PDA

View Full Version : House approves hunting, fishing and trapping license restructuring

Tallbear
09-10-2013, 11:45 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 10, 2013

Contact: Amy Trotter, Michigan United Conservation Clubs, (517) 346-6484 or atrotter@mucc.org

MUCC Applauds Steps to Overhaul License System and Invest in Fisheries and Wildlife Management

House approves hunting, fishing and trapping license restructuring, which now heads to the Governor’s desk

LANSING—As the last piece of the natural resource budget puzzle for Fiscal Year 2014, the Michigan House of Representatives just concurred in the Senate amendments to House Bill 4668, a bill which would implement a fairly substantial overhaul of the state's hunting, fishing and trapping license system. Upon the Governor’s approval, the new prices will go into effect when the new license year sales begin on March 1, 2014.

The new license system is intended to provide users with a simpler, easier-to-use system. Michigan United Conservation Clubs’ Executive Director Erin McDonough said “MUCC is very much in support of a simplified structure and made every effort to ensure this licensing system does not impede hunters, anglers or trappers from participating and that we know how these funds are being used. We have worked with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Natural Resources Commission for the last several years on increasing transparency and accountability to make sure we are getting the biggest bang for our bucks.”

The proposed structure would include a required $10 "base" hunting license that allows the holder to hunt small game, and then tags would be available to purchase for waterfowl ($12), turkey ($15), deer ($20), bear ($25), and fur harvesters ($15), while elk and wolf licenses would still be $100 each. On the fishing side, they have simplified the license system to only have one fishing license, good for all species, for $25. Seniors 65 and older will maintain their 60 percent discount for fishing and the base hunting license, as well as turkey, deer, and fur harvester tags. The full price sheet is available here (http://cts.vresp.com/c/?MichiganUnitedConser/6cb8efbd4c/a1ff9884d1/f8e63eb993/utm_content=mthiede%40migunowners.org&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=full%20price%20sheet%20is%20available%20h ere&utm_campaign=RELEASE%3A%20MUCC%20Applauds%20Passag e%20of%20License%20Fee%20Restructuring) with additional information on juniors, non-residents and other special licenses. These changes to the system are expected to bring in an additional $18 million when fully implemented.

In addition to the regular license prices, there will also be an added $1 surcharge on the base hunting and fishing licenses, which is intended to generate another $1.6 million to be used for marketing, education, and outreach. Modeled after a similar funding stream in Colorado, this restricted fund will be dedicated specifically to a public awareness campaign about the benefits of hunting, fishing, and trapping to Michigan, and cannot be diverted for other uses. A new piece of legislation will be introduced shortly to create an independent citizen-based council to oversee and manage this new fund.

Kent Wood, MUCC’s Legislative Affairs Manager, said “Michigan’s sportsmen and women have been funding natural resources management efforts since licenses were first sold, but there is a need to educate the general public, who may have little knowledge or appreciation of our rich sporting heritage, about all that we do for conservation. We appreciate Representative Jon Bumstead’s (R-Newaygo) leadership on both the license fee package and this new public education effort.”

###
Founded in 1937, Michigan United Conservation Clubs (MUCC) is the largest state-specific conservation organization in the country. Its mission is to unite citizens to conserve, protect and enhance Michigan’s natural resources and outdoor heritage.

Shyster
09-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Interesting. This plan will actually SAVE me money. By the time I paid for all my licenses including the Pte. Mouille access fee I was at almost $100

Magnum Man
09-11-2013, 05:45 AM
The increases are excessive and the deer hunters are bearing the brunt of them. The projected decrease of 7% in license sales will end up being much greater. I also see that the sportsperson's discount will be eliminated. The end result will be a dramatic decrease in license sales with a trickle down effect to the economy affecting the bottom line of many businesses.

Magnum Man
09-11-2013, 05:53 AM
Interesting. This plan will actually SAVE me money. By the time I paid for all my licenses including the Pte. Mouille access fee I was at almost $100
Do you buy four or more licenses? If so did you factor in the loss of the 15% sportspersons discount?

TomE
09-11-2013, 06:25 AM
Combo hunt & fish for $75 sounds interesting

Magnum Man
09-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Combo hunt & fish for $75 sounds interesting
Yes it does. I would like to know exactly what it includes.

pkuptruck
09-11-2013, 06:33 AM
The increases are excessive and the deer hunters are bearing the brunt of them. The projected decrease of 7% in license sales will end up being much greater. I also see that the sportsperson's discount will be eliminated. The end result will be a dramatic decrease in license sales with a trickle down effect to the economy affecting the bottom line of many businesses.

this!

I really dont mind the increase, as such. what I do find abhorent and without merit, is the fact that hunters/fisherman are bearing the ENTIRE burden of Michigans Natural Resources... The horse riders, ATV, bicyclists, hikers, joggers, birdwatchers, etc will see NO increase in their endeavors...

and that is just flat out wrongheaded...

Hawgrider
09-11-2013, 07:31 AM
this!

I really dont mind the increase, as such. what I do find abhorent and without merit, is the fact that hunters/fisherman are bearing the ENTIRE burden of Michigans Natural Resources... The horse riders, ATV, bicyclists, hikers, joggers, birdwatchers, etc will see NO increase in their endeavors...

and that is just flat out wrongheaded...Yeah but we carry guns. So of course were going to take the brunt of it.
Look who is going to sign it into law -Dick Synder the liberal republican. Gimme Gimme Gimme all on the working mans back. Everyone else takes the free ride.

edited - So lets see..... It will cost me 50 bucks for my wife and I to go fish for bluegills 3 times a year.
It will cost me 10 for the base license(small game) To bag a squirrel or two. $40 for the combo deer tag and 20 bucks a pop for private lad doe tags if there is any.

$50 Fish= I only fish 3 times per year.
$10 Small game= I bag 3 or 4 squirrels a year if I even go.
$40 Combo= buck tags Rarely do I fill both buck tags.
$60 Does permits= On average I fill 3 if its a decent year.
$1 surcharge per tag =$5

total $165= is BULL! The meat market is looking like the way to go for a hell of a lot less work. I'll just go into the the woods to take pictures. Way to go Michigan Screw the people trying to supplement the food bills thru hunting.

And they all ready suspect a drop of 7% license sales due to the increases. Way to keep hunters hunting Michigan!

*Proposal assumes 7% decline in license sales due to resistance to license fee changes. http://www.mucc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Hunting_FishingLicenseFeeProposal-as-amended.pdf

Shyster
09-11-2013, 09:11 AM
My 2013 license:

Spring Turkey $12.75
Combo Restricted Deer $12.75
Combo Regular Deer $12.75
Annual Waterfowl $5.00
Annual Area Use Waterfowl $13.00
All Species Fish $23.80
RES Small Game $12.75
Total $92.80

TomE
09-11-2013, 09:33 AM
I paid $15 for a small game,I was wanting a private land license but they were sold out in 45 minutes with a hour wait in the store.

My friend went online and finally got through at 10:47 and he couldn't get a private land for our area
I could have entered the draw for privae land and got it that way for the extra $4
I was going to buy the all specie fish and combo deer license to get the discount that's going away but I changed my priorities . I'll wait to see if any deer are spotted while pat hunting next week

I've already reduced my license fees in advance

A farm in Ravenna found 15 dead deer a couple days ago, EHD is Baaack!

Pyzik
09-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Since I only fish and don't hunt, looks like it'll save me money some years but cost more most years. (I only go for Trout/Salmon every once in a while).

Eh. If it's better for the "sport" then so be it.

Hawgrider
09-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Since I only fish and don't hunt, looks like it'll save me money some years but cost more most years. (I only go for Trout/Salmon every once in a while).

Eh. If it's better for the "sport" then so be it.No Offense...
but I call it a way of life not a sport. For QDM deer hunters, Bass tournament, trout fishermen its a sport. For meat hunters its a harvest.

Pyzik
09-11-2013, 11:31 AM
No Offense...
but I call it a way of life not a sport. For QDM deer hunters, Bass tournament, trout fishermen its a sport. For meat hunters its a harvest.
I meant providing money toward conservation efforts here in MI to keep land available to the animals and us, as hunters, fishers & gatherers.

No offense taken, I hope I did not offend you either.

:cheers:

Magnum Man
09-11-2013, 11:36 AM
The combo hunt & fish license is the same price as buying the licenses separately.

Barrettone
09-12-2013, 06:43 PM
this!

Hey...this same bill raised my ATV stickers from $16 to $26, AND they added a "state trail" fee of $10 if you want to go on them, so my rate increased 225%!!! So don't say I'm not paying too!!! Please get all the facts first!!!

gjgalligan
09-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Hey...this same bill raised my ATV stickers from $16 to $26, AND they added a "state trail" fee of $10 if you want to go on them, so my rate increased 225%!!! So don't say I'm not paying too!!! Please get all the facts first!!!

Snowmobilers have been getting hit with double fees for years.

I haven't been seeing any increase in the deer herd for a long time, what has all the money in the past been spent on???????

This new fee system might just hurt license sales more then it helps. I think I will give up deer hunting anyways.

DP425
09-12-2013, 07:32 PM
this!

Actually, another state (don't remember which) just recently passed a land use law totally restructuring their ORV licenses into an actual vehicle plate with annual registration stickers for ORV use and an optional registration sticker for on-road use when made to comply with vehicle light and signal requirements. I'd totally go for something like this and I'd be fine paying double the current ORV tag fee!

DP425
09-12-2013, 07:34 PM

Damn... Now that does kind of suck. I am going to pay over double... but I still can't ride on most roads. WTF?

Made_in_Michigan
09-12-2013, 08:41 PM
I wonder how many people this will be the last straw for and they will simply stop buying licenses lowering overall income...

For the fisherman with several members of his family requiring licenses and who does not salmon fish, this is *edited smiley because of PC nonsense* almost doubling cost.

I was going to go on, but *removed smiley* on em, its not worth it.

God I'm getting sick of this

Flash in the back of my head from a guy i met once who told me that the world changes at a pace that when you get old enough, you are sick of all the changes and are ready to go.
I didn't think I was that old. Guess I'm close.

luckless
09-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Don't forget the windshield sticker you will have to have in order to park at the trail head.

luckless
09-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Our Representative visited our club to ask what sportsmen thought could be done to improve the licensing in Michigan. NONE of this was discussed yet his office claims that support for the higher fees and more spending runs 9 to 1.

Anybody here ever get 9 out of ten hunters to agree on ANYTHING to do with hunting?

Personally, I believe this is just window dressing to cover their legacy funding.

bkglad
09-13-2013, 07:54 AM
I understand this sucks. But I wish we would go to the Ohio system of hunting. This will be my first year of hunting Ohio. 125 for a licenses and you only get one buck tag. Love it

Magnum Man
09-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Our Representative visited our club to ask what sportsmen thought could be done to improve the licensing in Michigan. NONE of this was discussed yet his office claims that support for the higher fees and more spending runs 9 to 1.

Anybody here ever get 9 out of ten hunters to agree on ANYTHING to do with hunting?

Personally, I believe this is just window dressing to cover their legacy funding.
My state representative claimed I was the only one to call in opposition to the increases yet everyone I talk to is opposed to it.

UpNorthWOLF
09-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Have not hunted in many years...while I have fished, it is catch and release. The higher fishing price may make me rethink that.

gjgalligan
09-15-2013, 12:37 PM
I wonder how long before the DNR will require a license to take pictures of wild game?
I'll bet the MUCC would endorse that too!

Ironsides68
09-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Legislation like this is why I stopped support ing the MUCC years ago.

luckless
09-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem that the republican party really hates us?

Jackam
09-18-2013, 01:54 PM
My 2013 license:

Spring Turkey $12.75
Combo Restricted Deer $12.75
Combo Regular Deer $12.75
Annual Waterfowl $5.00
All Species Fish $23.80
RES Small Game $12.75
Total $92.80

My 2013 license:

Spring Turkey $12.75
Combo Restricted Deer $0
Combo Regular Deer $0
Annual Waterfowl $0
All Species Fish $0
RES Small Game $0
Fur bearers Permit $0
Bear Permit application $0
All species fish $0
Total $25.75

I bragged to a legislator one time that I hadn't purchased a deer license in over 20 years and had shot one or two deer a year ever since. He said "Shhhh.... don't tell me that!" I then explained that my lifetime license covered it all. He had no idea that the State ever sold them. I suggested to him, like am now to all of you, to start looking at doing this type of thing again. They won't consider it (or even know it can be done) if you don't raise your voices.

Magnum Man
09-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem that the republican party really hates us?
Do you think the Democrats would be more favorable?

Magnum Man
09-19-2013, 09:42 PM
My 2013 license:

Spring Turkey $12.75
Combo Restricted Deer $0
Combo Regular Deer $0
Annual Waterfowl $0
All Species Fish $0
RES Small Game $0
Fur bearers Permit $0
Bear Permit application $0
All species fish $0
Total $25.75

I bragged to a legislator one time that I hadn't purchased a deer license in over 20 years and had shot one or two deer a year ever since. He said "Shhhh.... don't tell me that!" I then explained that my lifetime license covered it all. He had no idea that the State ever sold them. I suggested to him, like am now to all of you, to start looking at doing this type of thing again. They won't consider it (or even know it can be done) if you don't raise your voices.
There has been discussion about bringing back the lifetime license. It never really went anywhere though.

luckless
09-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Do you think the Democrats would be more favorable?
They were when Granholm was governor. We haven't gotten anything from the RINOs except lip service. Jenny had lower budgets and less taxes., too! What has this guy done for gun owners and hunters?

Magnum Man
09-20-2013, 09:11 AM
They were when Granholm was governor. We haven't gotten anything from the RINOs except lip service. Jenny had lower budgets and less taxes., too! What has this guy done for gun owners and hunters?
And look at the mess she left behind. Look at what 30+ years of Democratic control has done to Detroit. I'm sure if the state was under Democratic control we would have new gun control laws similar to what other states enacted in the wake of Sandy Hook.

Cackler
09-21-2013, 08:21 AM
People keep complaining about fees but often forget how much fun can be had afield.

Heck even though it was a less than stellar year, most anybody would gladly have paid a hundred bucks to be along on some of the early season goose hunts that I enjoyed.

What grinds me are the outrageous fees my son must pay to come home to Michigan to hunt w/ his Dad.

pkuptruck
09-21-2013, 02:08 PM
People keep complaining about fees but often forget how much fun can be had afield.

Heck even though it was a less than stellar year, most anybody would gladly have paid a hundred bucks to be along on some of the early season goose hunts that I enjoyed.

What grinds me are the outrageous fees my son must pay to come home to Michigan to hunt w/ his Dad.

not many are complaining about the FEES... its the INABILTY of the DNR/NRC to see WHO to charge fees TOO.

ie - birdie foks, canoers/kayakers/horse folks, bikers, hikers, etc..

The hunters/fisherman of the State foot the bill for just about ALL resource funding..

Cackler
09-21-2013, 02:22 PM
not many are complaining about the FEES... its the INABILTY of the DNR/NRC to see WHO to charge fees TOO.

ie - birdie foks, canoers/kayakers/horse folks, bikers, hikers, etc..

The hunters/fisherman of the State foot the bill for just about ALL resource funding..

And that is not likely to change significantly either.

Meanwhile, licensees will continue to pay to play.

Quite honestly, I take my outdoor recreation fairly seriously. I spent more than that hundred buck license fee just scouting early geese the first two weeks of September.

People will always whine, especially those that don't have the time to devote to being able to enjoy Michigan recreational opportunities.

luckless
09-22-2013, 06:07 AM
And look at the mess she left behind. Look at what 30+ years of Democratic control has done to Detroit. I'm sure if the state was under Democratic control we would have new gun control laws similar to what other states enacted in the wake of Sandy Hook.
We already have the gun control that other states passed after Sandy Hook. The RINOs in Lansing won't repeal them so they are no better than the liberals in other states that just passed them,. Taxes and spending are up and the size of government continues to swell. Not much different than Jenny, really, except she was willing to compromise with conservatives and signed every piece of pro gun legislation that made it to her desk.

I think it is very telling that this new law includes funding for more law enforcement to enforce the new rules as fewer and fewer people buy licenses to hunt and fish. Since fewer and fewer people hunt and fish, why do we need more and more law enforcement? If these new taxes are as popular with the people as they are with the legislators, no new law enforcement would be needed. Remember, they tell us 90% of sportsmen want these higher taxes.

pkuptruck
09-22-2013, 07:01 AM
<snip> If these new taxes are as popular with the people as they are with the legislators, no new law enforcement would be needed. Remember, they tell us 90% of sportsmen want these higher taxes.

they said the same with the mandatory QDM rules... Yet, the numbers dont jib with most people.. :shrugs:

Magnum Man
09-22-2013, 01:51 PM
We already have the gun control that other states passed after Sandy Hook. The RINOs in Lansing won'trepeal them so they are no better than the liberals in other states that just passed them,. Taxes and spending are up and the size of government continues to swell. Not much different than Jenny, really, except she was willing to compromise with conservatives and signed every piece of pro gun legislation that made it to her desk.

I think it is very telling that this new law includes funding for more law enforcement to enforce the new rules as fewer and fewer people buy licenses to hunt and fish. Since fewer and fewer people hunt and fish, why do we need more and more law enforcement? If these new taxes are as popular with the people as they are with the legislators, no new law enforcement would be needed. Remember, they tell us 90% of sportsmen want these higher taxes.
Really? I must have missed that. We have magazine capacity limitations like New York and Colorado and further restrictions like Connecticut and California?

luckless
09-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Really? I must have missed that. We have magazine capacity limitations like New York and Colorado and further restrictions like Connecticut and California?
We have the registration they just ended in Chicago.

shoxroxice
09-27-2013, 07:32 AM
The increased costs will drive a lot of people away from buying licenses. The fact is some of those folks will stop hunting/fishing, but there will be an increase in poaching.

Over the past several years, I haven't taken home a single deer... I really enjoy hunting and fishing but for the very few times I'm able to go each year - it's barely worth it right now.

TomE
09-27-2013, 09:33 AM
The salmon are in Newaygo now,and I haven't bought a fishing license yet .

For the time or 2 I might fish it was cheaper to sell off my fishing tackle and donate the waders, then buy fresh frozen salmon at the store.:boohoo::boohoo:

gjgalligan
09-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I really have a problem with the concept of having to buy a base license just to be able to buy a hunting license. I do not small game hunt so that part of it is useless.
The deer license that will cost $15 this year to set in the woods (and most likely see nothing!) will cost me $31 next year.

pkuptruck
09-27-2013, 10:31 AM
I really have a problem with the concept of having to buy a base license just to be able to buy a hunting license. I do not small game hunt so that part of it is useless.
The deer license that will cost $15 this year to set in the woods (and most likely see nothing!) will cost me $31 next year.

no one cares... as long as QDM is implimented across the entire State..
that is, apparently... all that the DNR is focused on..

And,like the forced QDM, opinions AGAINST Fees DO NOT matter...

gjgalligan
09-27-2013, 11:03 AM
If hunters want QDM how about one buck a year?
Or if they had any principles they would never shoot a buck that had a smaller rack then they had shot in the past. They don't eat horns after all.

pkuptruck
09-27-2013, 11:07 AM
If hunters want QDM how about one buck a year?
Or if they had any principles they would never shoot a buck that had a smaller rack then they had shot in the past. They don't eat horns after all.

they are organized.
they have money.

they will do what they want. regardless of anyone else.

and the DNR, is (apparently) pretty cheap to infuence..

flstc97
09-27-2013, 11:14 AM
they are organized.
they have money.

they will do what they want. regardless of anyone else.

and the DNR, is (apparently) pretty cheap to infuence.. MUCC is working against the guy who hunts for food instead of racks. And then there are guys like Cackler who thinks pay to play is justified for a God given right to harvest and eat!

TomE
09-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Is not this .org affiliated with both the MDNR and MUCC ?

pkuptruck
09-27-2013, 11:33 AM
MUCC is working against the guy who hunts for food instead of racks. And then there are guys like Cackler who thinks pay to play is justified for a God given right to harvest and eat!

MUCC is working to make itself rellevant again. it lost almost ALL its CLUB members a few years back.. opting to go for the individual money shot...

that didnt work. and now, most of the CLubs dont want them back.

if you notice, the MUCC State Shoots no longer exist...

there is a reason..

But they still manage to sell lawmakers that they ARE a force to recon with...

luckless
10-01-2013, 04:26 PM
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2013/10/belle_isle_leased_to_state_in.html

The DNR just leased Belle Isle from Detroit for about as much as they will gain from the higher hunting and fishing taxes.

Coincidence?

Hardly!

gjgalligan
10-01-2013, 05:01 PM
The state had to figure out a way to hand over more money to Detroit.
Good money into a garbage pit.

I emailed the heads of the DNR and MUCC last week about this new license crap. Neither one bothered to respond.

I really wish it was practical for me to move from this state.