PDA

View Full Version : Registration Reform Bill Sent to Senate Judiciary Committee

Tallbear
05-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Registration Reform Bill Sent to Senate Judiciary Committee!

House Bill 4490 sponsored by State Representative Paul Opsommer (R-93) and House Bill 4491 introduced by State Representative Joel Sheltrown (D-103) have passed the House and have been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee. A hearing date has not been scheduled yet.

The bills would repeal the required "safety inspection" for newly obtained handguns. Michigan law requires anyone who comes into possession of a pistol to take it to the police or sheriff's department for a safety inspection. The requirement of a safety inspection is a burdensome waste of time for law-abiding gun owners and the bills will end that inconvenience.

Please contact members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and respectfully urge them to support these necessary pieces of legislation. For committee member contact information please click here (http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.3086.30.285671).

two_hand_control
05-24-2008, 12:52 PM
MICHIGAN: Registration Reform Bill Sent to Senate Judiciary Committee! (http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.3086.30.285671) House Bill 4490 sponsored by State Representative Paul Opsommer (R-93) and House Bill 4491 introduced by State Representative Joel Sheltrown (D-103) have passed the House and have been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee. A hearing date has not been scheduled yet. The bills would repeal the required "safety inspection" for newly obtained handguns. Michigan law requires anyone who comes into possession of a pistol to take it to the police or sheriff's department for a safety inspection. The requirement of a safety inspection is a burdensome waste of time for law-abiding gun owners and the bills will end that inconvenience. Please contact members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and respectfully urge them to support these necessary pieces of legislation. For committee member contact information please click here (http://www.ilaalerts.org/UM/T.asp?A1.2.3086.30.285671).

Copyright 2008, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.

Please start flooding Senator Kuipers office with e-mails and phone calls to bring HB 4490 & 4491 to the table so the committee can vote on it and get it moving again, he need a big push, so lets give it to him on 6-2-2008. We can not let this bill die it is to close to becoming law.

Senate Judiciary Committee:

State Senator Wayne Kuipers – Chair
(517) 373-6920
senwkuipers@senate.michigan.gov

wishn-i-was-fishn
05-26-2008, 08:17 AM
There is and has been a lot of concern over "Safety Inspections" and registration reform. I think we can all agree the "Safety Inspection" is a shameful waste of time and is often used by some PDs to deliberately inconvenience gun owners. However these two bills as currently written are grossly deficient in addressing the root cause of this entire dilemma. The real problem is that we have a handgun registration and the safety inspection is simply a mechanism to fulfill the registration process. These bills DO NOT eliminate the registration process, instead they just make it more convenient for us to register our handguns.

Once it is easy and painless who will complain about registration anymore?
From what I read on this forum only a significant few even really care at all about registration, most are just frustrated only over the inconvenience of the safety inspection itself.

Our legislators could easily solve the "safety inspection" issue by introducing a meaningful bill that completely eliminates the registration process entirely.
Guess what..no registration results in no more safety inspection!!

Why is registration bad?
Registration is the first step to confiscation and is a means to control given segments of the population. In Michigan the registration scheme was introduced in 1927 as a means to control and monitor handgun ownership among the black population. Google Dr. Ossian Sweet to learn more about the historical facts that led to our current handgun registration.

WHAT IS REALLY BAD ABOUT THESE BILLS
Besides not eliminating registration, the bills puts the burden on you the purchaser to submit completed purchase permits or RI-60 forms to your local PD within 10 days of purchase. If you do not it is a misdemeanor punishable up to 90 days and $100. You can bet this will also effect ability to obtain a CPL. The bills are deficient in defining how the ten days will be determined if you mail the forms, will it be the date the PD receives the form in the mail or will it be the date your envelope is postmarked? What makes you think your local PD who is currently screwing you over on the "safety inspection" won't screw you over on this 10 day requirement.

Here the letter I sent by email to the Senate Judiciary committee.
If you agree with me that registration is bad I encourage you to also demand that we get a meaningful bill instead of the current crock of s___ bills before the judiciary committee.

Dear Senator,

I am writing in regard to HB4490 & 4491 which are before you for consideration.
As a gun owner, and registered voter I am asking you to reject these bills as written.

These bills are an attempt to address complaints about the current handgun “safety inspection” requirement in Michigan. The real problem with the so called safety inspection is that it is a thinly veiled disguise for a handgun registration. The proposed bills do not eliminate the registration scheme, they only make it more convenient for purchasers of handguns to comply with registration.

This proposed change in the registration process is about just as effective as gun free zones are at preventing violence.
Although not all, it is certain that a great deal of Michigan gun laws were acquired in one fell swoop, passed in 1927 with pressure from the KKK in response to the Dr. Ossian Sweet trials. The sole purpose and intent of the Michigan handgun registration process was to control and monitor handgun ownership among the black population in Michigan at that time. The handgun registration scheme in Michigan was pushed through under the false pretence of being a "safety inspection". If the only important thing was to be sure handguns purchased in the state were safe to operate, why was/is it necessary to keep records of who the handgun belong to? This entire process is a violation of the civil rights of every citizen in this state and should be completely eliminated on those grounds alone.

How many convicted felons and gangbangers do you suppose register their handguns? Only law abiding citizens dutifully obey registration laws. Registration does not prevent violence, or crime it only allows for a compiling of data that can be used at a later date to 'control' a given segment of the population. Registration has not, does not, and never will prevent criminals, felons or gangbangers from obtaining handguns or any other gun, knife or restricted item.

I request and encourage you to amend these bills to completely and entirely eliminate the requirement to maintain registration records of any firearms purchases in Michigan. Failing any opportunity to amend the bills, I request that you vote no on their passage.

Respectfully,

Daniel R. DiRienzo, Jr

langenc
05-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Good letter. "thinly disguised" is a kind way of putting it.

I am surprised at the number of 'supporters' that think streamlining the system is good. I know all discussions about 'one step' at a time. Once a committee has acted on something it is easy to say "we took care of that last year/blah blah" or whatever and then get no action for 4 more years. This needs to be fixed now and rid of of registration. Many posters here and elsewhere will argue that we dont have registration???? The MSP site even calls it what it is..point that out to your legislator.

two_hand_control
05-26-2008, 12:20 PM
There is and has been a lot of concern over "Safety Inspections" and registration reform. I think we can all agree the "Safety Inspection" is a shameful waste of time and is often used by some PDs to deliberately inconvenience gun owners. However these two bills as currently written are grossly deficient in addressing the root cause of this entire dilemma. The real problem is that we have a handgun registration and the safety inspection is simply a mechanism to fulfill the registration process. These bills DO NOT eliminate the registration process, instead they just make it more convenient for us to register our handguns.

Once it is easy and painless who will complain about registration anymore?
From what I read on this forum only a significant few even really care at all about registration, most are just frustrated only over the inconvenience of the safety inspection itself.

Our legislators could easily solve the "safety inspection" issue by introducing a meaningful bill that completely eliminates the registration process entirely.
Guess what..no registration results in no more safety inspection!!

Why is registration bad?
Registration is the first step to confiscation and is a means to control given segments of the population. In Michigan the registration scheme was introduced in 1927 as a means to control and monitor handgun ownership among the black population. Google Dr. Ossian Sweet to learn more about the historical facts that led to our current handgun registration.

WHAT IS REALLY BAD ABOUT THESE BILLS
Besides not eliminating registration, the bills puts the burden on you the purchaser to submit completed purchase permits or RI-60 forms to your local PD within 10 days of purchase. If you do not it is a misdemeanor punishable up to 90 days and $100. You can bet this will also effect ability to obtain a CPL. The bills are deficient in defining how the ten days will be determined if you mail the forms, will it be the date the PD receives the form in the mail or will it be the date your envelope is postmarked? What makes you think your local PD who is currently screwing you over on the "safety inspection" won't screw you over on this 10 day requirement.

Here the letter I sent by email to the Senate Judiciary committee.
If you agree with me that registration is bad I encourage you to also demand that we get a meaningful bill instead of the current crock of s___ bills before the judiciary committee.

Dear Senator,

I am writing in regard to HB4490 & 4491 which are before you for consideration.
As a gun owner, and registered voter I am asking you to reject these bills as written.

These bills are an attempt to address complaints about the current handgun “safety inspection” requirement in Michigan. The real problem with the so called safety inspection is that it is a thinly veiled disguise for a handgun registration. The proposed bills do not eliminate the registration scheme, they only make it more convenient for purchasers of handguns to comply with registration.

This proposed change in the registration process is about just as effective as gun free zones are at preventing violence.
Although not all, it is certain that a great deal of Michigan gun laws were acquired in one fell swoop, passed in 1927 with pressure from the KKK in response to the Dr. Ossian Sweet trials. The sole purpose and intent of the Michigan handgun registration process was to control and monitor handgun ownership among the black population in Michigan at that time. The handgun registration scheme in Michigan was pushed through under the false pretence of being a "safety inspection". If the only important thing was to be sure handguns purchased in the state were safe to operate, why was/is it necessary to keep records of who the handgun belong to? This entire process is a violation of the civil rights of every citizen in this state and should be completely eliminated on those grounds alone.

How many convicted felons and gangbangers do you suppose register their handguns? Only law abiding citizens dutifully obey registration laws. Registration does not prevent violence, or crime it only allows for a compiling of data that can be used at a later date to 'control' a given segment of the population. Registration has not, does not, and never will prevent criminals, felons or gangbangers from obtaining handguns or any other gun, knife or restricted item.

I request and encourage you to amend these bills to completely and entirely eliminate the requirement to maintain registration records of any firearms purchases in Michigan. Failing any opportunity to amend the bills, I request that you vote no on their passage.

Respectfully,

Daniel R. DiRienzo, Jr

After Reading your post I have had a change in my venue on these bills and I have sent all the members of the committee an e-mail asking them to do the same thing as you stated in your post. I have also posted on how to e-mail all of the committee do to the NRA only have phone numbers for two of the members. I still say we should flood them with e-mail and phone calls on the bills on 6-2-2008, to let them know how we fell and get things moving again.

Senate Judiciary Committee: 2007/2008

Senate Judiciary Committee:

State Senator Wayne Kuipers – Chair
(517) 373-6920
senwkuipers@senate.michigan.gov

State Senator Alan Cropsey (R-33)
(517) 373-3760
senacropsey@senate.michigan.gov

State Senator Alan Sanborn (R-11)
(517) 373-7670
senasanborn@senate.michigan.gov

State Senator Bruce Patterson (R-7)
(517) 373-7350
senbpatterson@senate.michigan.gov

State Senator Gretchen Whitmer (D-23)
517-373-1734
http://www.senate.mi.gov/whitmer

State Senator Hansen Clarke (D-1)
517-373-7346
http://www.senate.michigan.gov/clarke

State Senator Michael Pruse (D-38)
517-373-7840
senMPrusi@senate.mi.gov

YooperInCO
06-19-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm confused on what these bills actually do.

I've read where you'll still need a purchase permit to get handgun, is that right?
Then what? do I need to bring the gun in to the PD? or does the FFL throw the permit away once they see I have one?

What about out of state people moving to MI? Since they already own there guns, do they have to do anything?

What about private party transfers? Private party transfers where both are CPL holders?

After living in Colorado for the past 7 years, I wish this state would make the handgun and long gun laws more similar to Colorado.....one step at a time...I guess.

Roger Roney
06-19-2008, 03:28 AM
I'm confused on what these bills actually do.

I've read where you'll still need a purchase permit to get handgun, is that right?Yes
Then what? do I need to bring the gun in to the PD? or does the FFL throw the permit away once they see I have one?No, No, permit still has to go to the state.
What about out of state people moving to MI? Since they already own there guns, do they have to do anything?Yes, obtain purchase permits to buy the guns from themselves, effectively registering them. :lol:
What about private party transfers? Private party transfers where both are CPL holders?Still have forms to be submitted.
After living in Colorado for the past 7 years, I wish this state would make the handgun and long gun laws more similar to Colorado.....one step at a time...I guess.
Clarify please, use of "this state" threw me. Are you in CO, and that was just a "longing to be home" slip? :lol: With the "OoS, moving in" question, are you planning to move back, or just wishing you could? :lol:

BTW, to make it clear, even though I support the removal of the hassle of taking a gun in for a "safety inspection," the registration itself needs to be eliminated! As you said, one step at a time.

Roger

wishn-i-was-fishn
06-19-2008, 06:13 AM
BTW, to make it clear, even though I support the removal of the hassle of taking a gun in for a "safety inspection," the registration itself needs to be eliminated! As you said, one step at a time.

Roger

The problem is that the only reason, since 1927, for the "safety inspection" was to complete the registration of the handgun. The MI legislature in 1927 could never get the citizens to accept an outright registration so they did the smoke & mirrors trick and called it a safety inspection.

The easiest and most effective way to eliminate the hassels of safety inspection is to eliminate the root cause which is registration. If there is no registration the required the safety inspection immediately disappears!!

These bills are bullcrap and our legislators should be thrown out of office for these types of meaningless, deceitful tricks.

There will be no one step at a time solution here. Once the pain of safety inspection is gone there won't be enough gun owners complaining about registration to ever have it eliminated.

Shame, shame , shame on every gun owner who is willing to accept this kind of half-assed effort from our legislators and for being hoodwinked into believing they are doing something meaningful when they are in reality only playing slight of hand tricks on us.

By the way, I wonder how many gun owners who think these bills are so marvelous actually took the time to read and understand the bills? How many know about the inherent pitfalls of the revised system and burden on the gunowner to complete the registration process? About the potential misdemeanor charges, jail time and fines for not properly completing the registration process?

appliancebrad
06-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Shame, shame , shame on every gun owner who is willing to accept this kind of half-assed effort from our legislators and for being hoodwinked into believing they are doing something meaningful when they are in reality only playing slight of hand tricks on us.

By the way, I wonder how many gun owners who think these bills are so marvelous actually took the time to read and understand the bills? How many know about the inherent pitfalls of the revised system and burden on the gunowner to complete the registration process? About the potential misdemeanor charges, jail time and fines for not properly completing the registration process?

No sir, shame on you for being ignorant of the legislative process. Following your line of thinking, we never would have gotten Shall Issue, the removal of ANY misdemeanor being a disqualified for a CPL for 5 years, being allowed to carry in places that make less than 50% of their revenue from alcohol sales, removal of the requirement to be re-fingerprinted every 5 years, exemption from NICS checks for CPL holders and on and on and on.

How many Committee hearings have you attended? How many Legislators call you and ask for your personal input on a gun Bill? When was the last time your State Rep stood in front of a room full of people and thanked YOU for being the one person in the state of Michigan who caught a big whoops in a gun gun Bill and stopped the voting on it until it got fixed.

I work with the legislature every day. Frankly, I sometimes just want to say screw it when I hear crap like what you posted. If you want to just tell legislators that they should just go screw themselves, go ahead. See how far it gets you.

One of the biggest headaches we deal with is departments and cities that have restricted hours for purchase permits and registrations. This Bill blows that problem away for CPL holders in one swoop. No longer will someone who works out of town have to take a day off to register their guns. And then another because the department keeps them overnight or for days. No longer will a collector have their valuable, unfired pistol marred, scratched or otherwise vandalized by some ham handed clerk.

I don't like registration and I'll continue to fight to end it. However, this is the best we are going to get with the Dem's in control of the House and Governor's Mansion. Look at the number of pro gun bills we passed in the 2004-2006 Session. Then look how many we've passed in the 2006-2008 Session. Big difference. Just wait until Obama is in the Oval Office. You better start stocking up on cosmoline and PVC pipe.

OK, I'm done. Rant off

YooperInCO
06-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Clarify please, use of "this state" threw me. Are you in CO, and that was just a "longing to be home" slip? :lol: With the "OoS, moving in" question, are you planning to move back, or just wishing you could? :lol:

Roger

Just moved back. When I left, we still had may-issue CCW permits in this state. I know things are getting better, but they're still pretty harsh.

Oh, one more.....can anyone legally borrow a handgun from another, either now or after this law passes? With / without CPL's?

appliancebrad
06-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Oh, one more.....can anyone legally borrow a handgun from another, either now or after this law passes? With / without CPL's?

With a CPL (the borrower) Yes. Without one No.

dougwg
06-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Easy guys, aren't we all on the same side?

wishn-i-was-fishn
06-19-2008, 12:02 PM
No sir, shame on you for being ignorant of the legislative process. Following your line of thinking, we never would have gotten Shall Issue, the removal of ANY misdemeanor being a disqualified for a CPL for 5 years, being allowed to carry in places that make less than 50% of their revenue from alcohol sales, removal of the requirement to be re-fingerprinted every 5 years, exemption from NICS checks for CPL holders and on and on and on.

Sir,
I do understand the legislative process and I regularly write and call my legislators and encourage others to do the same. I am the the individual who single handly got involved, contacted my township officials, went toe to toe with them and solicted the help of Jim Simmons and others to fight the Waterford Township Library gun ban. I am a hardcore supporter of the second amendment. I also know about the need for compromise and negotiation in politics, but that does not change the fact that these bills are ********. No amount of whitewash, sugar coating or perfume is going to change the fact that they stink. We are bing short changed, lied to, and patronized by people we pay to do a better job for us.

Q. Why do we have a safety inspection?
A. It is the vehicle for handgun registration.

Q. Why do we have registration?
A. To control a segment of the population. In this case it was originally to control blacks in Michigan following the Dr. Ossian Sweet murder trials.

Q. How many crimes has the handgun registration process in Michigan prevented or solved?

Q. How many criminals register their guns?

Q. Why do the police need to know which law abiding citizens own guns?

Q. How is continuing a racist inspired handgun registration scheme (with or without the safety inspection) not a violation of my civil rights?

Q. How is continuing a racist inspired handgun registration going to make my community, this state and society at large safer?

Q. Wouldn't the residents of this state be better served in these dire economic times by eliminating a needles bureaucratic process and freeing up the funds currently used to manage it?

Unfortunatley, I must still work a full time job during normal business hours and cannot readlily show up in person at committee meetings in Lansing. I thank you your committment and ability to do so. I am sure that for the most part you and I would see eye to eye on second amendment issues and that we would also agree in many instances on the need for compromise and incremental steps to reach our goals. But not in this case.

I stand by my original position, Shame, shame, shame on gunowners in this state who aren't demanding better from the legislature.

appliancebrad
06-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Unfortunatley, I must still work a full time job during normal business hours and cannot readlily show up in person at committee meetings in Lansing. I thank you your committment and ability to do so. I am sure that for the most part you and I would see eye to eye on second amendment issues and that we would also agree in many instances on the need for compromise and incremental steps to reach our goals. But not in this case.

I stand by my original position, Shame, shame, shame on gunowners in this state who aren't demanding better from the legislature.

I'm sure we would too. My patience sometimes grows thin though. I really wish that it was as easy as just taking the GOA's stance and never backing down never compromising. However, I can speak from personal experience that their way doesn't work.

I too work a full time job. In fact, because I'm self employed, I work about 1.5 full time jobs. When i want to take time off to go to testify before a Committee, I either give up income for the day or half day or I pay someone to replace me. Gun rights are important enough to me that I'm willing to do so. Gun rights adds another 20 hours per week to my already full schedule.

This Bill is going to run, it's going to pass and the governor is going to sign it. The reason that is fairly certain is that the Dem's from swing and marginal districts need a gun Bill to go home and campaign on. Rep. Opsommer and Sen Richardville have worked hard to get a Republican sponsored Bill passed in an overwhelmingly Democrat environment. The original form would have ended registration and blew away the records. That just wasn't happening. It just wasn't.

I'm satisfied with what we are getting here. The reason for that is that over 100 cities and towns that we've identified will no longer be able to flat out defy the law and the AG on making registration as difficult as possible. No longer will they say that they will only do registrations for 3 hours, one day a week. it will also help CPL numbers because even people who have no desire to ever carry a gun for self defense will see the value in using an RI-60 and then mailing in the registration.

Help me win back the House and the Senate plus the governor's Office in 2010 and I'll give you gun Bills that you'll like. Without that, we'll take what we can get.

Thank you for your work on the library issue. having had that experience, you might better understand my frustration with gun owners who bitch but never work to fix the problem. If gunnies had supported Dick DeVos in 2006, I'd have a much easier job right now.

wishn-i-was-fishn
06-19-2008, 03:53 PM
If gunnies had supported Dick DeVos in 2006, I'd have a much easier job right now.

Amen to that!!!

KayL
06-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by appliancebrad
If gunnies had supported Dick DeVos in 2006, I'd have a much easier job right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishn-i-was-fishn
Amen to that!!!

I did what I could, but my one vote just wasn't enough. Too many dammm women voted for a dammmm woman just to have a dammmmmm woman as governor. Now that's stupid. And we got stupid in office.

karcent
06-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I can't believe that anyone calling themselves a gun rights activist can support HB 4490 and SB 370 in their current form.
This is in NO way a stepping stone to end registration.
Gun owners are losing way more ground with this crap.
I'm disgusted.

RS2
06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
But wait ... we'll no longer have the Green Cards to debate endlessly the need to carry in our wallets.

The inspection requirement has certainly been an annoyance and an inconvenience which shall not be missed. I agree, however, that this legislation will not facilitate an end to handgun registration in this State.

Super Trucker
06-25-2008, 08:40 PM
I can't believe that anyone calling themselves a gun rights activist can support HB 4490 and SB 370 in their current form.
This is in NO way a stepping stone to end registration.
Gun owners are losing way more ground with this crap.
I'm disgusted.

Not to sound like a dick, but how do you figure it is not an improvement?

Every time I buy a new gun I am forced to take an entire day off work. I can't just step out between 10:00 and 2:00 two days a week, read it costs me $225.00 to go register the thing. So I am thinking if I don't have to make that trip it is better.

If they wanted the registration stopped it would have many years ago.

I am personally sick of wasting money on the existing system.

bassplayer
06-25-2008, 08:47 PM
But wait ... we'll no longer have the Green Cards to debate endlessly the need to carry in our wallets.

The inspection requirement has certainly been an annoyance and an inconvenience which shall not be missed. I agree, however, that this legislation will not facilitate an end to handgun registration in this State.

Did you miss the latest MSP memo from June 16, 2008 (Mr. Linkage, please!) ??? You don't have to have the green cards once you've registered your gun...

karcent
06-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Not to sound like a dick, but how do you figure it is not an improvement?

Every time I buy a new gun I am forced to take an entire day off work. I can't just step out between 10:00 and 2:00 two days a week, read it costs me $225.00 to go register the thing. So I am thinking if I don't have to make that trip it is better.

If they wanted the registration stopped it would have many years ago.

I am personally sick of wasting money on the existing system.

Read this analysis:
http://legislature.mi.gov/documents/2007-2008/billanalysis/House/pdf/2007-HLA-0370-5.pdf

....and you'll see that this legislation broadly expands the State Handgun Registration scheme.
It may not hurt as much up front, but it's a BIG step backward for all of us.
If this bill becomes law, registration will NEVER go away in Michigan.

RS2
06-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Did you miss the latest MSP memo from June 16, 2008 (Mr. Linkage, please!) ??? You don't have to have the green cards once you've registered your gun...

Eh, yeah ... I was being facetious.

I never said they had to be carried, quite the contrary; just that folks here have endlessly debated the issue.

wishn-i-was-fishn
06-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Read this analysis:
http://legislature.mi.gov/documents/2007-2008/billanalysis/House/pdf/2007-HLA-0370-5.pdf

....and you'll see that this legislation broadly expands the State Handgun Registration scheme.
It may not hurt as much up front, but it's a BIG step backward for all of us.
If this bill becomes law, registration will NEVER go away in Michigan.

I have been against these bills, in their current form, from the beginning.

The politicians involved will tell you they did something good for you by eliminating safety inspections but all they really are doing is creating a whole new and unnecessary set of obstacles.

We have problems now not because of safety inspections but because of registration which is the root cause of the safety inspections. The problem needs to be fixed by eliminating the root cause.

Made_in_Michigan
06-25-2008, 10:46 PM
I have been against these bills, in their current form, from the beginning.

The politicians involved will tell you they did something good for you by eliminating safety inspections but all they really are doing is creating a whole new and unnecessary set of obstacles.

We have problems now not because of safety inspections but because of registration which is the root cause of the safety inspections. The problem needs to be fixed by eliminating the root cause.

Agreed 100%.. Originally, I was one of the ones who after reading this bill, jumped on the bandwagon to get it passed. Once however, I did my homework, and was informed by quality folks such as WiwF, I understand this more fully and have sent letters to those in the Senate requesting they take the extra step to eliminate the registration process all together. Man, I tell you, you really have to do your homework on every little thing that comes along in government to actually understand it. Knowing that 99.9% of US citizens don't care, pay attention, or research anything, explains to me in great detail how our country has gotten to the place it is in.

dougwg
06-26-2008, 12:04 AM
All free men should be aghast, bewildered and enraged at any American with the gall to propose such a bill containing this many foul words.

Require licenses and sales records
pistol entry database
Require persons
penalty
violating
infraction
Require license for possession of pistol. (permission slip to own a gun)
Issuance of licenses by police or sheriff departments. (If they want to , if not, too bad! )
licensing authority.
Civil infraction and fine
pistol entry database
possession of license (make sure you keep your permission slip with you)
Maintenance of sales records and entry of information into pistol entry database.
show a peace officer his or her concealed weapon license and driver license (Your papers please! )
Comply (or what?)

All that bad and only the following, a single good, encompasses this bill.
"Repeal safety inspection certificate requirement."

It saddens me to think any true American could be in support of a bill like this one.

:banghead:

PhotoTom
06-26-2008, 03:11 AM

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26948

:)

bailenforcer
06-27-2008, 11:24 AM
I remember when I took my New Colt 45 combat commander in for a Safety inspection and the cop said the Pachmeyer grips were a safety hazzard and refused to certify the brand new gun. I was forced to buy grips and take it back.

So how can someone who only carries a gun because it's part of his living know a darn thing? I was a gun dealer for 21 years and gun smith. I can not even count how many times a COP brought me a gun and said it was broke. When I took it apart it was painfully obvious she or he never ever cleaned it since they had it. Those guns were rarely broke, just rusted, barrels full of lint and trash and old gummed up oils. Normally just a cleaning did the trick. Most cops never shoot until they have to qualify, and before we got the laws changed to force them to qualify some cops worked 200 years and never shot a gun the whole time and many never cleaned them.

This point tells me safety inspection is a farce. If they want safety all they have to do is have the gun shop certify it. After all they are the experts.

The Tackman
07-15-2008, 12:46 PM
I hope this passes into law...Registration of firearms just makes it easier for big brother to confiscate.

Roger Roney
07-16-2008, 04:06 AM
I hope this passes into law...Registration of firearms just makes it easier for big brother to confiscate.MI has had handgun registration since the 1920's. These bills just remove one step of the process, but do not eliminate it.

Roger

The Tackman
07-16-2008, 06:14 AM
MI has had handgun registration since the 1920's. These bills just remove one step of the process, but do not eliminate it.

Roger
That's one step closer to removal :grin: