PDA

View Full Version : i completed hunters safety course when i was 12, lost paperwork

letters4name
11-21-2013, 09:06 AM
I had to take the hunters safety course to go hunting squirrels and rabbits with my dad. I am no longer in contact with him and he has the paperwork. I took the course at Pinkney high school in Pinkney Michigan . I think that I was 12 +/- when i took the class and I am 37 now. Is my name on a list somewhere proving that I completed the course?

Thanks
Doug

detroitbassist
11-21-2013, 09:18 AM
they sent it out quickly, and it was free.

https://secure1.state.mi.us/dupcertrequest/

NorthernBorn
11-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Are you supposed to provide a hunter's safety certificate to buy a license? It's been over 10 years and I don't remember.

mikeb32
11-21-2013, 10:43 AM
My Son is now 29 and took his when he was 13 or 14, he has never been asked for it since he hit like 20, they normally ask if he has ever taken the course, he says yes, and that is it.

NorthernBorn
11-21-2013, 10:55 AM
My Son is now 29 and took his when he was 13 or 14, he has never been asked for it since he hit like 20, they normally ask if he has ever taken the course, he says yes, and that is it.

When I bought my tags and small game license two days ago they only asked for my driver's license. That's why I asked here.

tenthumbs
11-21-2013, 12:12 PM
When I bought my tags and small game license two days ago they only asked for my driver's license. That's why I asked here.

When You sign your license You are agreeing to this:

" I hereby certify that I qualify to purchase this license in accordance with residency and hunter safety requirements as provided by PA 451 of 1994"

It's right on the license.

45 acp
11-21-2013, 01:07 PM
You do not need the actual certificate to buy a licnese in Michigan.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(41gwnsr1rumiqtr50kf4w2ng))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-324-43520

(2) A person authorized to sell hunting licenses shall not issue a hunting license to an individual born after January 1, 1960, unless the individual presents proof of previous hunting experience in the form of a hunting license issued by this state, another state, a province of Canada, or another country or presents a certification of completion of training in hunter safety issued to the individual by this state, another state, a province of Canada, or another country. If an applicant for a hunting license does not have proof of such a previous license or a certification of completion of training in hunter safety, a person authorized to sell hunting licenses may issue a hunting license if the applicant submits a signed affidavit stating that the applicant has completed a course in hunter safety or that the applicant possessed such a hunting license previously. The person selling a hunting license shall record as specified by the department the form of proof of the previous hunting experience or certification of completion of hunter safety training presented by the applicant.

tenthumbs
11-21-2013, 05:04 PM
I've never seen the affidavit, but I'm not saying it doesn't exist.

I think most license agents treat signing the license the same as the affidavit.

NorthernBorn
11-21-2013, 06:13 PM
I used the link provided above to request a copy of my certificate.

letters4name
11-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the responses but i should of searched google first since i figured out how to get another resent. I didnt know that anyone could just get a hunting license without actually showing that they've completed the hunters safety course. Kind of defeats the purpose of those that are around you with guns that dont exactly know for instance "When crossing a fence with a rifle do you?
A:make sure the gun isn't loaded before crossing
B:cross carefully with gun pointed at the ground
C: place gun on the ground and then cross the fence.
D: chuck the gun over the fence and follow it.

I hope the guy in the woods unbeknownst to me has some safety knowledge!

ductileiron98
11-21-2013, 10:48 PM
I took mine 33 years ago. I still have all of my paperwork and final test, patches in there too.

moose67
11-22-2013, 08:07 AM
To get a lic/ tag in some other state you may be required to show proof of taking a hunters safety class

westcliffe01
11-22-2013, 07:49 PM
I believe that the first time you buy a hunting license in MI, the staff will want to see the certificate. Once you are liested in the DNR database, you are considered "good" regarding the certificate. But go out of state, you have to have a copy of the cert in your actual posession.