol:

Getting a hunting license requires a Hunter Safety Course Certificate, so you might look into taking a class. I know there used to be a shooting part, and depending on the class, sometimes a variety of firearms were available. Don't know if it is still done, as I heard somewhere that it isn't.(?)

Roger

Steve_I
05-13-2008, 11:21 AM
You threw a curve there Steve. Your title stated target shooting, and before you finish the second sentence, you throw in hunting. :lol: Yea, I know, it's "live moving" target shooting, but it changed the range of available rifles. :lol:

Getting a hunting license requires a Hunter Safety Course Certificate, so you might look into taking a class. I know there used to be a shooting part, and depending on the class, sometimes a variety of firearms were available. Don't know if it is still done, as I heard somewhere that it isn't.(?)

Roger

I'm moving on down to SC as soon as I graduate in June. The hunters safety course there are available online, which of course I plan on doing at some before I harvest some meat. They have a huge wild hog population down there which is also invasive, so I'm looking to try harvesting one. Theres always my bow if I can't decide on a decent rifle though.

Another curve ball: I'm open to the idea of a .22 rimfire or similar, especially with the intention of getting my wife into shooting. Indecisive here but if i can get them cheap enough maybe I'll go for a Mosin Nagant and a .22? Was that more along the lines of what you were thinking of Roger? PS:your pm box is full.

RifleGuy
05-13-2008, 02:32 PM
A .22 would be excellent; inexpensive to shoot and a lot of fun! The Ruger 10/22 is nice right out of the box in base trim, and there is a huge quantity of aftermarket accessories if you decide to customize one and "doll it up" a bit.

Then again, a plain Marlin 60 is also inexpensive and tough to beat for reliable function and great accuracy.

Or.. or... sigh, so many options with a .22!

remingtondude58
05-13-2008, 08:07 PM
I have a SKS and I have shot a mossin and I think they are both great. The 7.62x39 round is very inexpensive and the SKS has hardly any recoil. Both ATI and Tapco and probaly other companies make great stocks for both rifles. If using a SKS you will need to take out the stock fixed mag and put in a detachable 5 round because semi autos in michigan cant hold over 5+1 for hunting. You might be able to block the stock fixed mag but the DNR says the magazine must be blocked so it has to be disassembled to put in more then 5+1 because the SKS stock fixed mag open how it does I dont know how you could block the stcok mag. Those are both great rifles but if you want to be more modern I am sure you could find a cheap used rifle in your price range. Another thing about the SKS and mossin is they would be hard to operate as a lefty so if you are a lefty like me you might not want to go with them but it is not to bad.

Roger Roney
05-14-2008, 02:51 AM
I'm moving on down to SC as soon as I graduate in June. The hunters safety course there are available online....Forgot about your moving, :lol: but I think MI's course is also online.
Was that more along the lines of what you were thinking of Roger? PS:your pm box is full.Yes and thanks. I keep forgetting to clean it out, this oldtimers disease & CRS are a pain. :lol: :lol:

Roger

remingtondude58
05-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Forgot about your moving, :lol: but I think MI's course is also online.

you can take the course on line in michigan but must go to take the test

TAC
05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I haven't been hunting in years, but I think Michigan still has a restriction on where you can hunt deer with a rifle. I'm sure someone knowledgeable with the current law will chime in here.

remingtondude58
05-15-2008, 07:56 PM
yes michigan does restrict where you can hunt with a rifle

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_10913-31537--,00.html