PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Astrogiblet
06-11-2008, 03:13 AM
I just moved back to Michigan after 6 months of living in Georgia. Living down there I learned a lot about guns from a coworker.. I ended up buying my first (and only, so far) gun from him: A Glock 36 .45ACP with night sights, an extra magazine, 4 magazine extenders, the original Glock case and magazine loader, 2 holsters, a cleaning kit and a few other goodies for really cheap. Since I bought it (about a month and a half ago) I've put 300 rounds in it at the range and can't get enough.

Now I'm looking to acquire more guns (I can't get enough!). Looking at AK's and revolvers and Desert Eagles... I'm destined to be poor!

I found this site on the net from Google-ing "Michigan Gun Forum". I'm hoping to learn more about guns and meet some cool people to shoot with! I'm also very interested to learn more about Michigan gun laws.. I've read some websites but still don't have a good understanding of everything. Georgia, where I first became a gun owner, is a very free-gun state.. They can own and do just about anything down there with very minor restrictions..

My first question.. my cousin just became a police officer here in MI and two of my aunts laughed about him not being able to purchase ammo until he's 21 (even though he was given or bought a gun).. is there any truth to this? I couldn't find anything about this online except for one newspaper article that only mentions it in regards to another topic..

-Brandon

fbuckner
06-11-2008, 04:28 AM
My first question.. my cousin just became a police officer here in MI and two of my aunts laughed about him not being able to purchase ammo until he's 21 (even though he was given or bought a gun).. is there any truth to this? I couldn't find anything about this online except for one newspaper article that only mentions it in regards to another topic..

-Brandon[/QUOTE]

Tis true

PhotoTom
06-11-2008, 04:45 AM
I just moved back to Michigan after 6 months of living in Georgia. Living down there I learned a lot about guns from a coworker.. I ended up buying my first (and only, so far) gun from him: A Glock 36 .45ACP with night sights, an extra magazine, 4 magazine extenders, the original Glock case and magazine loader, 2 holsters, a cleaning kit and a few other goodies for really cheap. Since I bought it (about a month and a half ago) I've put 300 rounds in it at the range and can't get enough.

Now I'm looking to acquire more guns (I can't get enough!). Looking at AK's and revolvers and Desert Eagles... I'm destined to be poor!

I found this site on the net from Google-ing "Michigan Gun Forum". I'm hoping to learn more about guns and meet some cool people to shoot with! I'm also very interested to learn more about Michigan gun laws.. I've read some websites but still don't have a good understanding of everything. Georgia, where I first became a gun owner, is a very free-gun state.. They can own and do just about anything down there with very minor restrictions..

-Brandon

Hi Brandon and welcome to MGO!
There are conflicting federal and state laws regarding purchasing a handgun. Essentially, a person 18 years old, but less than 21 years old, can purchase a handgun in MI from a private seller (as governed by state laws), but not from a FFL/Dealer (as governed by federal laws). As far as handgun ammo, FFLs are prohibited from selling to a person under 21 years old due to federal laws.

The main reason I was compelled to reply, however...since you are not fully familiar with Michigan's gun laws, I just wanted to be sure you are aware that you must get your pistol "safety inspected" (registered) now that you've brought it into Michigan. You may already be aware of that, but I just wanted to be sure!

Astrogiblet
06-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Yea.. I'm semi-aware of the safety inspection that my pistol must undergo. Where do I bring it to? I believe the law states it needs to be inspected by the chief of police in the city your in?

Thats weird that you have to be 21 to purchase ammo... And thats a federal law? The FFL dealers I went to in GA knew I was 19 and they sold me hundreds of rounds...

Anyways, do I have to apply for a purchase permit even through a private seller transaction? I read the laws last night but couldn't figure out if they were saying you only had to get a permit for FFL sales, or if you had to for every sale.. Can I apply for one being only 19 (if its from a private seller?)...

Lots of questions! I'm sorry... :)

-Brandon

PhotoTom
06-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Yea.. I'm semi-aware of the safety inspection that my pistol must undergo. Where do I bring it to? I believe the law states it needs to be inspected by the chief of police in the city your in?

Thats weird that you have to be 21 to purchase ammo... And thats a federal law? The FFL dealers I went to in GA knew I was 19 and they sold me hundreds of rounds...

Anyways, do I have to apply for a purchase permit even through a private seller transaction? I read the laws last night but couldn't figure out if they were saying you only had to get a permit for FFL sales, or if you had to for every sale.. Can I apply for one being only 19 (if its from a private seller?)...

Lots of questions! I'm sorry... :)

-Brandon

Go to your local Police Department. If your area does not have a local PD, then you go to your County Sheriff Office. Tell them you just moved into the state and have a handgun to have safety inspected. Be sure the gun is unloaded and in a locked case or with a gun lock in place. They will issue you a purchase permit which you will complete right there, then they will issue you a "green card" with is a certificate of safety inspection. They may require that you take a short "quiz" in the process (they're supposed to, but sometimes they don't...especially in situations like this). Also, they may charge $5 or so for the "notary fee". That's pretty much it...you'll be all set at that point. Don't wait too long, though...you could get stung for having an unregistered handgun in Michigan...

As far as purchasing ammo from an FFL...I was talking about handgun ammo...if you're talking about rifle or shotgun ammo...that's a different story. If you're talking about pistol ammo...oops! There is an exception for .22 ammo...

As far as purchasing a handgun from a private owner, yes...you must obtain a purchase permit...unless you have a CPL (concealed pistol permit), then you can use that and a RI-60 form...but you have to get the "safety inspection" either way. Purchase permits are good for 10 days after they are issued, then you have 10 days to go back and get the safety inspection after the purchase is completed. The minimum age for obtaining a purchase permit in Michigan is 18 years old.

Here's a bit of info:
http://michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-138642--,00.html

rio
06-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Astrogiblet,
Welcome to the boards, and back to Michigan. I also live in Grand Blanc and we have to go to the County Sheriff's Dept. for our safety inspection. The Sheriff's Dept. is located on Saginaw St in downtown Flint right across from the city hall.

As far as your itch for shooting....I, along with a couple of partners, am just about to open up a 40,000 square foot gun and archery range in Burton. We are scheduled to open on August 15th. Feel fee to e-mail or PM me for all the details.

Norm

Astrogiblet
06-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Norm,

I went to the police building in Grand Blanc off Grand Blanc Rd and they did my inspection there. It just had to be done by the police chief.

I'm very interested in your range. I'll be messaging you in a second here about that.

-Brandon