PDA

View Full Version : Electronic lock gun safe question

brotheryang
10-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Hopefully this isn't too stupid of a question, but I couldn't find the answer in the "manual" that came with the safe.
Just got a Winchester 24 gun safe from Tractor Supply. Obviously, one day, the battery for the combo lock will go dead and need to be replaced. Is there a process to changing it? When I remove it, will the combo revert back to the factory settings? I wouldn't think so, that would make it rather easy for thieves to get into them by removing and replacing batteries, lol!

johnsat
10-19-2013, 09:57 PM
I have the same safe. When you change the battery the lock will remember the combination that you programmed it to.

brotheryang
10-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Great, thank you!

partdeux
10-20-2013, 08:51 AM
What happens when the electronics fail?

I have a wall safe, and one day the electronics on it failed, from a poor battery connection. Luckily it had a key access! Battery access from the inside :(

D-Man
10-21-2013, 06:25 AM
I have the same safe. When you change the battery the lock will remember the combination that you programmed it to.

That's a nice feature...

My safe has a default code that is to be used if/when the battery dies.

I 'checked' it by programming a code, removing the battery and replacing it after a few minutes.

It reverted to the factory code.

As to the other poster's question about the electronics failing....good question.

I would imagine a good lock smith would be needed...with a sawzall.

10x25mm
10-22-2013, 02:41 AM
Have two safes with the Kaba-Mas 3715 electronic locks which are very popular with safe manufacturers due to their modest cost. They store the combination in a nonvolatile memory in the lock tongue unit inside the safe door, while the battery is in the unit on the outside of the safe door. Just changed a battery with no problems. Combination did not change.

Go online and get the operator's manual for your safe lock. It will give you a lot more information than the safe manufacturer gave you. The safe manufacturers purchase these locks from third parties, so there are good manufacturers' manuals available. The safe manufacturers use the lock manufacturers' manuals to set up your lock in the first place.

Kaba-Mas has separate manuals for the inside and outside units. You may have to take the inside panel off your door to identify the exact lock model number, but most electronic locks have a label in the battery compartment or on the back side of the outside unit.

brotheryang
10-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Have two safes with the Kaba-Mas 3715 electronic locks which are very popular with safe manufacturers due to their modest cost. They store the combination in a nonvolatile memory in the lock tongue unit inside the safe door, while the battery is in the unit on the outside of the safe door. Just changed a battery with no problems. Combination did not change.

Go online and get the operator's manual for your safe lock. It will give you a lot more information than the safe manufacturer gave you. The safe manufacturers purchase these locks from third parties, so there are good manufacturers' manuals available. The safe manufacturers use the lock manufacturers' manuals to set up your lock in the first place.

Kaba-Mas has separate manuals for the inside and outside units. You may have to take the inside panel off your door to identify the exact lock model number, but most electronic locks have a label in the battery compartment or on the back side of the outside unit.
Good information, thank you!

10x25mm
10-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Here is the link to the Kaba-Mas website:

http://www.kaba-mas.com/

Here is the link to Kaba-Mas documentation, including their mechanical locks:

http://www.kaba-mas.com/Kaba-Brand/364890/documentation.html

Here is the link to their sister company, LaGard's documentation:

http://www.kaba-mas.com/LA-GARD-Brand/367238/documentation.html

50/50 chance that you will find your safe lock listed there. I am certain that S&G has similar information on their we site.

Walther
10-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Also, Winchester will sell you a 10 year warranty for $75. Go to their website and buy it, well worth the $.

brotheryang
10-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Also, Winchester will sell you a 10 year warranty for $75. Go to their website and buy it, well worth the $.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

BullPup Adict
06-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Let me play devils advocate here.... What is there to prevent taking an electronic combo lock off of safe "A" and install it on safe "B" to open safe B.

Is the combo code stored in the lock itself or on a second circuit board in the safe door? Has anyone tried this?

Inquiring minds want to know
Bull

PhotoTom
06-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Let me play devils advocate here.... What is there to prevent taking an electronic combo lock off of safe "A" and install it on safe "B" to open safe B.

Is the combo code stored in the lock itself or on a second circuit board in the safe door? Has anyone tried this?

Bull

Interesting question/thought!
I would HOPE safe/lock manufactures are smarter than that…but…

10x25mm
06-22-2014, 11:28 PM

Bull

Safe combination does not change. The outer unit is only a keypad and power unit. The inner unit inside the door has the combination.