PDA

View Full Version : Don't clean multiple identical guns...

nrich1979
01-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Had a scare last night while cleaning a few of my guns..

Yes I sometimes just clean them..

Well I emptied them all checked to make sure they were unloaded..

Started cleaning one..

Finished one..

Loaded it..

Set it aside started cleaning the next..

The process went on for a while as I was cleaning them..

By the end it's nearly 3 am

I pick up what I think is the last one go to strip it down and as my finger is the trigger.. I pause and check and one in the chamber..

Lesson learned..

I was half trigger pull from new flooring..

Just figured I would share as I made multiple mistakes..

Watched tv.. Kept loaded and unloaded together.. Cleaned and lost track of loaded.. And did it when I was tired..

wizzi01
01-12-2014, 09:59 AM

Yes I sometimes just clean them..

Well I emptied them all checked to make sure they were unloaded..

Started cleaning one..

Finished one..

Loaded it..

Set it aside started cleaning the next..

The process went on for a while as I was cleaning them..

By the end it's nearly 3 am

I pick up what I think is the last one go to strip it down and as my finger is the trigger.. I pause and check and one in the chamber..

Lesson learned..

I was half trigger pull from new flooring..

Just figured I would share as I made multiple mistakes..

Watched tv.. Kept loaded and unloaded together.. Cleaned and lost track of loaded.. And did it when I was tired..

Or maybe don't load any weapons until you are finished cleaning them?

TangoDown3727
01-12-2014, 10:21 AM

This is much better advice! ^^^

Imshootin
01-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Also, if partaking of any spirits, no ammo should even be in the same room.

RECON762WT
01-12-2014, 10:54 AM

Thanks for sharing, it helps to remind me how dangerous our sport can be. I had a similar experience last year. It scared me a lot and made me rethink how I was handling firearms at home:puppyeye:.

Complacency kills. I know a big part of my close call was just related to a messy/unorganized gun room and gun safe. I now keep everything more organized and ammo in two areas; 1) long term high volume storage in ammo cans, and 2) one box with half full mags and loose rounds of different calibers. No ammo floats around the house anymore in different locations.

MP Miller
01-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Just check the chamber every time you handle another gun.

If I would have done this I would have named this "I almost skipped a step and did something stupid but I didn't because I'm so bad ass"

nrich1979
01-12-2014, 10:56 AM
All good advice..

I don't drink or do drugs so I don't have that issue..

but yeah.. I made a lot of mistakes last night because I was careless..

I've cleaned dozens of guns hundreds of times..

I love cleaning my guns..

I just wasn't focused..

but it was startling that something I could do without looking was so close to being an issue..

shenny88
01-12-2014, 12:59 PM
All good advice..

I don't drink or do drugs so I don't have that issue..

but yeah.. I made a lot of mistakes last night because I was careless..

I've cleaned dozens of guns hundreds of times..

I love cleaning my guns..

I just wasn't focused..

but it was startling that something I could do without looking was so close to being an issue..

Thanks for sharing. Its a good reminder.

I try to always make sure ammo is not in the same room as any firearms being cleaned. We're all capable of mistakes.

pinkguns3
01-12-2014, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=RECON762WT]Thanks for sharing, it helps to remind me how dangerous our sport can be. I had a similar experience last year. It scared me a lot and made me rethink how I was handling firearms at home:puppyeye:.

Complacency kills. I know a big part of my close call was just related to a messy/unorganized gun room and gun safe. I now keep everything more organized and ammo in two areas; 1) long term high volume storage in ammo cans, and 2) one box with half full mags and loose rounds of different calibers. No ammo floats around the house anymore in different locations.[/

Can never be too careful!

langenc
01-13-2014, 02:19 PM

I dont have any ammo where the cleaning is going on-ever!!

XDM 40 cal
01-14-2014, 08:33 PM
If your clean one or 100, Clean first then load them after. If needed.

Also don't clean when sleepy...

piecesmaker
01-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Glad it worked out well. Appreciate you sharing. That's helpful to me.

hendo
01-16-2014, 09:44 AM

And we have a winner! If you don't want to be without protection whilst cleaning, load up a shotty to have in reach.

Dabears!
01-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Rule number one no ammunition of any kind near guns being worked on.
Glad you're alright buddy.

JDG
01-21-2014, 06:16 AM
I have a fool proof method....
If its in a holster, its loaded *or* If its loaded, its in a holster

Never, ever do I leave a loaded weapon just sitting around naked....

il Padrino
01-24-2014, 04:21 PM
My rule of safety is to assume all/any guns are loaded.
That forces me to check and unload ( even if I know it's not loaded) everytime I pick one up for cleaning or just handling.

MP Miller
01-25-2014, 08:59 AM

I like this.

The only loaded guns in my house that are loaded and not in a holster are in their "place".

Leader
01-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Also, if partaking of any spirits, no ammo should even be in the same room.

Wow!

I'm REALLY lucky.........

I n had a drink the other night while watching TV and there was a LOADED gun on my hip, more close by, and a loaded shotgun just up the stairs.

Hundreds of rounds of ammo in the same room & NOTHING went BOOM.

I should have bought a lottery ticket.

shenny88
01-25-2014, 08:08 PM

Nice, i do the same thing.

tyler79durdan
02-05-2014, 08:47 AM
My personal practice... check for clear on every weapon I handle, every time. Even in the LGS! Thanks for reminding us how important it is to safely handle ourselves while dealing with potentially dangerous objects! P.S. The object becomes dangerous during any physical human interaction.

-t79d

Slossar1004
02-06-2014, 08:09 PM
I didn't know there was a difference between a loaded gun and an unloaded gun. They're all loaded. All the time. No matter what. Even if they're unloaded they're loaded.

Thanks for sharing.

wsr
02-06-2014, 08:15 PM
I didn't know there was a difference between a loaded gun and an unloaded gun. They're all loaded. All the time. No matter what. Even if they're unloaded they're loaded.

Thanks for sharing.

You never dry fire or function check your guns?

Slossar1004
02-06-2014, 10:52 PM
You never dry fire or function check your guns?

OP's finger was on the trigger before he knew the condition of the weapon. Among other things, he said he was half a pull away from needing new flooring. If your finger is on the trigger, expect to f something up.

We're taught from day one - they're all loaded all of the time. From the Boy Scouts to boot camp, it's sure to be in the top three of the most basic weapon handling rules. I don't care how salty a person thinks they are, if you treat it any other way you're being careless. Or just plain stupid.

OP, not bashing you. Glad you put yourself in check before having to call the 1-800-Empire guys in for a new floor....or an ambulance for a hole in the foot.

nrich1979
02-06-2014, 11:01 PM
I knew I did something wrong when I did it.. That's what made me stop..

I did a lot of things wrong from the time I started to the point I put an "all stop" to the entire chain of events..

I don't mind being told all of the mistakes I made because I made a lot..

I posted this thread because it was really lucky that I didn't get a consequence for all of the stupid things I did..

wsr
02-06-2014, 11:05 PM
OP's finger was on the trigger before he knew the condition of the weapon. Among other things, he said he was half a pull away from needing new flooring. If your finger is on the trigger, expect to f something up.

We're taught from day one - they're all loaded all of the time. From the Boy Scouts to boot camp, it's sure to be in the top three of the most basic weapon handling rules. I don't care how salty a person thinks they are, if you treat it any other way you're being careless. Or just plain stupid.

OP, not bashing you. Glad you put yourself in check before having to call the 1-800-Empire guys in for a new floor....or an ambulance for a hole in the foot.

What we are told and the real world are two different things is my point the "always loaded all the time no matter what" mantra is great with new shooters when all you want or need from them is obedience
Once they understand the dangers and responsibility involved you have to move on to more realistic expectations and teach them to actually think and perform in the real world

Slossar1004
02-07-2014, 06:55 AM
What we are told and the real world are two different things is my point the "always loaded all the time no matter what" mantra is great with new shooters when all you want or need from them is obedience
Once they understand the dangers and responsibility involved you have to move on to more realistic expectations and teach them to actually think and perform in the real world

IMHO, in a firearms safety forum this is a pretty irresponsible and bold thing to say. You have a broad audience with many different levels of experience.

From General Officer to recruit, cradle to grave: always loaded is solid advice for all skill levels.

As I put my soapbox back in the closet I'll leave with this parting shot; I sincerely hope you're never the guy who says "I thought it wasn't loaded."

wsr
02-07-2014, 07:03 AM
IMHO, in a firearms safety forum this is a pretty irresponsible and bold thing to say. You have a broad audience with many different levels of experience.

From General Officer to recruit, cradle to grave: always loaded is solid advice for all skill levels.

As I put my soapbox back in the closet I'll leave with this parting shot; I sincerely hope you're never the guy who says "I thought it wasn't loaded."

I go back to, you never dry fire or function check your firearms?

They are not always loaded no matter what.
They loaded until verified to be unloaded

Slossar1004
02-07-2014, 07:43 AM
They loaded until verified to be unloaded

You're paraphrasing.

I agree, and I will no longer say "always loaded." Henceforth I will say "loaded until verified to be unloaded."

I still don't think it's a mantra that benefits only new shooters.

StoneyBones
02-07-2014, 08:00 AM

I would much rather see instructors emphasizing how to properly check your weapon(and practice doing it) instead of just assume its loaded. I dont assume anything that my life is depending on.

DTruck
02-15-2014, 05:11 AM
A guy on the 68forums gave himself a ceiling repair job for Valentine's Day:
All guns are loaded (http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?46264-Rule-1-Treat-every-gun-as-if-it-were-loaded-(because-it-might-be))

StoneyBones
02-15-2014, 07:43 AM
"i know this has been beat in to all of us but i was just cleaning my H&K USP40C and cleared the gun after taking the mag out. i don't normally carry this one so when a shell didn't extract i thought it was empty. never bothered to look. pointed it away from me and pulled the trigger"

sorry but he was reckless and stupid. This does nothing to make me think the mantra "always loaded" is any more justified.

What it does make me think is that there are A LOT of careless folks with firearms out there.

DTruck
02-15-2014, 07:59 AM
Also insert the "He's an LEO" quip.

StoneyBones
02-15-2014, 08:01 AM
Also insert the "He's an LEO" quip.

Couldnt be...I heard they go through some kind of special training to make sure they can operate one of those things. /purple font

oldskoolford427
02-15-2014, 08:14 AM
I am glad you did not have to learn the HARD way!! It is these kind of reminders that reinforce the safe handling of my guns at anytime!!
Thank You for sharing!!!

whipsnade
02-21-2014, 11:22 PM
My rule of safety is to assume all/any guns are loaded.
That forces me to check and unload ( even if I know it's not loaded) everytime I pick one up for cleaning or just handling.

This is the only rule as far as I am concerned. Experience has taught me that it is correct and it has proven to be lifesaving.
Incident 1) I was a a gunsmith's shop and during examination of the gun I wanted worked on I was handed a pistol with a round in the chamber.

Incident 2) A LEO friend stopped by to see me and I asked to see his Glock since I had never handled one before (this was a few years ago). He handed me his pistol and when I went to safety check it, it had a round in the chamber.

In addition to those incidents I have been at two gun shows where shots were fired from weapons being examined for sale. At one show the round entered the ceiling, at the other show the round entered someone's thigh.

Both were some years ago but I still am wary at gun shows when people are sweeping barrels around as if they are toys. I always assume a gun is loaded unless the bolt or cylinder is open and I have checked it. I do not trust anyone else to check it. That may sound crazy but it is up to me to protect me.

JDG
02-22-2014, 06:48 AM
This is the only rule as far as I am concerned. Experience has taught me that it is correct and it has proven to be lifesaving.
Incident 1) I was a a gunsmith's shop and during examination of the gun I wanted worked on I was handed a pistol with a round in the chamber.

Incident 2) A LEO friend stopped by to see me and I asked to see his Glock since I had never handled one before (this was a few years ago). He handed me his pistol and when I went to safety check it, it had a round in the chamber.

In addition to those incidents I have been at two gun shows where shots were fired from weapons being examined for sale. At one show the round entered the ceiling, at the other show the round entered someone's thigh.

Both were some years ago but I still am wary at gun shows when people are sweeping barrels around as if they are toys. I always assume a gun is loaded unless the bolt or cylinder is open and I have checked it. I do not trust anyone else to check it. That may sound crazy but it is up to me to protect me.
Sounds like you hang with some dangerous folks!:hick:
Always have the slide locked back when you hand someone a pistol, whats wrong with people! Same goes for rifles... open bolt, or locked open on a semi auto.

whipsnade
02-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Sounds like you hang with some dangerous folks!:hick:

I guess my point is that even with experienced folk (old time gunsmith, LEO)
you still have to rely on yourself. See the post about "what a .45 in the hand" looks like.

Check and double check, no matter who you are dealing with. I even check up on myself even though I am certain it is not loaded. It only takes a second and costs nothing.

XDM 40 cal
08-12-2021, 04:52 PM
:salute: Dusted off this post...

fatskater
08-12-2021, 08:12 PM
In the process of doing annual check and lube on mine. Only take a 3 or 4 at a time and pop the mag and check handguns and open bolts on the rifles while at the safe.

30thirty06
08-13-2021, 03:34 PM
definitely a good reminder to everyone. Thanks for dusting it off!

AxlMyk
08-23-2021, 12:57 PM
:salute: Dusted off this post...

Even after 7 yrs it is still a good thread.

I was doing dry fire after a cleaning and something made me insert the mag and rack it. Took the mag out and dry fired a live gun. Shot a 9mm into a box of. 380 pills, destroying 20 of them.
Shook me up and taught me something.