PDA

View Full Version : How To Start Hunting

Talking Monkey
10-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Hello. I've been a shooter for a while and am interested in deer hunting. Problem is, I have no idea how to get started and I've had trouble finding people who will show me the ropes. Hoping to get some advice and maybe a recommendation for an instructor/guide. I live in western Oakland county. Thanks!

Tallbear
10-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Hello. I've been a shooter for a while and am interested in deer hunting. Problem is, I have no idea how to get started and I've had trouble finding people who will show me the ropes. Hoping to get some advice and maybe a recommendation for an instructor/guide. I live in western Oakland county. Thanks!

Are you hunting public land or private?

Talking Monkey
10-18-2013, 02:47 PM
I don't personally have any private land appropriate for hunting.

lwout65
10-18-2013, 03:08 PM
For starters if were talking deer you need a good rifle for some one starting out i would recommend a 30/30 because its not a huge investment if you decide its not your cup of tea and it would be easy to resell.

Next step would be taking it to the range with or with out a scope depending on your preference just to get used to shooting it.

Then you need to take a hunters safety course before you can even get your license for big or small game.

IIChance
10-18-2013, 03:11 PM
For starters if were talking deer you need a good rifle for some one starting out i would recommend a 30/30 because its not a huge investment if you decide its not your cup of tea and it would be easy to resell.

Next step would be taking it to the range with or with out a scope depending on your preference just to get used to shooting it.

Then you need to take a hunters safety course before you can even get your license for big or small game.

What if he is going to go hunting below the shot gun/rifle line that cuts the lower peninsula in half? Kinda hard to do that legally with a 30/30, no?

lwout65
10-18-2013, 03:14 PM
What if he is going to go hunting below the shot gun/rifle line that cuts the lower peninsula in half? Kinda hard to do that legally with a 30/30, no?

Excellent point then a good shotgun would fit the bill Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 i am partial to the Remington.

IIChance
10-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Excellent point then a good shotgun would fit the bill Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 i am partial to the Remington.

Can you also legally hunt with a shot gun in the rifle areas (upper portion of the lower peninsula and the UP), thus making the shot gun the most versatile gun for the task? Additionally, you can hunt all sorts of fowl with a shot gun too.

IIChance
10-18-2013, 03:47 PM

Go to a DNR range and ask the officer there about their hunting courses. They are always trying to encourage people to hunt because less and less of the younger generation is doing it. Most kids would rather make 50 head shots an hour playing a video game then "waste" a whole day shivering in the woods all day and seeing nothing to shoot at. Additionally, there are a lot of videos on youtube that demonstrate how to hunt deer and other animals as well as how to field dress them, rid them of their feathers, etc...

I telling you this because I have never hunted either, but I have always wanted to try it. I looked into it heavily, but right now I have other constraints that preclude me from doing so at this time. Like you, I would prefer to have a physical guide with me, but there are a lot of good videos on youtube that make you feel like you're right there.

Also, here's the DNR website which has a lot of good information on it. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr

Good luck!

Danco411
10-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Do like 75% of the rest of Michigan hunters do. Buy the biggest caliber rifle you can find, some Elmer Fud Orange and hike out into the National Forest and sit next to a tree. :bash:

But wait...you did the correct thing and asked for help so your cool. :thumbup:

1. Decide where your going to hunt. State Forest up North or private land down south (or up North). Read regs for hunting in your chosen area to determine what you need.

2. Find a good weapon. Below the shotgun line you will want a 12 guage with a rifled barrel and a good tough scope in 3-9. Shoot 2 3/4" slugs...don't matter which. If rifle then use something that is light (unless your the Hulk) and has moderate recoil. NO MAGNUMS! Total overkill in Michigan. Since you said your already a shooter you understand this. You want a good accurate rifle in a caliber that you can afford ammo for. Practice makes perfect! In Michigan good hunting calibers are 30-30, .243, .270, .308 and 30-06 which is as big as I would go. Bolt actions are perfect. Get good glass - the most you can afford also in 3-9, no bigger than 4-12. Pick a good hunting bulled and zero your rifle and shoot a minimum of 20 rounds through it so you know it will go where you aim it. I zero a good hunting rifle to 2" high at 100 so out to 300 you can put the cross hairs on the boiler room of a deer and know you'll kill it humainly.

2. Get some good clothes. Rifle season in Michigan is Mid November which means you can get anywhere from sunny and 70 to 20 and Blizzard. Usually you will get in between but chances are it will rain. Your best bet will be a good two peice hunting suit with bibs and a parka. Don't buy Orange! Get a good camo patern for late fall and buy an orange vest and hat. This way you can use your outfit for other seasons when you get into it. Get it in midweight and layer accordingly. Nothing worse than sweating your ass off. You don't need fancy scent lock for rifle season so don't spend the money on that. Spend the money on good light insulation. I still have a set I bought 25 years ago that I use occasionally.

3. Gloves are important. Spend more proportionally on gloves. Waterproof is better because it will eventually rain. Get a cheap plastic poncho for the same reason.

4. Get a backpack or fanny pack to carry essentials like a knife, water, snacks, compass/GPS, etc. Don't load up for a month just what you need.

Once you have this stuff the rest you can learn on your own. There is a ton of info on the net about patterning whitetails. Locating them is not hard if you scout early. It's a bit late to really get going for this season but it does not mean you can't hunt this year. Your just going to have to wing it by picking the best spot and giving it a go. If your new I would not mess with tree stands. Best would be go get one of the singe chair popups they sell. Ameristep makes a good one that is basically a folding/stadium chair with a popup tent around it. Open the chair, sit and pull the tent over you. Zip windows for shooting ports. They run less than $100 and are very portable and effective. Find a good spot close to a well marked trail then back off 50 yards and sit.

You never know what will happen. Thousands of Michigan hunters just hit the woods and shoot deer, even their first time out. Michigan is loaded with deer, this year especially. Just remember the regs. Unless you have a doe tag you can only shoot a buck with 4 or more pointed antlers on ONE SIDE. So that means 8pt. So know what your shooting at. A good pair of binoculars never hurts.

Good luck!

EDIT: Great point above. Hunters safety should be mandatory!

pustulio
10-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks for asking this question. I've been interested in hunting too but don't really know how to start (and I wrestle with de-programming the "bambi killer" stuff from being a kid)

johntncm
10-18-2013, 08:42 PM
First off be very very quiet. It's wabbit season.

bolonytony24
10-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks for asking this question. I've been interested in hunting too but don't really know how to start (and I wrestle with de-programming the "bambi killer" stuff from being a kid)
:lollol: find a friend that hunts and see if he will take you along. maby even a co-worker. i would think most guys that have been raised hunting would like to pass it along. at least take you out for a day or two and show you the ropes. im not sure youtube and outdoor network gives you a good view of hunting. some of the shows are filmed on large ranches with heards like pets they can almost predict or seem to push one in front of the hunter.
i would encourage safety course(i dont think you have to take one if your over 18?) and checking in to game regulations book (this will answer the +18?)you can pick up anywhere you can buy hunt/fish liscense. good luck
FYI bambi is tastey. :brow:

pustulio
10-18-2013, 08:58 PM
:lollol: find a friend that hunts and see if he will take you along. maby even a co-worker. i would think most guys that have been raised hunting would like to pass it along. at least take you out for a day or two and show you the ropes. im not sure youtube and outdoor network gives you a good view of hunting. some of the shows are filmed on large ranches with heards like pets they can almost predict or seem to push one in front of the hunter.
i would encourage safety course(i dont think you have to take one if your over 18?) and checking in to game regulations book (this will answer the +18?)you can pick up anywhere you can buy hunt/fish liscense. good luck
FYI bambi is tastey. :brow:

Now THAT I do know :-D I do love me some venison, nice lean healthy tasty product

bolonytony24
10-18-2013, 09:09 PM
i should have added this. if you are looking to enjoy the hunting experience and the great outdoors i would recomend you start bow hunting with a compound. find a decent used one to see if you enjoy it. you could even use a crossbow if you prefer but its similar to short range rifle. its far more back to basic hunting skills than just setting up crosshairs at an animal 200yds away.
if you just want some steaks then shotgun or rifle work just fine.

chevyman
10-18-2013, 09:20 PM
If you did not live so far away, I would Teach you what you need to know about hunting deer and let you shoot your first Deer, Not much to it if you know the right way to Hunt them.

sse
10-18-2013, 09:51 PM
If you haven't taken hunter safety yet, we have a class starting on Tuesday, November 5th, over at WWCCA in Plymouth Twp, not too far from you. PM me if you need details.

pustulio
10-18-2013, 10:11 PM
If you haven't taken hunter safety yet, we have a class starting on Tuesday, November 5th, over at WWCCA in Plymouth Twp, not too far from you. PM me if you need details.
what's hunter safety cover? It's required for minors right?

sse
10-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Generally, anyone born after 01/01/1960 needs to take a hunter safety course and get a certificate in order to obtain a license to hunt. It is quite comprehensive and covers a lot.

Roundballer
10-18-2013, 11:10 PM
what's hunter safety cover? It's required for minors right?
It is required for everyone born after 1/1/60, with very few exceptions. You will also want it if you want to hunt out of state, no matter what your age is.

It is geared mostly towards hunter safety, it doesn't really cover much about how to find game, even though it is called "Hunters Education" (http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_39267---,00.html).

That link will help you find a class, or you can do it online and find some place that offers the "field day" and gives the test.

pustulio
10-18-2013, 11:13 PM
ah right on, I didn't know that.

What's the cost? Does it vary like CPL classes?

Roundballer
10-18-2013, 11:26 PM
ah right on, I didn't know that.

What's the cost? Does it vary like CPL classes?
No, the max for the whole class is $10, my club offers it for $7.

If you do it online, there is a charge for that, then the field day is a max of $10.

pustulio
10-18-2013, 11:36 PM
No, the max for the whole class is $10, my club offers it for $7.

If you do it online, there is a charge for that, then the field day is a max of $10.

alright cool, I'll start looking around for a class. Can't hurt to do it even if I don't get out and hunt.

pustulio
10-18-2013, 11:42 PM
looks like I found one that starts this week, 3 different days, all 3.5 hours a piece. Sound about right?

Roundballer
10-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Yep, it is supposed to be 10-13 hours of instruction. My club does it on Monday nights, 6-9, for four consecutive weeks, so ~ 12 hrs.

The course guide is the same for all, and the instructors all meet the same qualifications. I have not heard of problems with HE like you have with PPIH classes.

sse
10-19-2013, 08:02 AM
I think the on-line cost is 29 bucks, plus 10 bucks for the range session.

Our classes go for three consecutive week nights starting Tues, from 6:15 until about 9:00 and then to the range on Sat...10 bucks for everything.

RYANINDAVISON
10-19-2013, 10:39 AM
:lollol: find a friend that hunts and see if he will take you along. maby even a co-worker. i would think most guys that have been raised hunting would like to pass it along. at least take you out

This is your best bet. I have taught a few adults over the years. Some older than me. I have no problem showing someoone how it's done. Read, read, and read some more. But boots in the field is the real classroom.

I take a lot of pleasure in showing someone something that has been bred into me since birth.

Talking Monkey
10-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks for all the advice so far! By the way, I've got my bases covered as far as firearms go - I have a Mossberg 500 with 24" rifled barrel and 2-7x33 scope and a .308 Carbine with a 3-9x40 scope. Just need help putting them to use!

Talking Monkey
10-19-2013, 11:12 AM

What types of things are covered in the class? Any chance you have an outline you could share?

Talking Monkey
10-19-2013, 11:26 AM
...find a friend that hunts and see if he will take you along. maby even a co-worker. i would think most guys that have been raised hunting would like to pass it along. at least take you out for a day or two and show you the ropes.

After having a great time shooting each other's guns this past July 4th at the hunting lodge my brother-in-law's father shares with some other guys, I asked them if I could hunt with them this year. They said sure.

When I asked my brother-in-law about it again last week to get some details he said, "well, it'll probably be OK, but if we have too many guys coming up there, the deer might get a bit thin and the other guys might not like it....but, you're still welcome to come if you want." It was clearly a way of saying that they would prefer if I didn't join them so the next day I told him I have plans for that weekend anyway and not to worry about me - last thing I want is to insert myself somewhere that I'm not wanted.

That's why I'm back to square one and asking for help on the forum. I thought if I could find a guide/instructor, it would allow me to avoid the problem of guys not wanting to help because they don't want to give up a chance to get the deer themselves. Money has the ability to simplify human interaction - I pay the instructor, he provides the service, I hopefully learn and experience what I wanted - no favors or charity required.

sse
10-19-2013, 12:04 PM
What types of things are covered in the class? Any chance you have an outline you could share?
I really don't have an outline...just a booklet from which we teach the matters on the test, which is given on the last day. From the index...firearm equipment, basic shooting, basic hunting, primitive hunting, safety, ethics, preparation and survival (including basic first aid), wildlife conservation.

You could go to the DNR website and see how much they say about it...

bolonytony24
10-19-2013, 12:07 PM
i just got back from deer camp trip #1 this year and we had 12 guys in a tent for a week bow hunting. if you find a good piece of state land or national forest you can spread out . we have 20 acres in hillsdale but certainly can not hunt 12 guys in that area. so we usually head to the UP ouside of bark river/escanaba. decided on SW caddilac this year for bow to save gas money and be closer. i understand too many guys on private land if your boxed in or limited on space. hopefully you can find someone close to you that is willing to go. i dont think you should have to pay anyone but its an option. i do recomend someone you would trust if you are gun hunting. lots of un-safe guys around that will shoot at anything that moves or makes noise. there is a fair amount of state land north of howell and fowlerville area ive hunted. lots of deer that way too. good shotgun area near durand and cohachta. sometimes you will find many guys on opening day in state land and its overwelming. be safe, good luck

Jackam
10-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Unless you have a doe tag you can only shoot a buck with 4 or more pointed antlers on ONE SIDE. So that means 8pt.

Not a totally true statement.