PDA

View Full Version : Safe Decisions

Buzz_on
09-26-2013, 10:00 AM
I am contemplating a new safe. Is it worth the extra to go to a Liberty or similar or is a Cannon from TSC going to do the job just as well with out the frills? I know that the high priced safes will have thicker steel and and more fireproofing.

With the fireproofing what should be a minimum that you should have?

As for the thickness of steel a good grinder and cutoff wheels would make short work out of most, so a little torn on this.

I am mostly concerned do to recent issues around the area of smash and grabs. If they have enough time and tools they will get into any safe with determination. I would like to get into something thats about a 48 gun size. This would allow for future expansion and other room for some other stuff. Looking forward to all input guys. Thanks

MI-1911
09-26-2013, 10:25 AM
The latests fad is to take the entire safe! Why not hide them, and insure them? Unless you have something that you can't replace.

RogueLeader
09-26-2013, 10:40 AM
You will want to avoid composite doors(that is where they tell you the total gauge is 10 or 12) since they are usually multiple and separate thinner pieces.

You will want to definitely anchor the safe. You will be surprised what you can move on your own or with some help; especially if you don't care about damaging the house.

When you anchor, you will want to anchor in places that are not easily accessible from the other side. Doesn't do any good to anchor to an inner wall if the would be thief could just go into the other room and cut it loose from the backside.

Some safes do come with some feature to help defeat(well slow down) cutting, such as platting with imbedded ball bearings or the interior walls filled with old saw blades and such. Of course, those cost more money.

In the case of fireproofing, it is, from my understanding, usually drywall that is in place within the walls of the safe.

costanza
09-26-2013, 11:50 AM
I am contemplating a new safe. Is it worth the extra to go to a Liberty or similar or is a Cannon from TSC going to do the job just as well with out the frills? I know that the high priced safes will have thicker steel and and more fireproofing.

With the fireproofing what should be a minimum that you should have?

As for the thickness of steel a good grinder and cutoff wheels would make short work out of most, so a little torn on this.

I am mostly concerned do to recent issues around the area of smash and grabs. If they have enough time and tools they will get into any safe with determination. I would like to get into something thats about a 48 gun size. This would allow for future expansion and other room for some other stuff. Looking forward to all input guys. Thanks

Others will likely disagree, but I do like my Cannon "48 gun" safe purchased 2 years ago from TSC.But, I'd really like to see how they could call it(or any other of the same size) a 48 gun safe with a straight face. Maybe if it were filled with Daisy Red Ryders? If I had the option, I'd have preferred the dial combo lock instead of the electronic combo lock, but I personally have had no issues yet. It barely, and I mean barely, holds my AR-50, but that is a huge rifle. The foot taller model was $300 more at TSC, but would have made placement a real pain with my low basement ceilings. It may not have fit at all. Consider the taller model if it will fit in your basement. Remember it has to go down diagonally, then be 'rotated' upright. Hope this helps!
Regards,
Costanza

Buzz_on
09-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Well space won't be an issue. Walk out with slider. I was thinking maybe of going to the tallersafe.

ATA Works
09-26-2013, 02:23 PM
I've been looking hard at Sturdy safes lately, thick steel with no frills at a great price compared to Liberty or Fort Knox.

erict
09-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Also if possible, bolt in down in a corner with the left side against the opposite wall. This will help slow down any prying attempt. The last thing an average thief wants to do is spend time inside a home.

bolonytony24
09-26-2013, 07:49 PM
I went with no frills. thickest walls and door for the money. I don t plan on many seeing how prett my safe is . I'd deffnataly lag it down to a slab or basemet if you can. but a 48 gun safe full is pretty difficult to move. even if it's not bolted down. the bigger the better . they fill up quick

G22
10-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Here's the deal with fire ratings. NO consumer grade safe is "fireproof".
Make sure you ask how long it took to get the oven to 1200 degrees (or whatever your rating is).

Many of the cheaper safes that boast 30 minute protection are bogus.

They actually count the minutes it takes to heat the oven up to 1200 degrees. They put the safe in, fire up the oven which takes 20 minutes minimum to reach the temp on the rating. So what your left with is a actual fire rating of 10 minutes at 1200 degrees.

For the safes like Fort Knox, Liberty, and National Safe Co. the ovens are pre-heated to temp rating before the safes are put into the oven. This is very important if your counting on the fire rating saving your stuff.

Pyzik
10-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Also if possible, bolt in down in a corner with the left side against the opposite wall. This will help slow down any prying attempt. The last thing an average thief wants to do is spend time inside a home.
Bingo.

This is how mine is currently secured.

naui1994
10-04-2013, 02:14 PM
I was in the same spot you were a year ago and ended up going with a Liberty Fatboy Jr. 48 gun safe. 45 min fire rating from lowes. Picked up a 10% off coupon from the post office change of address packet. Delivery was CHEAP! Off of the truck and into my walkout basement for $30! with the 10% off it was $1,077.30 + $30 Delivery fee. I think it is normally $60 but talk to the manager and he might cut you a deal. Mine did not come with the Centurion label on it. Made in the USA. It's a little extra but the fire rating is better and to have someone set it in where you want it saves you a lot of work. Just something to think about.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_141134-10283-FB48-BK_0__?productId=3255722&Ntt=gun+safe&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dgun%2Bsafe&facetInfo=

Dsully
10-04-2013, 02:20 PM
The latests fad is to take the entire safe! Why not hide them, and insure them? Unless you have something that you can't replace.
+1. Don't make it easy for them to take it and get a security system installed.

DV8r
10-04-2013, 03:31 PM
This is a little long but covers a lot of details, even though it is a sales pitch.
ltK-bDbADa8