PDA

View Full Version : Bait?

Musta Demoni
01-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Is there anywhere in SE Michigan that a guy can buy some frozen smelt for bait? Or order them from somewhere at a reasonable price/quality?

24ever
01-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Is there anywhere in SE Michigan that a guy can buy some frozen smelt for bait? Or order them from somewhere at a reasonable price/quality?

Good luck with that, I found it once during the past 16 years. Andrew's Fish Market (or something similar) on Gratiot in Roseville had a case of whole smelt that they had in their freezer for zoological, or fish food. I bought 5lbs. of the stuff and caught more pike in one week than any fishing over the course of one year combined! After that year, no one at that fish market counter knew anything about non-cleaned smelt. Too bad, smelt work great as pike "dead bait".

Musta Demoni
01-15-2014, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I figured as much. I was just hoping somebody had a little place they knew of that might have em. But that is exactly my intent... dead bait for pike. I loathe dealing with live minnows/suckers/etc.

I guess I'll have to get my arse out and do some dipping this spring and keep some in the freezer for this time of year.

Danger Dan
01-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Just go to Meijers or Krogers and buy a package of cleaned smelt.....

Pike don't give a crap if there cleaned and gutted.........trust me......

langenc
01-16-2014, 12:00 AM
Up around Houghton lake(the cut, wherever that is) you can fish thru the ice and catch your own.

McCormick Lake near Atlanta used to have a smelt population. Id bet they are still there.

Musta Demoni
01-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Just go to Meijers or Krogers and buy a package of cleaned smelt.....

Pike don't give a crap if there cleaned and gutted.........trust me......

Makes sense... I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work, I'll just fry them up. Win/win.