PDA

View Full Version : School Firearms Safety Program

CyborgWarrior
12-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I have not heard much about it, is it still being done?
If so any numbers to brag about.

I was talking to a bud in SoCal, he was bitching about how the state was clamping down on everything gun, I told him Michigan was so pro gun we taught firearms safety in elementary school. He liked it. So I thought I would ask.

XDM 40 cal
12-18-2013, 09:52 PM
I have not heard much about it, is it still being done?
If so any numbers to brag about.

I was talking to a bud in SoCal, he was bitching about how the state was clamping down on everything gun, I told him Michigan was so pro gun we taught firearms safety in elementary school. He liked it. So I thought I would ask.

Well, not anymore, most if not all schools axed there ROTC Class, and if there are still some they don't teach or shoot.. Sad ...

If there are any, I'm sure someone will chime in...

who dat
12-18-2013, 10:53 PM
NRA's Eddie Eagle is approved for many school districts but is rarely implemented AFAIK.

Check with them.

CyborgWarrior
12-19-2013, 07:19 AM
NRA's Eddie Eagle is approved for many school districts but is rarely implemented AFAIK.

Check with them.
Actually the program, as I understood, was done by mgo members.
I guess it just went away.

who dat
12-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Actually the program, as I understood, was done by mgo members.
I guess it just went away.
A known program may be the way to go.

RYANINDAVISON
12-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Teaching firearms saftey in schools woudl save more lives than having a cop come in and tell kids to stay away from guns. Which they did at my sons school

XDM 40 cal
12-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Teaching firearms saftey in schools woudl save more lives than having a cop come in and tell kids to stay away from guns. Which they did at my sons school

yep this is how the anti's are doing it... Teach a respect the firearm and Fear would not be a issue...

SeeTee
12-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Just a few comments, the firearm safety presented by MGO in the schools was a program devolved by the NSSF* of which MGO is a member.

IMHO we need, 1- volunteers to get back up to speed with a program and be willing to go out into the school environment, along with a crew chief to support the volunteers.

2-We need parents in the school districts to get involved and demand that classes be presented in their child's school, MGO invited into schools is what works the best and maybe the only way to get this in front of students.

*National Shooting Sports Foundation

CyborgWarrior
12-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Just a few comments, the firearm safety presented by MGO in the schools was a program devolved by the NSSF* of which MGO is a member.

IMHO we need, 1- volunteers to get back up to speed with a program and be willing to go out into the school environment, along with a crew chief to support the volunteers.

2-We need parents in the school districts to get involved and demand that classes be presented in their child's school, MGO invited into schools is what works the best and maybe the only way to get this in front of students.

*National Shooting Sports Foundation
That's it.
What is the current status?

Tallbear
12-22-2013, 10:14 AM
A law was passed to "encourage" school districts to adopt a program for gun safety.

380.1163 Gun safety instruction for elementary school pupils; model program.Sec. 1163.
(1) Not later than August 1, 2011, the department shall develop or adopt, and shall make available to schools, 1 or more model programs for gun safety instruction for elementary school pupils. The model program shall adopt or be based on the "Eddie Eagle" gunsafe accident prevention program developed by the national rifle association.

(2) Each school district and public school academy is encouraged to adopt and implement the model gun safety instruction program developed under subsection (1) in at least grade 3 beginning in the 2011-2012 school year.

The class taught by MGO and M2A doesn't meet this criteria. So, a different program would need to be used when getting these classes started again.

CyborgWarrior
12-22-2013, 11:48 AM
A law was passed to "encourage" school districts to adopt a program for gun safety.

380.1163 Gun safety instruction for elementary school pupils; model program.Sec. 1163.
(1) Not later than August 1, 2011, the department shall develop or adopt, and shall make available to schools, 1 or more model programs for gun safety instruction for elementary school pupils. The model program shall adopt or be based on the "Eddie Eagle" gunsafe accident prevention program developed by the national rifle association.

(2) Each school district and public school academy is encouraged to adopt and implement the model gun safety instruction program developed under subsection (1) in at least grade 3 beginning in the 2011-2012 school year.

The class taught by MGO and M2A doesn't meet this criteria. So, a different program would need to be used when getting these classes started again.

Best gun law I ever read

who dat
12-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Best gun law I ever read
Would have been better if it was part of the mandatory curriculum.

Tallbear
12-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Would have been better if it was part of the mandatory curriculum.

I tried to get that change but there was resistance to "mandate" it.

CyborgWarrior
12-22-2013, 01:16 PM
I tried to get that change but there was resistance to "mandate" it.
Good work on getting what you got. I really mean that.
I'm happily surprised.

Do you know if any other states have similar legislation?

Roundballer
12-22-2013, 06:41 PM
As in Tallbears' post, the law, MCL 380-1163 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-380-1163) says "the department shall". That would be the Department of Education. I wonder if the "shall" portion has been done.

There is also another law, a direction for the MSP: MCL 28-16 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-16).

(1) The department shall establish and maintain a firearms safety program to educate children about the dangerous nature and safe handling of firearms. The department shall make the program available to local school districts.

I also wonder if that has ever been done.

Getting the schools to use either of these is a whole other hurdle. It would take pressure from the voters of the districts to get them to move on it.

langenc
12-24-2013, 10:35 AM
The above is probably why Eddie Eagle has ben very quiet lately.

It could still be used for Cub/Boy Scouts maybe every two years in every community.

Some educated are better than none.