PDA

View Full Version : Antler Mount

Jonnysea
11-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Decided to make my own antler mount this year. Shot this 5 point during bow season in Tuscola County. I made the plaque out of maple. It was a little challenging to get it just right but I think the end product turned out pretty good.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u262/Jonsea/Plaque_zpsd015836b.jpg (http://s170.photobucket.com/user/Jonsea/media/Plaque_zpsd015836b.jpg.html)

magoo1500
11-20-2013, 08:24 PM
looks good!

Made_in_Michigan
11-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Memories fail after a while. You may want to add a card to the back or a plaque to the front with the year, where you took it etc. Will give far more meaning to you and other who look at it 25 years from now...

Nice job

RMC
11-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Nice job! I have several sets of antlers and some still with the skulls I need to do something with.

Walther
11-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Memories fail after a while. You may want to add a card to the back or a plaque to the front with the year, where you took it etc. Will give far more meaning to you and other who look at it 25 years from now...

Nice job

Yeah, that^

Or for about $10 you can have a small brass plaque engraved at a trophy shop.

I shot a really nice turkey back in the early 90's and had it mounted. If it wasn't for the plaque I put on the mount I couldn't tell you when.

Notice I said 'in the early 90's? That's because I'm not by the mount and can't tell you what year without looking at the plaque.

I rest my case!

wardog6t
11-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Very Cool...

Jonnysea
11-21-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm convinced. I like the brass plate idea. Thanks for the kind words and suggestions.

mjerickson
11-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Great job, the gold braid is a nice touch.

I have done this with pretty much every buck I have taken over the years. Its a nice winter project after the season is done. I typically will polish the antlers with a course paper towel for a few hours( puts a nice shine on them without using lacquer that may peel over time. My wife makes up a parchment plaque with the date, and I then superglue either the broadhead or shell casing under that.

Sledhead
11-22-2013, 10:42 AM
The brass plate is a good idea. Then people can just read it and you don't have to tell the story a million times unless that is something you enjoy.
I have one I mounted similar to your mount design and put the kill tag on the back. That was the last one I did. I have a couple 8-9 points just hanging around in the shed because I rally don't have any place to put them anyways.

langenc
11-22-2013, 11:12 PM
County name where shot
Date shot
Rifle used, maybe

All things that can be put on the plate

Donzie
11-23-2013, 12:29 PM

Nice job
I always stick the kill tag to the back. I like the European mounts and use pine cross cuts from the craft store with a dark stain.

bandanabandit1
11-26-2013, 12:18 AM
That looks very cool, next time look into making what is known as a "European Skull Mount".