PDA

View Full Version : Never been hunting, where to start?

Bisley12
01-13-2014, 05:43 PM
I am new to gun ownership, especially compared to most of you, and have never been hunting. As an adult, are there any classes I need to take to be able to get the various licenses through out the year? Also, do any of you know any good resources where I can learn the ins and outs of hunting legally, such as public/state land rules, fire arm restrictions and so on?

tenthumbs
01-13-2014, 06:26 PM
I am new to gun ownership, especially compared to most of you, and have never been hunting. As an adult, are there any classes I need to take to be able to get the various licenses through out the year? Also, do any of you know any good resources where I can learn the ins and outs of hunting legally, such as public/state land rules, fire arm restrictions and so on?

Yes. I recommend that you start here.

http://www.mi.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10369_46346---,00.html

crankythunder
01-13-2014, 06:55 PM
The DNR website is a good start......

best bet is to find a mentor if possible.

where are you located anyways?

Cranky

bolonytony24
01-13-2014, 07:06 PM
he is "here" or "there" lol . hunters safety course and small game is a good start. I do agree with finding a mentor be it a friend, co-worker, neighbor, someone on this site. I would think that most guys that have been raised around hunting would be happy to pass along some help if you are close.

benjamindurtka
01-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Know your target and WHAT IS BEYOND IT!
There have been many many times, especially on public land where I have seen orange behind many a potential meal. Watch your muzzle, keep your finger off the trigger etc.
Its all "basic" I know. But like breathing its important and can keep you and your buddy alive.

DTruck
01-13-2014, 10:52 PM
If you're on the computer quite a bit, I would recommend that you go through this online "class". When you finish it, it will count as the 2 day course to get your Hunters Safety cert. All you need to do then is the Field portion.
Personally, I felt that I absorbed the information better while doing the course at my leisure, instead of a classroom setting.
Michigan Online Hunters Safety Course (http://www.hunter-ed.com/michigan/)

Walther
01-17-2014, 09:47 AM
Maybe if you put an actual location in your profile someone may offer to take you hunting with them. You can get an apprentice license if someone is willing to be your mentor, then worry about you HS course this summer.

Still plenty of time for squirrel and rabbit.

TomE
01-17-2014, 02:47 PM
I see lots of squirrels in my backyard, where it's legal to hunt them and I don't hunt or shoot them,but a newbie would be welcome to.:crosshai:

Bisley12
01-20-2014, 08:09 PM
If you're on the computer quite a bit, I would recommend that you go through this online "class". When you finish it, it will count as the 2 day course to get your Hunters Safety cert. All you need to do then is the Field portion.
Personally, I felt that I absorbed the information better while doing the course at my leisure, instead of a classroom setting.

This may be up my ally.

Thanks for all the other info as well. I may be able to go with my brother in law some time, though he lives on the other side of the state. Me, I am in Macomb county.

Wolvee
01-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Pick a permit, buy an orange hat, grab a shotgun and go sit in the woods.

DTruck
01-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Good advice... let's not over-complicate anything.
However, he did mention "new to gun ownership".

Walther
01-22-2014, 07:37 AM

Good advice... let's not over-complicate anything.
However, he did mention "new to gun ownership".

It's actually bad advice, he'd be breaking the law and subjecting himself to all kinds of problems, including confiscation of his gun.

Take the HS course or go with a mentor.

DTruck
01-22-2014, 08:01 AM
It's actually bad advice, he'd be breaking the law and subjecting himself to all kinds of problems, including confiscation of his gun.

Take the HS course or go with a mentor.
He didn't mention his age. However, I don't mean to be argumentative - knowing the right things to do, starts at the HS class.

Walther
01-22-2014, 11:13 AM
He didn't mention his age.

You're right, and I missed that.

Since we don't know...

If you were born BEFORE 1960, follow Wolvee's advice.

If you were born in 1960 or later, take the course or get a mentor.

jgreen
01-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Aside from any classes that you can take, I would recommend learning the in's and out's of your firearms first. Learning how to load and unload your weapon, making it safe while walking through the woods, etc...

As some have mentioned, try and find someone to take you out hunting with them. To me, this is the best way to gain experience depending on who you go with. Try to make sure they have experience hunting legally and safely.

Some areas even have guided hunts that you could take advantage of if you have the $$.