PDA

View Full Version : Finally ordered my 1st safe - now, WHO to move it

tiamat
12-23-2013, 10:21 AM
So after much deliberation, I finally placed an order for my first gun safe. Ended up going with a Sturdy Safe 2723. Now before we get into semantics, yes, I realize it's a 'Residential Security Container' and not a 'safe'...

Anyway, I'm looking to put this on the 2nd floor of the house, and at ~750 or so pounds I'm not looking to do this myself. I don't care what kind of dolly I can get, it's just not going to happen by me.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on movers. I know lots of people will suggest Able safe, but I'm looking for others as well. Has anyone used Howard Safe in Redford before? I've also used Morse moving co. to move an upright piano once, so I might see what they say too.

TIA

oldskoolford427
12-23-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm sure others will chime in but at 750lbs, I would farm out the heavy lifting and the pros make it look easy and save your back or damage to your house.

Unclered
12-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Take the door off & it will be 200# lighter. Young men + pvc the egyptian way

tiamat
12-23-2013, 11:56 AM
original post's title edited to reflect what I'm really after - and that is WHO to move it, not how.

There are 15 stairs it needs to go up, not including the 3 steps up to get into the house. 200 pounds lighter or not, I'm not moving this, and have no one else to help with it. This is why I'm looking for recommendations on safe movers.

Thanks

cmr19xx
12-23-2013, 12:33 PM
What will that baby weigh after its loaded up?

At the risk of starting a debate that has been beat to death, I hope you've got some strong floor joists on the 2nd floor. Depending on where you place it and the construction of your home it could be a problem. You'll be approaching the weight where one should really consider adding structural support.

kjs357
12-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Able Safe. 13 mile and Mound.

Professional, Discreet and Experienced.

Norton
12-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Howard/Redford safe. Used to be the only approved mover for Gander.
I know a lot of people who used them, never an issue.
Norton

costanza
12-25-2013, 10:30 AM
original post's title edited to reflect what I'm really after - and that is WHO to move it, not how.

There are 15 stairs it needs to go up, not including the 3 steps up to get into the house. 200 pounds lighter or not, I'm not moving this, and have no one else to help with it. This is why I'm looking for recommendations on safe movers.

Thanks
Do a search in this heading, look for a guy called nicon77, or nikon77, or something similar. He is, or was a member here a year or two ago. He does this for a living and moved mine for a good price. You are right in having it moved. And sometimes vault doors do not come off for moving.

tiamat
12-26-2013, 09:47 AM
thanks for the suggestion.

also, I mis-quoted the weight. I was looking at the fire-lined safe, which I did not go with. The non-fire-lined safe is quoted as being 632lbs shipping weight. Minus the pallet and cardboard, it's probably more like 620lbs and minus the door it's probably down to 475, but I'm still not moving it myself. And, I have a sturdily-built house from the '30's, back when they used real wood in construction. I think the floor will be fine.

Is there any other local company that specializes in safe moving? What about that place in Garden City, i think it used to be in Dearborn and called Blue Star Safe or something?

partdeux
12-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Get a hold of the member that moves them. He does a fantastic job!

tiamat
12-26-2013, 01:48 PM
thanks for the recommendation, I've PM'd Nicon_77

biohawk1
12-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Able Safe. 13 mile and Mound.

Professional, Discreet and Experienced.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

tiamat
02-13-2014, 10:17 AM
So just an update - I ended up going with Howard Safe Co.

My first install day got postponed due to their truck getting stuck in some snow during the delivery before me, so that kinda sucked but kinda out of their control I suppose (I guess they only have 1 truck/moving team?).
They came the next day and had it in place in about 45 minutes start to finish. I was sweating just watching them.

They did a good job - one small ding in a doorway molding, and some minor rubbing on the molding of the door of the closet I had them put it in, but they literally only have 1/8" of space to work with to get it through those doors so I'm not complaining - I was partly expecting to have to remove the molding just to fit it in place. Nothing a few dabs of paint can't fix.

I still have some things to do like final positioning and bolting it to the floor, etc but the combo's have been changed, and all the weapons spent their first night in it already. I think I even slept a little better.

I'm giddy though. This has been a long endeavor, but I finally feel like I've made a significant step forward in responsible gun ownership. Plus I just like opening and closing and staring at that safe.

Who knew you could get so excited about a steel box?

plumbum
02-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Howard/Redford safe. Used to be the only approved mover for Gander.
I know a lot of people who used them, never an issue.
Norton

i used them to move my safe about 7yrs ago. i have a patriot safe. i had it drop shipped at their shop and then they brought it out. back then it was about $260 i beleive for delivery and the safe weighed 755lbs empty. they used the special machine to move it into my basement. even with the machine it took prob 20min with no real obstructions in the way at the time. highly recommend those guys. another thing people dont mention. yeah, i could probably have moved it myself, BUT i guarantee it wouldnt be in perfect shape either...

http://www.patriotsafe.com/Protector-24-gun-safe-2-hour-fire-1880-2014-LEO-Special-_p_500.html