PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here hunt with a Crossbow?

Coctailer
10-28-2013, 07:38 PM
I was at Bob's here in Hastings the other day and was marveling at the crossbow selection.

They look pretty sweet. Any advantage to these over a regular bow?

Its illegal where I come from.

Made_in_Michigan
10-28-2013, 07:51 PM
I was at Bob's here in Hastings the other day and was marveling at the crossbow selection.

If you can find someone with one. (a nice one) Shoot it a few times before you formulate your own opinion on it. They are amazing and I would consider them closer to a shotgun than a bow....

Me? My opinion... This allows non-archers to hunt in the archery season. Is that good? I don't have an issue with it because I think the DNR is a bunch of incompetent bureaucrats who haven't had the sportsman in mind for decades.

If you are packing the freezer for the family, good for you. Use whatever tools you can to try to stay legal and get the best bang for your food tax.

mikeb32
10-28-2013, 08:36 PM
I had to stop shooting my Compound because of my Neuropathy from Diabetes.

I am shooting a Scorpyd RDT 125 that was my choice.
I could no longer hold the string back on my compound very long because of the Neuropathy and the choice was go with a Crossbow or stop hunting during archery Season....I opted for the Crossbow.

bolonytony24
10-28-2013, 08:52 PM
they give you about an additional 20-30 yards than a compound. shoot fast but you will only get one shot. most are fairly noisy when fired and tough to cock. you can get crank handles on them to help cocking if you need assistance. several of my uncles have went to these as they are getting older and have harder time getting in and out of trees and drawing bow back. you can mount a scope on them and does almost give you similar range to a shotgun. mechanical broadheads like the "rage" really lay your prey open well. we had 2 deer in camp this year shot with crossbows and both went less than 60 yards. i personally still prefer my compound but i can see some clear advantages to the crossbow.

jyoung
10-28-2013, 09:06 PM
I shoot one... Ten Point Titan HLX. I have shot deer and turkey.
Best advantage is you don't get busted drawing back. Optics on them is nice.
Range still under 50 yards. I have killed out to 43 yards.
Bow hunting is still more of a challenge.

kumma
10-28-2013, 09:13 PM
I shot 2 deer this weekend using a Stryker 350. Both bolts went clean thru and a foot into the ground from my elevated stand at less than 15 yards.

Advantages are Im a much better shot with the crossbow than with my bow. The scope is a big plus, less wounded animals I would think. I can shoot out to 50 yards but wouldnt, theres no reason to.

Disadvantages are having a loaded bow for all day since its a mother to cock quietly and quickly. Its bulky and cumbersome on a treestand. I wont stalk with it due to safety concerns. Some think they are expensive, I have never let price dictate a purchase. Cant use them in the UP for late archery season, doesnt bother me as I hate winter. You will get someone on a high horse dissing you about your choice.

Try one and see for your self.

mfytczyk
10-29-2013, 12:17 AM
I have one I like it both deer I have killed with it didnt leave my sight after shooting them clean kill no tracking but I still use my regular bow as well I have had a couple times a deer come in behind me one a really nice 10 point that I could of shot with my bow but the crossbow limbs were resting agaist the tree by the time I could line up a shot so could not shoot. it doesnt take as much skill as bow can reach out farther but I wouldnt try on anything past 40 yards bow or crossbow anyways. I like it just a little bulky for stand hunting I imagine some are alot less bulky than my 400 barnnet

luckymike
10-29-2013, 08:54 PM
currently shooting an excalibur crossbow.Shot many deer with compound,recurve, and longbow.most my stands end up being set for 25yrd and under so all weapons do the job.x bow biggest advantage is that its cocked and has a scope which helps with low light.it's bulky and heavy though and doesn't carry as well in the woods.like the lightness and ability to shoot my regular bows while walking thru the woods.over the years I've had multiple opportunities to shoot deer,coyotes, grouse,etc while walking that i couldn't do with an xbow.

lwout65
10-29-2013, 09:33 PM
I shoot one... Ten Point Titan HLX. I have shot deer and turkey.
Best advantage is you don't get busted drawing back. Optics on them is nice.
Range still under 50 yards. I have killed out to 43 yards.
Bow hunting is still more of a challenge.

IMHO Ten Points are the only way to go pricy yes but the quality is second to none and so is the customer service.

I was supposed to invest in one for this season but with my foot miss hap this entire hunting season is a loss.

magoo1500
10-30-2013, 06:57 AM
have been crossbow hunting for about 4 years now,alot of people are switching to it......still have to sight it in and be a good shot,its not shooting fish in a barrel as some would think.....

for more customer service I would suggest buying from a local shop,but if you are looking to save a $.....go to dunhams with a 30% coupon and get a tenpoint titan extreme just under $600 otd.....they have a descent selection and various brands.

wrinkledshirt
10-30-2013, 12:51 PM
IMHO Ten Points are the only way to go pricy yes but the quality is second to none and so is the customer service.

I was supposed to invest in one for this season but with my foot miss hap this entire hunting season is a loss.

Don't care for the trigger guard on the tenpoint, other than that it looks great. I'm probably going to upgrade from barnett to excalibur in the next year or two. I hunt state land in a climber, so light weight is my #1 issue.

cmr19xx
10-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Don't care for the trigger guard on the tenpoint, other than that it looks great. I'm probably going to upgrade from barnett to excalibur in the next year or two. I hunt state land in a climber, so light weight is my #1 issue.

I have an Excalibur. I love it. The only negative is its size.

RSF
10-30-2013, 06:39 PM
I have owned about 6 different xbows

I now own 3 all are excaliburs my longest shot to do date has been 56 yards complete pass through on every deer and hog

best thing is they are field fixable if anything goes wrong which hasnt

smooth and accurate

I have had tenpoints, pse tac 15 thingy, hortons, and bowtechs monster

I stuck with exclaiburs......

maddog948
10-30-2013, 07:49 PM

Crossbow's are great. I was trained on a curve 45 pound bow at age 9. I could hit a maxwell large can when by brother would through it in the air. I used a crossbow when I was 54 and the arrow would blow right through the deed.

walls6976
10-30-2013, 08:31 PM
I shoot a Stryker 380....most fun you can have with your clothes on!! The optic helps my terrible eyesight, the speed and accuracy helps my confidence, and 3 shoulder surgeries ive had limited my ability to SAFELY position myself and pull a bow back..I shot an 8 point Monday morning and a huge doe Tuesday nite...both deer at 23-26 yards. I put a 2 inch hole in both and followed a blood "stream" to each deer that went maybe 50 yards. Lots of companies making quality bows and accessories. I have more fun now than ever before and feel safer doing it. Find a decent shop that will let you shoot a couple different makes and models.....its just cool and fun!! :grin: Mike

sparkman10mm
10-31-2013, 10:00 AM
I've been shooting Tenpoints for about 15 years (originally Hunter brand)
Tier 1 crossbow, CS is excellent. They also offer a spring "Tune up" special
every year that can't be topped.

I would rather still be shooting my compound, but tendonitis in my elbow
nixed that a few years ago, if not for crossbows being legalized in MI I wouldn't be hunting Archery season (probably)

wrinkledshirt
10-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Anyone ever try the Hickory Creek?

Gy8kMap1qLk

Super light, but looks kind of delicate...

bolonytony24
10-31-2013, 04:02 PM
interesting vertical crossbow. ive never seen one till now. looks pretty slick . scope must be offset a bit . i wonder how the balance is? thanks for sharing. im afraid to search it to find the price. :scratch:

dab102999
10-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Dont discount parker. Bought one for the wife and liked it so much I bought one. Smaller and lighter then ten point. I have shot probably 10000 or better arrows and now my arm wont allow it anymore. I miss bow hunting but enjoy crossbows very much. I put it in the class of muzzeloading of bow hunting. One shot is usually all you get.

BravoKilo
10-31-2013, 11:17 PM
I have owned about 6 different xbows

I now own 3 all are excaliburs my longest shot to do date has been 56 yards complete pass through on every deer and hog

best thing is they are field fixable if anything goes wrong which hasnt

smooth and accurate

I have had tenpoints, pse tac 15 thingy, hortons, and bowtechs monster

I stuck with exclaiburs......

This right here. Being self-serviceable was the biggest draw when I purchased mine. Never had issue with mine either, but being able to swap out strings in a matter of minutes is great.

As some have mentioned, the major downfall to crossbows is their bulk. Being up in a heavily covered tree can be interesting as you need to make sure both limbs are clear of any obstructions -- which can be difficult at times. Almost missed on an 8-point a couple weeks back due to this. Had him walking in right under my stand so I had to lean out quite a ways to make sure my limb didn't hit when firing.

One of the major perks is the ability to fire from a variety of positions. First deer I took with mine was a weak-handed shot at ~30 yards. Given the tree I was in, and the angle of the shot, there is no way I could have taken it with a vertical bow. That being said, I was fortunate enough to have practiced weak-handed shots and was confident in being able to land it.

Any way you cut it, there are pros and cons to both vertical and crossbows -- just need to decide which is best for you (or go with both, physical ability permitting) and practice, practice, practice.

LongBeardBuster
11-11-2013, 03:45 PM
I have had to hunt with a crossbow because of inflicted injuries. I have used a medical release in the past and started hunting this way for while, 10+ years. I have used a Horton havoc for the past couple of years and the longest shot at a deer was between 35 and 40 yards. The Turkeys I have shot were no more then 25 yards. The crossbow I started with was no more then 30 yards. I would not go any farther then that, because I do not want any wounding shots. I understand the feelings of traditional bow hunters. But I myself could not bow deer hunt any other way.

keen one
11-26-2013, 12:28 PM
I use an Excalibur, and offer no apologies or regrets to my vertical bow brethren. It is no rifle, shotgun or even compound bow. It offers another option to those who choose to use different equipment.

If the DNR offered an atlatl season I would try that too. Keep the sport in mind, not the tools. Divide and conquer is an anti's most effective strategy.

meandmyarrow
11-26-2013, 05:25 PM
I agree. It is the same as the baiting argument. Whatever the season is, use what is legal to use. The point is to get out and enjoy the hunt. Enjoy may mean different things to different persons, harvesting game or just being outside. Technology will always continue to upgrade. A prime example is inline muzzle loaders. 20 years ago everyone was all in a huff and complaining about them. Now they are mainstream. I'm sure more and more people are using crossbows and the number will continue to grow. Try a taste of everything at the buffet, there are different seasons for different tools. That equals more chances to hunt and that is what it boils down to.

Walther
11-30-2013, 10:18 AM
I just got back into archery after a 20+ year absence. They were just legalizing crossbows for handicapped hunters back then. Now, any schmuck can use one. I went back and forth, crossbow or compound for a while before I settled on the compound.

The new bows are amazing. Short, lightweight, and very fast. It's not difficult to match entry-to-mid level crossbow speed with a compound these days.

The main reason I went with the compound is I want to shoot again for fun. I used to do a lot of 3-D shooting, leagues, and just plain old spot shooting. None of that sounds like much fun with a crossbow. I don't even know if they'll let you shoot 3-D with a crossbow.

Having said all of that, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I am having a difficult time seeing things clearly. There is a definite advantage to a scope, the same thing when it comes to a long gun, iron sights no longer cut it for me.

So come next season, will I hunt with the compound? I don't know at this point, and I don't plan to limit myself. Who says I can't use both? Or, why not use the compound for fun and crossbow in the field? Right now I'm going to keep an open mind.

I will say one thing though: Do NOT be fooled by speed alone. Yes, a lighter arrrow out of a fast crossbow will shoot flatter, but it will also penetrate less. It takes two things to produce the kinetic energy needed to penetrate: Speed and weight. A fast light arrow will not penetrate any differently than a slow heavy arrow. If the laws of physics didn't exist, we'd all be shooting as heavy an arrow as possible out of the fastest launching device possible.

The huge advances in design of both the compound and crossbow have rendered some of this discussion moot, but it still hangs there in the background. The biggest issue is distance. A super light arrow at 60 yards is going to have lost a tremendous amount of energy, while a heavy arrow would retain more energy at a greater distance, if you could get it to go that far!

You cannot change physics. There's always a trade off.