PDA

View Full Version : nieghbor drama!

jacuzzibusguy
10-14-2013, 11:03 AM
I have 58 acres that i live on and also lease to a hunter for bow season.

The other day i get a call from the neighbor. He had two issues he was angry about:

he was unhappy that my lessee killed "that particular doe"

he was also unhappy about the location of my lessee's tree stand. The tree stand is on my property about 30 yards from the fence line. It has been there since august. The neighbor has a tree stand in the same area, right on the property line, on his side. He is angry that someone put a tree stand in such close proximity to his.

I told him that i was unaware of the problem, and i would ask my lessee to move his stand. During the phone call, the neighbor begins a tirade. He threatens to "ruin the hunting" on my property and reiterates this point several times.

The next day, saturday, just before dawn i hear what sounds like john henry trying to beat the steam drill down. The noise is coming from the woods. I walk out to investigate, and the neighbor is on his property in the area of the tree stands. He is pounding on steel stakes, driving his truck up/down, the fence row, and playing his radio. I watched him for about 10 minutes before i decided to go back to the house and get my phone so i could record what's going on.

I shot a short video from my vantage point, then i put my recorder in my pocket, walked over to the neighbor and engaged him in conversation. He admitted that he was purposely trying to keep people on my property from being able to hunt.

jacuzzibusguy
10-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Michigan law prohibits individuals from obstructing or interfering with the lawful taking of animals. The Department of Natural Resources supports hunting as a legitimate form of recreation and as a useful tool in the management of the wildlife resource. Michigan conservation officers are committed to protecting hunters from the intentional disruption of the hunting experience.

(4) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 93 days, or a fine of not less than $500.00 or more than $1,000.00, or both, and the costs of prosecution. A person who violates this section a second or subsequent time is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1 year, or a fine of not less than $1,000.00 or more than $2,500.00, or both, and the costs of prosecution. In addition to the penalties provided for in this subsection, any permit or license issued by the department authorizing the person to take animals shall be revoked.

As luck would have it, his wife, came and talked to me later. I also recorded her admitting that they are purposely trying to obstruct hunters from taking game, and the best part is that when i mentioned that is likely unlawful she indicated very smugly "that you would have to prove it"

that made me smile.

My lessee is a gracious guy. He not only took down his tree stand, but he gave the neighbor a bag of deer bait.

Morning after that, the neighbor was out there making noise again.......

RevDerb
10-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Sign him up for the Obama administration.

who dat
10-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Document/Report.

Wash, rinse, repeat until clean.

jacuzzibusguy
10-14-2013, 11:23 AM
The funny thing is, this neighbor is a nice guy and we typically get along just fine.

Deer hunting makes people crazy!

I harbor no ill will towards this person, I just want the harassment to stop.

I wrote him a very stern letter, which i cannot mail today because it's columbus day.

the next step is to call the DNR, but i'm not sure how helpful they are going to be. do they really even care about petty neighbor disputes?

who dat
10-14-2013, 11:27 AM
The funny thing is, this neighbor is a nice guy and we typically get along just fine.

I wrote him a very stern letter, which i cannot mail today because it's columbus day.

the next step is to call the DNR, but i'm not sure how helpful they are going to be. do they really even care about petty neighbor disputes?
It's not a petty neighbor dispute. It's a violation of hunting regulations.

jacuzzibusguy
10-14-2013, 11:39 AM
I would prefer to solve this issue as diplomatic as possible, however, the nuclear option is to erect the proper sort of buildings near his property line.
with the 450 foot rule, i can effectively end his ability to hunt on his property.

This isn't something that I would realistically do, but it's nice to know that the option exists.

I really want to play nice.

Sticks
10-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Talk to the DNR before you let your neighbor know you have video and recordings. See what their action's will be. In other words, know the answer to the question before it's asked.

Can you borrow more stands and put them all along your fence line? That would really drive him nuts.

langenc
10-14-2013, 12:09 PM
I have 58 acres that i live on and also lease to a hunter for bow season.

The other day i get a call from the neighbor. He had two issues he was angry about:

he was unhappy that my lessee killed "that particular doe"

he was also unhappy about the location of my lessee's tree stand. The tree stand is on my property about 30 yards from the fence line. It has been there since august. The neighbor has a tree stand in the same area, right on the property line, on his side. He is angry that someone put a tree stand in such close proximity to his.

I told him that i was unaware of the problem, and i would ask my lessee to move his stand. During the phone call, the neighbor begins a tirade. He threatens to "ruin the hunting" on my property and reiterates this point several times.

The next day, saturday, just before dawn i hear what sounds like john henry trying to beat the steam drill down. The noise is coming from the woods. I walk out to investigate, and the neighbor is on his property in the area of the tree stands. He is pounding on steel stakes, driving his truck up/down, the fence row, and playing his radio. I watched him for about 10 minutes before i decided to go back to the house and get my phone so i could record what's going on.

I shot a short video from my vantage point, then i put my recorder in my pocket, walked over to the neighbor and engaged him in conversation. He admitted that he was purposely trying to keep people on my property from being able to hunt.

I suppose many have asked--"did the neighbor ever hear of hunter harrasment".. Id be calling the number if I was the leasee..

""erect proper buildings...." Rule used to say something about OCCUPIED" buildings. I know the DNR interpets that broadly but what did the legislature intend?: I guess that really dont matter as we can cite many 'rules' that are WAY OUT OF CONTROL.

After reading on I see post #2--sounds like the guy is a dick.

cmr19xx
10-14-2013, 12:11 PM

Send the letter registered mail so you can prove he recieved it.

cmr19xx
10-14-2013, 12:12 PM
I suppose many have asked--"did the neighbor ever hear of hunter harrasment".. Id be calling the number if I was the leasee..

""erect proper buildings...." Rule used to say something about OCCUPIED" buildings. I know the DNR interpets that broadly but what did the legislature intend?: I guess that really dont matter as we can cite many 'rules' that are WAY OUT OF CONTROL.

I agree. I think you or your leasee would be within your/his rights to call the RAP line and report your neighbor.

jacuzzibusguy
10-14-2013, 12:17 PM

After reading on I see post #2--sounds like the guy is a dick.

I think the 450 foot rule sucks and is a serious infringement upon land owners rights. The fact that you could own 10 acres in the country and your neighbor could effectively keep you from hunting your own property is grossly unfair.......but I digress.

here is the actual rule:

An individual shall not hunt or discharge a firearm within 150 yards of an occupied building, dwelling, house, residence, or cabin, or any barn or other building used in connection with a farm operation, without obtaining the written permission of the owner, renter, or occupant of the property.

I live on a 58 acre farm. I could keep farm equipment in these hypothetical new buildings......or i could build some micro-cabins for people to stay in when they come visit.

dramey82
10-14-2013, 12:35 PM
I think the 450 foot rule sucks and is a serious infringement upon land owners rights. The fact that you could own 10 acres in the country and your neighbor could effectively keep you from hunting your own property is grossly unfair.......but I digress.

here is the actual rule:

I live on a 58 acre farm. I could keep farm equipment in these hypothetical new buildings......or i could build some micro-cabins for people to stay in when they come visit.

Sounds like a huge expense unless you need the buildings, hopefully calm communication will work.

wrinkledshirt
10-14-2013, 01:55 PM
I hope to hear about this guy in Cuffs & Collars, in a story that ends with, "Enforcement action was taken."

Armed Fitter
10-14-2013, 02:57 PM
don't be an idiot like your neighbor, call DNR first thing, I understand it's your neighbor and it will most likely ruin you relationship with the for as long as you live there, however I've seen people shot at, stabbed and lives ruined over deer and game, it's part of being a man as well, take the appropriate steps, call authorities, get documentation of the entire situation. Also do not forget the DNR works for you as we all and yourself pay them. Please be safe

thatguy423
10-14-2013, 03:14 PM
A couple warning shots with a double barrel shotgun will scare away any intruders.. Joe said...

Walther
10-14-2013, 03:41 PM
don't be an idiot like your neighbor, call DNR first thing, I understand it's your neighbor and it will most likely ruin you relationship with the for as long as you live there, however I've seen people shot at, stabbed and lives ruined over deer and game, it's part of being a man as well, take the appropriate steps, call authorities, get documentation of the entire situation. Also do not forget the DNR works for you as we all and yourself pay them. Please be safe

As much fun as some of the other stuff may be, this is good advice.

I would go on to say don't do anything that might give him cause to call the DNR first. Remember, the guy who calls first is going to get the benefit of the doubt. I'd rather be the complainant than the defendant.

BTW, how much will you be renting those cabins for? :biggrin:

stretch84
10-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Unless you do something about it, your neighbors will most likely continue to act like dicks.

I was getting harassment from mine until I took action. Granted my problem was something different. But my point is neighbors can be ********.

amontana086
10-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Buddy of mine used to hunt pretty close to his neighbors property line.

Then one year he shot a nice buck, it ran for a bit hopped the neighbors fence and died. The neighbor kept it and now my buddy puts his stands a little further in on his own land. Instead of being such a raging a** your neighbor should just hope for a circumstance like that.

Armed Fitter
10-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Unless you do something about it, your neighbors will most likely continue to act like dicks.

I was getting harassment from mine until I took action. Granted my problem was something different. But my point is neighbors can be ********.

agreed, my old man says it best, " the best neighbor, is one ya never see"

Sledhead
10-14-2013, 04:22 PM
The legal road is the right road.

You already lost your neighbor as a friend or good guy because of the wrong deer being shot.

I've had a ton of run ins with my neighbors. The cops always saw it my way but none the less they continued to do their things.

So I moved before I started digging holes.

Needless to say the fun has just begun.

Dansjeep2000
10-14-2013, 04:36 PM
My first call would be to the DNR. Find out what they say and go from there.

who dat
10-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Remember the 450' rule only applies to hunting. It's a DNR regulation and does not apply to the shooting range you can construct along the property line. :coolgleam:

The only thing that can stop you there is local regulation.

Jackam
10-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Letter??? Are you nuts?

Do not send a letter. It will only aggravate things.
You have the "goods" on him and as soon as the DNR lets him know the spot he is in, things will change. Your relationship with him has already changed forever. This will not be undone with a "trying to be a nice guy" letter.

You are not being a bad guy by calling the RAP hotline.
One simple conversation and it might be all over.
Your lessee paid you for the property hunting rights. You have an obligation to him.

Ultra
10-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Letter??? Are you nuts?

Do not send a letter. It will only aggravate things.
You have the "goods" on him and as soon as the DNR lets him know the spot he is in, things will change. Your relationship with him has already changed forever. This will not be undone with a "trying to be a nice guy" letter.

You are not being a bad guy by calling the RAP hotline.
One simple conversation and it might be all over.
Your lessee paid you for the property hunting rights. You have an obligation to him.

This ^

Walther
10-15-2013, 10:52 AM
This ^

X2

jackg
10-15-2013, 12:06 PM

Deer hunting season does change people & their behavior, that scares many people.
Is your neighbor married? Have kids at home? It's possible the wife is kickin' his you know what about the associative risk of a hunter in a tree stand in such close proximity to her home, just sayin'.
Here's a fact I give people every year about this time, according to the State of Michigan stats there will be about 750,000 armed hunters out there on firearms opening day as opposed to this bit of info: Peak troop strength in Vietnam: 543,482 (April 30, 1969)

It's my opinion that you don't know all the forces at work here. Take it easy with him, he is your neighbor.

TomE
10-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Remember the 450' rule only applies to hunting. It's a DNR regulation and does not apply to the shooting range you can construct along the property line. :coolgleam:

The only thing that can stop you there is local regulation.

There is a MCL than runs parallel to the dnr one. I was not amused to read it. It was in the legal beagle place,I will search

Ruger
10-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Deer hunting season does change people & their behavior, that scares many people.
Is your neighbor married? Have kids at home? It's possible the wife is kickin' his you know what about the associative risk of a hunter in a tree stand in such close proximity to her home, just sayin'.
Here's a fact I give people every year about this time, according to the State of Michigan stats there will be about 750,000 armed hunters out there on firearms opening day as opposed to this bit of info: Peak troop strength in Vietnam: 543,482 (April 30, 1969)

It's my opinion that you don't know all the forces at work here. Take it easy with him, he is your neighbor.

I think we've already established that the "Guys" wife is already a cohort in crime!

jacuzzibusguy: As luck would have it, his wife, came and talked to me later. I also recorded her admitting that they are purposely trying to obstruct hunters from taking game, and the best part is that when i mentioned that is likely unlawful she indicated very smugly "that you would have to prove it"

that made me smile.

My lessee is a gracious guy. He not only took down his tree stand, but he gave the neighbor a bag of deer bait.

Morning after that, the neighbor was out there making noise again.......

bluegill
10-15-2013, 01:47 PM

topgun
10-15-2013, 01:56 PM
It's not a petty neighbor dispute. It's a violation of hunting regulations.

Previously, I have called the DNR Rap line to report poachers. They were very nice on the phone, offered me follow-up information on any arrests or incident reports, but I know they never even sent anybody out to check on the poachers, because the poaching continued until I got fed up with them and started hunting elsewhere. I'm talking weeks of poaching, everyday, in the same area. This was before their manpower shortage.

Trust me, the Michigan DNR does not care.

Sledhead
10-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Have you called the hotline yet?

Have you had any returns calls? What advise was given from it?

Best of luck but the season is just starting.

Do you lease to any gun hunters or do you hunt it as well?

Roundballer
10-15-2013, 02:49 PM
"i" before "e", except after "c" and "sounds" like "a" as in "neighbor" and "weigh"
I just had to, no offense intended, that is why it is hidden.

Jackam
10-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Trust me, the Michigan DNR does not care.
A few years ago, my RAP call wound up with a felony conviction and prison time served.
They like to succeed. They will take a call that they can pursue.

dougwg
10-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Call the DNR!
Don't send the letter.

fbuckner
10-16-2013, 02:27 PM
We have anew neighbor that has harassed us as well as the very few people I allow to hunt on our farm. He starts weed wacking the nearly 1/2 mile of fence line or starts to skeet shoot as soon as we set up decoys for goose season. I should clarify there are no weeds to wack since they are hosed down with round up several times a year. now I set up decoys a day before we hunt and he typically does his thing while we are not even hunting. He says by us goose hunting it will screw up his trying to pattern the deer for deer season. the kicker is he had an eight point hanging during youth weekend and he doesn't have any kids.

Sledhead
10-17-2013, 07:37 PM
We have anew neighbor that has harassed us as well as the very few people I allow to hunt on our farm. He starts weed wacking the nearly 1/2 mile of fence line or starts to skeet shoot as soon as we set up decoys for goose season. I should clarify there are no weeds to wack since they are hosed down with round up several times a year. now I set up decoys a day before we hunt and he typically does his thing while we are not even hunting. He says by us goose hunting it will screw up his trying to pattern the deer for deer season. the kicker is he had an eight point hanging during youth weekend and he doesn't have any kids.

DID you call the RAP?

I called because there were a few deer around here with their heads cut off and the body's just left in the field or ditch.

I called the RAP. It took a few days for someone to call be back, then almost a week later a conservation officer called me.
But within that time either something or someone moved the carcasses.

He did give me his cell number and told me to call anytime I saw something odd. But to call 911 if someone was shinning and shoot'n in our fields.

Magnum Man
10-18-2013, 05:44 AM
I would call the DNR, they could still investigate.

Cackler
10-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Let me just say IANAL but I am an avid hunter and would be really ticked if a neighbor was screwing with me like that. I have been down that road before where a neighbor loved to ride the quad through the woods at prime time every night and even went so far as to move their trail so it got very close to a tree stand that I had on my side of the property line.

That all said, I think Law Enforcement would have a difficult time winning a case for hunter harassment when the person or persons doing the harassment are ON THEIR OWN PROPERTY.

If I own land and I want to cut wood at daylight on November 15th, there really isn't a whole helluva lot that you can do about it.

I even had another neighbor build a building which really limited the area that I could hunt.

The trials and tribulations of recreation....ain't it fun?

jemcclai
10-18-2013, 12:50 PM
all you got to do is buy LOTS of land with very few peeps around...I do not have a problem with anyone, when at camp...I guess it all depends on where you buy, and HOW much you got...if you buy land where everyone else is...your going to have problems...I have land in the Huron Mountains area...never ever had a problem with people

topgun
10-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Let me just say IANAL but I am an avid hunter and would be really ticked if a neighbor was screwing with me like that. I have been down that road before where a neighbor loved to ride the quad through the woods at prime time every night and even went so far as to move their trail so it got very close to a tree stand that I had on my side of the property line.

That all said, I think Law Enforcement would have a difficult time winning a case for hunter harassment when the person or persons doing the harassment are ON THEIR OWN PROPERTY.

If I own land and I want to cut wood at daylight on November 15th, there really isn't a whole helluva lot that you can do about it.

I even had another neighbor build a building which really limited the area that I could hunt.

The trials and tribulations of recreation....ain't it fun?

This sounds a lot like two of my neighbors. I have 40 acres, everyone around me has 10. One neighbor likes to walk our joined property line at prime hunting hours shooting every 30 seconds (shooting squirrels he says with a smile). The other idiot has at least 5 buddies hunting his 10 acres. They are so stupid, they rev up their ATV's, yell, hoot & holler, scream, talk real loud, and shoot their guns just before they drive out to their blinds, right about the time deer are starting to move. They all complain in the bar later, or at the restaurant the next morning, that they didn't see anything, and are confused about why other people see deer, and they don't. These guys are adults, in their 40's, so they're not stupid kids. They are just stupid adults.

topgun
10-23-2013, 01:04 AM
A few years ago, my RAP call wound up with a felony conviction and prison time served.
They like to succeed. They will take a call that they can pursue.
I wish they would have responded to my calls. I even found a freshly killed deer with a 22 caliber-sized holes in it's neck, which the poachers probably couldn't find I guess. I could hear them shooting at dusk everyday, and this was during bow season.

I really think they get more satisfaction out of hassling ATV and snowmobile riders than anything else. Makes them feel more like cops.

Jackam
10-23-2013, 10:17 AM
I wish they would have responded to my calls. I even found a freshly killed deer with a 22 caliber-sized holes in it's neck, which the poachers probably couldn't find I guess. I could hear them shooting at dusk everyday, and this was during bow season.

I really think they get more satisfaction out of hassling ATV and snowmobile riders than anything else. Makes them feel more like cops.

I don't think so. I read the CO reports and obviously the poaching violations are bigger and better headlines.

Now that you mention it, someone dropped two carcasses off on the state land near my property. I called the cell phone of the local DNR dude and left a voice mail. All I wanted was to move the carcasses inland and out of sight so they were not a nasty distraction when anyone drove by. I didn't want to get caught doing it and blamed with the kill and disposal. Never did get a reply back.

Jackam
10-23-2013, 10:23 AM
I think jacuzzibusguy sent the letter and it didn't work out too well.
He hasn't responded or updated since the day of his original post, almost 10 days ago.

concepthomes1
10-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Yea - I've been checking on this thread to see what his outcomes are. Hopefully it all ended diplomatically.

Shyster
10-23-2013, 10:49 AM
I believe the OP may be on his honeymoon

Jackam
10-23-2013, 12:32 PM
I believe the OP may be on his honeymoon
Still posting on other topics.
Oh Well... I hope no news for us means GOOD news for him!

DP425
10-23-2013, 03:25 PM
The dude decided to say the hell with diplomacy when he started his obnoxious behavior- call the DNR, provide them with the video and audio... and be done with it. Continue doing the video/audio and reporting until he stops.

You decide you want to play stupid games and be a d1ck, expect to be treated accordingly.

Knightrider03m
10-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Neighbor problems are worst then fighting with your family. Hope everything works out, but I doubt that it will.

amontana086
10-23-2013, 10:49 PM
I just hope jacuzzibusguy didn't get arrested for beating the crap out of his ahole neighbor.

Sledhead
10-24-2013, 05:49 AM
Maybe he was that neighbor and decided to stop harassing his nice neighbor before he called the DNR.

He just had his feelers out to see if what he was doing was against any law.:shrugs:

bkglad
10-24-2013, 07:37 PM
Luckily the only fighting I have ever had between neighbors is who is sitting in this tree stand tonight. My neighbors have always been real cool and there has been 5 since I lived there. It's called the divorce house because every family that buys and moves in ends up being divorced within a Couple of years.

The last family that moved in did not want me hunting on his property. With every other family we agreed free range to both 20 acre parcels we just coordinated stand sights and what not. Well this guy quickly changed his mind when his 200 yard driveway was snowed in and without his permission I plowed it with the quad. Let's just say we get along just fine now.

Jackam
11-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Remember the guy that said he accidentally shot himself and posted pics on the MGO forum? It turned out that the guy was in for some routine surgery and made it all up to garner attention.

It's well past bow season. The OP here never came back and replied to the thread. Makes me think Deja Vu.

teecro
11-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Remember the guy that said he accidentally shot himself and posted pics on the MGO forum? It turned out that the guy was in for some routine surgery and made it all up to garner attention.

It's well past bow season. The OP here never came back and replied to the thread. Makes me think Deja Vu.

LOL Almost spat my coffee when I read your post!

Daily activity with near to two dozen postings later with no update here?

Nope nothing to see here! :poke:

Jackam
11-27-2013, 10:55 AM

Sometimes we (meaning I) forget that not everyone's life is like our own. It's been pointed out to me that perhaps there are circumstances that stopped him from replying.

I meant no offense, but it still does seem like a strange situation.

Hope all went well. This could have become a good learning tool for others. Still may.

hmbiohazard
11-27-2013, 12:31 PM
LOL Almost spat my coffee when I read your post!

Nope nothing to see here! :poke:

haha thats great. i got my appendix out but im going to say i shot myself.... woulda been more entertaining to say he was shot but killed 321 bg's in the process

bongi11
11-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Invite him over for Backstraps and beer.