PDA

View Full Version : Help a WWII Vet?

Walther
10-10-2013, 01:56 PM
This may be a tall order, but I have to try.

Dad is 95 years old and has expressed an interest to get out and hunt again. He was never a deer hunter, but grew up hunting small game. Understanding his age and limited mobility, squirrel hunting would be the ticket.

He is not handicapped and does not qualify as a disabled person under the DNR's description, so that's out.

Dad is in Belleville. I need to find private property that is relatively close, say Chelsea, Adrian, Jackson, Monroe County, Washthenaw, Fenton, Brighton, etc. It needs to have a two-track so I can drive him in. Once in the woods I can get him off the road 30-40 feet or so and he can sit in a chair provided the ground is relatively flat and clear.

I would prefer permission for Dad, myself, and my son and son in-law. I can't imagine a much finer thing than getting us all out in the woods together. It'd probably be our one opportunity to have three generations hunt. If not, then at least my Dad and me.

This does not need to be an unlimited access, season long type thing. If I could get him out once or twice that'd be fine.

I am hoping against hope that someone out there has a piece of property as described. I would be happy to come out to view the property and clear a path for him to walk ahead of time. I can pay a small amount for the priveledge if need be.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jackam
10-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Sterling Mi.
40 acres of woods
Lots of squirrels
Two tracks bisect the property and branch off.
Fox squirrels (brown, black, grey) and red (pine) squirrels
I'm typing this from avtreestand now and have three squirrels within shooting range.

You three are welcome anytime you want.

I know it's not your chosen area but I would never pass up helping a WWII vet.

Walther
10-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Sterling Mi.
40 acres of woods
Lots of squirrels
Two tracks bisect the property and branch off.
Fox squirrels (brown, black, grey) and red (pine) squirrels
I'm typing this from avtreestand now and have three squirrels within shooting range.

You three are welcome anytime you want.

I know it's not your chosen area but I would never pass up helping a WWII vet.

Excellent Jack, thanks! A bit far for a day trip with Dad, but I'll keep it as an option with your permission. What is the motel situation like in that area?

Sledhead
10-13-2013, 08:20 PM
You would have to drive up to West Branch and then travel back to his property.

But depending on said property its not that far. Its about 17 miles from exit to exit. Hotels less than a mile off exit in West Branch.

annade
10-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Just outta curiosity, want would he be hunting squirrel with? 22LR?

Walther
10-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Just outta curiosity, want would he be hunting squirrel with? 22LR?

Not sure he could sight a .22 anymore, more than likely a .410 or 20.

annade
10-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Never mind then, was gonna give you some 22LR if you needed some and couldn't find any.

Good luck on your hunt, if it works out your dad will surely love it!

Walther
10-15-2013, 06:34 AM
Never mind then, was gonna give you some 22LR if you needed some and couldn't find any.

Good luck on your hunt, if it works out your dad will surely love it!

Appreciate that. I'm sitting on a couple thousand rounds right now though.